Stony Brook Fall 2023 Admissions

I dont understand why it has taken this long to hear back applied 10/30 and it’s been almost 3 months with no response… the other 2 SUNY schools my son applied to during free week we have heard back from 2 Acceptances… is this normal for SBU ?

1 Like

Thanks, I hope we both hear soon!

I don’t know, but my son heard back from another SUNY mid-December.

My D23 was accepted back in December for Sciences and got her FA award (or lack of FA :grin:) today. She has heard back from all the SUNYs she applied to during the free week.

And still waiting here for CS at Stony Brook. Called last week and they said his application is “under review” - not sure if that means we will hear soon, or if that can drag on for a long time.

Has anyone gotten any acceptances/rejections/updates from SB in the past 2 weeks? My son is starting to lose hope as he heard more of his classmates are getting accepted and he still has not heard anything.

No, still waiting. Losing hope here too

My daughter just received her decision last week on Feb 8. College of Business. She had applied on 10/30 during the free application week.

1 Like

Nothing yet and we applied during free week as well …personally my son has pretty much crossed them off his list. We’ve heard from the two other SUNYs accepted months ago. why apply free week and have to wait 3 1/2 months

Congratulations!!
Here’s hoping the trend continues to all the ones on this forum who still have not heard back and we will get to find out within the month!

1 Like

Same here! We have heard back from Buffalo, ESF, and Oswego and this was all during free week. Why is SB taking so long??? :face_with_spiral_eyes: :sob:

But I would guess that if they really wanted to reject anyone, i would assume they would have already, right? :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like your thinking! Hopefully we will all have acceptances soon. However computer science fills up quickly, so it isn’t the best sign for my son.

My daughter applied during free week to the Business program. I see that her portal was updated with first and second term grades. Hoping that’s a good sign.🫰🏻

2 Likes

My D applied during the free application fee week as well, she has received the acceptance letter. Seems they started releasing results.

3 Likes

My son got CS AOI. What does it mean? Is it worth to accept it? So far he got 5 offers, hard to make decision.

1 Like

Congrats! My son is still waiting to hear, but already has many other great CS options. AOI is not a direct admit to CS. You have to take certain courses and reach their specified GPA requirements to later be allowed into the major.

Here is what they say about it on the SBU website:

Area of Interest and Other CEAS Students (excluding double major applicants)
Applications for major admission from AOI and other CEAS students are reviewed twice per year and must be received by January 5 for Spring admission and June 5 for Fall admission. Students who submit their application on time will be admitted if they meet the following requirements:

• Completed CSE 114, CSE 214, and CSE 215. (Honors students may substitute CSE 160, CSE 260, and CSE 150.) Transfer students matriculating at Stony Brook with credit for some (but not all) of these courses must complete the remaining course(s) before applying for major admission. Transfer students matriculating at Stony Brook with credit for all three courses must work with a CSE advisor to identify an appropriate course to complete before applying for major admission. Once a student matriculates at Stony Brook, these courses must be taken at Stony Brook University.
  • Earn grades of B- or higher and a grade point average of 3.20 or higher in the above courses (Transfer students who have completed equivalent courses at another school with grades of B- or higher need not retake these courses, but should keep in mind that grades do not transfer and grade point averages are calculated on the basis of courses completed at Stony Brook).
  • Repeated at most one of these courses.
  • Earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher.

The CS admission requirements from AOI is 3.2 average on the required classes.
While many students are able to satisfy this requirement, many can not and apply to other majors. One can argue the merits of weed out classes, but the decision to accept depends on where one thinks that student will rank after 2-3 semesters. If the student is not sure of their interest in CS another school that provides an environment for discovery might be more suitable.

1 Like

Update: After waiting over 4 months to hear from Stony Brook for Computer Science, my high stats, OOS son was not admitted to CS, not even AOI. While he was admitted to SBU, he would need a new major and there would be NO way to major in CS.
1550 SAT, 3.96 unweighted GPA, taking Multivariable Calc now, ECs in CS, programming project work, plus a serious and talented pianist.
He was admitted to more competitive and higher ranked CS programs already, but this is still very disappointing and just doesn’t make sense to me. What is up with Stony Brook CS?!

1 Like

I’m so sorry! I have definitely heard this exact scenario happen to a couple other kids this year. I think there’s a lot of “what’s up with SB/Bing” this admissions cycle…lol I hope he thrives where he ends up!

Wow I’m shocked with your son’s stats. Don’t really understand it. Same outcome for my in state daughter but stats were not quite as high.

1 Like