Still can't use emoji?

I’ve posted that I’m having this issue before, but it’s been several weeks with no fix, so: I continue to not have the option to react to posts with emoji—I only have a like option.

I have been told that I should see emoji if I hover over the like button, but instead I only get a tooltip, as in the image below—is the tooltip interfering with the emoji popup?
I would like this fixed, because it’s actually pretty awkward feeling for someone to post about what a wretched day they or their kid is having, and for my only immediate reaction to that to be :+1: up against everyone else’s :mending_heart:.

Technical details: I am using a completely up to date Firefox on a fully up to date installation of Windows 11. I do use uBlock Origin (set to allow unobtrusive ads through) and Privacy Badger, but the issue persists even when they are both disabled.

:no_smoking::thinking::joy::microphone::popcorn::hamburger::pensive::pensive::sunglasses::sun_with_face::melting_face::laughing::sweat_smile::smiling_face_with_tear:
Can you use them from your computer or phone as I just did?

I have legit never logged into the CC fora from my phone, always from my laptop.

But also, I’m not talking about emoji in posts—those have been fine for me since the full Unicode range were allowed::tada::fireworks::partying_face:

My problem is an inability to react to others’ posts with emoji.

2 Likes

I always use my phone and the emojis it has. That is my workaround :grin::crazy_face:

@dfbdfb is not talking about putting emojis IN his post. Talking about the emojis for reactions. This poster does not have that menu of choices.

@CC_Sorin @CC_Jon @CC_Mike

This isn’t the first time a poster has noted this. What’s up?

1 Like

This happened to me a month or so ago. Two days later, it was fixed. I might have rebooted the computer in that time or done an update to my browser, cleared history, etc. , but otherwise, it wasn’t something I did that fixed it. It just resolved on its own.
That might not be much help, but when it happened to me people also kept suggesting I just wasn’t hovering correctly, so I wanted you to be reassured that it is a real thing and not about your hovering skills!

1 Like

When I mouse over the thumbs up, I get this with both Chrome and Firefox:

I’m not sure how to debug the issue. Can you try in a different browser? Or an incognito/private tab/window?

Oh. And what theme do you have selected ain your preferences. Do you have the light theme? Oh, in Chrome, anyway, it’s working for both choices.

Oh, it totally works in other browsers, but considering that I keep my life sorted by browser and Firefox is my personal life, I would like to keep CC there.

I hadn’t tried a Firefox private window, but same issue there.

The issue has persisted over multiple reboots, cleared caches, et cetera. I have tried switching themes, to no avail.

I was able to react to posts with emoji for the window of time when there were multiple separate buttons, of course, but I have been unable do anything but ‘like’ to from the moment that the interface shifted to a single button for all reactions.

SAME HERE – and it is getting frustrating. I haven’t been able to add to anyone’s emojis. I don’t visit via phone (and prefer not to). Nothing happens when I hover over the thumbs up, so that is my only choice. I’ve restarting the computer many times - this has been a very long term issue here. Frustrating!!!

1 Like

I’m trying to reproduce. I don’t have a Windows machine, but I can dual-boot my MacBook. I’ve added both uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger to Firefox. I still can’t reproduce the problem.

One thing to try is to try Troubleshoot Mode. If the problem goes away, that means some extension is causing the problem. On the other hand, if you still have the problem, we’ll need to got some more information.

Are you also using Firefox on Windows 11? It might not be the same problem, of course, but if we can find some common factors, that would help.

1 Like

The issue persists for me in troubleshoot mode.

Unfortunate. :frowning: There is another option to reset Firefox, but that’s a bit of a hassle.

Edge on Win. 10.

It worked! For one brief shining moment, I hovered the mouse over the thumbs up sign, and other options appeared. Then lost it again. Literally, it worked only for an afternoon. Same computer. Same programs. SIGH!

Still not working for me! Must not have been online during the conjunction of the three moons, or whatever is actually needed for it to happen.

Hey! I can suddenly use emoji reactions!

I don’t know what got updated, but here’s hoping it sticks.:crossed_fingers:

Aaaaaaaand now they’re gone, and I’m back to only being able to like, with no popup for emoji reactions.

So it lasted for three glorious weeks, and then—and I must stress this—with absolutely nothing changing in my setup aside from ordinary operating system updates (Windows 11), CC’s behavior changed.

@CC_Jon, any idea what might have happened?

So when you mouse over the :+1: you don’t see

That’s very strange indeed. It’s working for me for Chrome and Firefox.

I think that there have been some theme updates (at least I’ve seen commits to github), but I don’t think anything has changed here. @CC_Stefan , do you think any of your updates might be related?

What browser are you using?

You can try another browser and see if it works. You can try opening the developer console on your browser (F12 should do it) and see if you see any errors.

No, it’s exactly the same phenomenon as I mentioned upthread, in the very first post on this thread. When it started working, I got the same as you, and now I suddenly don’t again.

This has persisted through restarting the browser, and through a couple reboots. See my earlier posts for more information, and I’ve tried the suggestions mentioned earlier in the thread that didn’t work then and continue to not work now.

It works for me on other browsers, but since I use different browsers for different purposes, I’d rather not browse the CC fora on my work browser, you know?

Does the issue persist on Firefox Private browser?