Stony Brook Fall 2023 Admissions

It happened to my son too, in-state, 3.99 unweighted GPA, 8 APs, and 6 more in the senior year, 35 ACT, and lots of ECs. He’s been the school’s top scorer in math competitions for 4 years straight. He’s also taking college courses at the local CC on a partial scholarship and will finish an associate degree in CS by the end of this summer. I’m really upset. My older son applied 3 years ago with similar stats, well, better ECs and worse GPA, and got accepted to CS Honors with a presidential scholarship two weeks after submitting the application. Go figure!

That is horrible! I am so sorry to hear what happened to your son. I wonder if their CS is full now, so no more space to admit? Do they actually go in order of application submission dates? Maybe just sometimes? Ugh.
My son made sure to get his in before the end of October.
All I can say is that it makes absolutely no sense that your son wasn’t admitted. It is very upsetting.

Thank you. I hope he thrives where he ends up too :).

I am sorry to hear that happened to your daughter too.

I was also wondering whether they already filled up the space. It’s great that your son was already admitted to better schools :+1: :+1:

Yes, but there are some personal reasons why Stony Brook was one of his top choices.
I think the administration at SBU is very disorganized and it hurts the students (and potential students).
I hope your son has some other good options - Stony Brook is really frustrating and inconsistent.

1 Like

LOL i got rejected (in state) but i lowkey only applied bc my parents and counselor made me and i applied to a random major (i let google pick a number 1-#of majors on naviance and picked.that one). 1470 sat 4.2 gpa :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

We are still waiting to hear from other schools. In the worst case, he will still go to SBU for another major and then try to transfer to CS. It’s still possible. The advantage of going to SBU is that almost all of his AP and college credits can be transferred and he can literally start as a sophomore (even junior) and go straight to the advanced courses. He already took all the prerequisite equivalent courses (114, 214 and 215) at a different school, which are recognized by SBU.

1 Like

That makes so much sense and is worth a lot, on many levels! I know some CCs and other schools have articulation agreements and it can allow you to transfer into SBU or other in-state schools. At least I heard that Suffolk CC has this agreement for CS at Stony Brook (we are OOS but I used to live in NY)
I wish your son the best of luck - he has accomplished so much already and sounds amazing :blush:. There is such randomness to CS admissions these days and it must be so hard for our kids to go thru type of application and results process.

1 Like

has anyone heard back on Honors Programs? The portal says they come around mid march

1 Like

My son got the same letter. His SATs were lower than your son’s but otherwise comparable Stats. He’s been interning in CS at NASA for two years amongst many other science and comp sci related ECs along with dual enrollment courses at local universities. We are in-state btw.

I was wondering the same. Nothing here yet.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

It seems like many very talented and extremely well qualified CS applicants were not admitted recently. I am sorry that happened to yours too. I didn’t realize how random this can be sometimes. I hope he gets into some schools that are even better for him, but this has to be difficult for kids who have worked so hard for years. This process is stressful and draining.

It really is draining. I feel bad for these kids. But he does have some good options lined up so that takes the sting off a bit. Hope the same for your son!

4 Likes

My son just got his rejection email from SB from the marine bio program. His cumulative GPA isn’t as high as some of the kids I saw on this chain but he has been killing it during 11th and 12th grade and he enrolled in SB’s oceanography program last summer, has excellent letters of recommendations from teachers, peers, and a SB alum. When we tried to appeal, they sent a rejection email 3 hours after we sent the appeal email. Even his SB professor during the summer program was very surprised he was rejected and tried to ask Admissions to reconsider. Still a no…
SB was my son’s top choice and his only rejection. He got accepted to 2 private universities in FL and 1 in Hawaii and 4 other SUNYs. It sucks so much for us. He was utterly heartbroken

ChloeBea -
That makes no sense at all to me. He should have been one of the first ones accepted into the marine bio since he has a strong rec from his SB professor - who even asked admissions to reconsider! Wow.
He must be stunned, and of course he is heartbroken.
I am so sorry.

2 Likes

Msiddiqi -
Yes, my son has some good options too.

1 Like

Honors programs - anyone got results yet?

Not yet.