Still decidiing between UT and A&M

<p>Hey guys, I have gotten into UT Austin and Texas A&M College Station. I plan to study petroleum engineering and also minor is business administrations. I know it's past the deadline to accept, but I have already accepted to both colleges to give me some more time to think. I am from South Texas and live on a ranch, and everyone I know is a HUGE Aggie. My parents didn't go to the big state schools so I am very neutral and do not care about football at all. My personality is mixed; I love the country and the hard working mentality of ranchers but I also like the indie scene and I am very artsy since my dad is an artists. It's hard to decide where to go. I love Austin, it's very cultured and there is always something to do but all of my friends are going to A&M and I have family there already. UT has more museums and businesses set up. What I have heard is that A&M is one big family while at UT you're just a number, which makes sense since at Austin the students are put in a large city where at A&M the students are the only part of College Station, so much more notice goes to them Supposedly, aggies also get paid more in the future. I think UT has a better campus but A&M is where my roots are, since my family is big on agriculture. I feel that UT would be an adventure since I really only have 1 friend going there. My best friend (we've known each other since we were five) is going to A&M and also A&M gave me a large scholarship while UT gave me almost nothing. I know everyone says to go where you feel more comfortable and where you got more money but I feel that having an adventure and breaking the comfort zone builds character. I'm really torn where to go. Can anyone just clarify on any of my opinions and tell me your experiences, that would help alot. Thank You</p>

<p>Ok, “adventure and breaking the comfort zone builds character” sounds vague and isn’t guaranteed to happen at only UT. </p>

<p>I personally could do that anywhere and maybe build even more “character” with A&M’s money. You could use that money to go live in Africa for a while or something. Hang around with different people other than people you know… duh.</p>

<p>For my whole life, I’ve mostly gone with the less expensive/stressful option, avoided disappointments, and made the best of things.</p>

<p>I guess I’m actually excited about A&M’s social opportunities because I’ve researched so many clubs I like there and could easily drive to Austin/Houston to look for more opportunities.</p>

<p>Basically weigh between Specific Art Opportunities at UT vs Definite Scholarship $$.</p>

<p>From what I read there are numerous advantages by going to Texas A&M. If you think scholarship A&M. Close to family A&M. Friends A&M. Future Employment Salary A&M. Austin is bigger, you may feel as a stranger with so many people. College Station will be like a second home probably because of the warm people and Aggie culture. Decide what your mind and heart determine, Good Luck!</p>

<p>Go to A&M. You’d be more at home, it’s petroleum engineering department is as good as or better than the one at UT, and it’s cheaper.
A&M has a pretty good arts/music scene as well-from “First Friday” to numerous local bands putting on live performances on Northgate during the weekend.</p>

<p>are you a freshman or transfer? if transfer students, whats your gpa? been waiting for decision since 1/11/13 for A&M PetE transfer.</p>

<p>If you have been awarded scholarship money at TAMU and have accepted and then don’t attend, you probably keep some other deserving applicant from getting that scholarship money.</p>

<p>Agreed, cromette!</p>

<p>To SobeGreenTea972, I’m a incoming freshman going into Electrical/Computer Engineering because at the time I was applying I was not really considering my major but once I decided Petroleum it was too late to change.</p>

<p>Dguerra95, what part of south Texas are you from? I’m a transferring PEt engineering student and got spring review. Got a notice on 3/12/2013 that spring grades will be taken into consideration. If I were you go to A&M. I also applied to Texas Tech petroleum engineering and got in there. If A&M gives me the go ahead then that will be my first choice.</p>

<p>To Lexxiconn, I’m from RGV in ranch land (don’t want to give my city). I emailed someone and they said I would have to talk to the dean of Petroleum Engineering to transfer for the spring or something like that.</p>

<p>dguerra95, both places have their merits. As far as town/cities goes, someone who likes College Station may still be happy in Austin (find their niche) but not the other way around. I can’t see the type of person who thrives in Austin being really satisfied in College Station.
My kids had camps/visits at both colleges and they have different feels. TAMU is big on friendliness and traditions while UT has a much more eclectic population with people finding their own passion but that still rallies around football. Austin really isn’t a short ride from College Station. It would take planning.
TAMU seems to have an inferiority complex with UT whereas UT kind of just ignores TAMU. We live in Austin and while I can’t really say it offers the level of cultural excitement that a Dallas/Houston would it has it’s own quirky brand of events plus SXSW, ACL and others. We wouldn’t live anyplace else in Texas. Good luck.</p>

<p>lol…UT fans/students don’t “ignore” A&M. On orangebloods, shaggybevo and almost all the other UT sports message boards, They preferred OU beat A&M in the cotton bowl last year. Looks like, as much as they don’t want to admit it, we are their biggest rival.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There are people who would thrive in College Station who would not be satisfied in Austin too. For example, my son loves to shoot skeet and trap. He would love it at A&M because it has a skeet and trap team that participates in collegiate shooting competitions against universities such as Yale and has a great shooting facility. In contrast, UT has better bars/ music scene/ night life, but no shooting team or shooting facility. So, son will be attending A&M, Austin would not do.</p>

<p>@DGuerra - what scholarships did you receive from A&M? Also, A&M has a large support system in place for incoming freshmen and especially one with students from the RGV area. </p>

<p>Also you mention wanting to study PETE. If you stay on top of your grades then you will be fine transferring into PETE. The first semester as an ENGR student at TAMU can be rough. Come in with the mindset that you are ready to work and earn your grades, because that is what is needed from you. </p>

<p>What kind of math preparation did you have in high school and what was your SAT M score?</p>

<p>@AvantGardePrep, I got a 690 on my math and I got a 700 on my math 1 subject test but I think I could have gotten a higher score if I took precal my junior year. I took regular math, algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2 and I am taking pre cal. I might audit a class at utpa so I can learn some cal. I got the century scholarship.</p>

<p>The Century Scholarship is a very good award that will come with lots of support. A course specific for this scholarship that will help you adjust to college and monthly advising sessions with your scholarship advisor. It is valued at $20, 000 over 4 years and carries a 2.75 cumulative GPR requirement. Your math score is solid, better than the average in the ENGR college, which is a 660 (Std. Dev of 60).
However, your preparation for math in the classrooom is lacking. I would STRONGLY encourage you to audit that Calc course if you can. Also, I would suggest taking Math 150, which is the tune-up course in preparation for Math 151. Most students who come into ENGR already taken Honors or AP Calculus.</p>

<p>Many students who come into college, especially engineers fail to realize how much work actually goes into studying. Typically, I would recommend that the students spend at least 2-3 hours each day outside of class on their ENGR related courses. There will be times throughout the semester where much more will be asked of you. </p>

<p>My post isn’t meant to alarm you, just telling you the reality of it. If you consistently study for these courses and seek help out, then you will do just fine. However, it is easy to get left behind in ENGR and many never catch back up.</p>

<p>It seems like you would have more opportunities if you go to A&M, and if you don’t like it you could always transfer to UT. I am also a Century Scholar.</p>