Stony Brook Nursing Concerns

<p>So I've recently been accepted to SBU as a health science major. 3 months ago I would have been the happiest girl and would have chosen SBU ASAP. But the problem is SBU's nursing program sounds so uncertain. The whole concept of working my butt off and competing for a spot that I might not get seems risky. I'm just stressed on whether SBU is worth the risk or should I chose another school that's more practical with direct entry , over my dream school. Any advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Similar situation here. I understand your concerns.
My D got accepted into a 2+2 program & there are definitely some pros & cons.<br>
It would be nice to start at a program w/ direct entry. It takes some of the stress / headache. </p>

<p>Can you briefly tell us what you think of your 2nd / & other choices ( direct entry) ?
What is the main thing that concern you about those other choices? locations / price / the programs?</p>

<p>my 2nd choice is between Binghamton and Pace. other schools I’ve applied to are Boston College, Northeastern, UDel, UMass-Amherst, Le Moybe, Plattsburgh, Buffalo, Drexel, the others arent my top as of now so I just leave them be. The main concern about these choices is the distance, maybe I’ll get used to it but honestly being more than some 1hr 1/2 away makes me nervous; price is another thing because I have no money for college so I’m depending on good aide, at-least with SBU it’s a SUNY so it’s one of the more affordable options… Also the big thing is before I knew of direct entry, I had my eyes set on SBU, the other schools it’s not about their program; I made the big mistake of falling for a school beofre I even sent my application out. So I already fell hard for the school overall before I found out the type of nursing program it was. </p>

<p>Before I would agree to attend any 2-2 program, I would ask the U. for statistical information about how hard it is to make it into a 2-2 program. How many applied, how many were accepted, and what was their GPA average? </p>

<p>In the whole scheme of things, I would imagine Binghampton and Stony Brook are comparable universities. </p>

<p>Stony Brook probably has a wider choice of nearby clinical opportunities. However, the extra distances you need to drive to clinicals in Binghampton may be offset by the time you spend in heavy congestion on Long Island. </p>

<p>I’d be willing to drive a couple extra hours a few times a year to get to and from college, in order to have the assurance of being in a RN program. It will also make your first two years of college less stressful, if you don’t have to stress out about being accepted into the program or looking to transfer to another college… </p>

<p>Binghamton is also a SUNY so it should be as affordable, right? Is it direct entry? If so, you may want to go there. I’ve heard it’s one of the toughest schools to get into if you’re a nursing major.</p>

<p>Also, could you start at a 2 + 2 school, and if you’re truly miserable, apply to do your second 2 years at Stony Brook? </p>