Storage facility recommendations

<p>I realize it’s quite early, but can someone recommend a safe, reliable storage facililty in the area? We’re thinking of putting son’s things in storage over the summer. Some facilities give a discount if you reserve or place a deposit early.</p>

<p>Thank you for asking this! We were talking about storage this past weekend. </p>

<p>Also for those of you who’ve stored dorm stuff in the past, what size unit should we expect to need?</p>

<p>We have used All American Self Storage on 35th St. They offer student discouonts and/or free lock with an early reservation. The facility is very clean and the office staff are always very nice. The only draw back is the gate access is restricted to 8 AM to 9:00 PM. </p>

<p>Both years we have wanted to get in during closed hours. We may be looking for a new facility too.</p>

<p>i would think that the smallest size will be plenty. we fit all of katie’s stuff in her car on the way there, and a lot of that was clothes, so i imagine she will be bringing those home! i would think even the smallest storage locker would have more room than a car.</p>

<p>or i think i remember people sharing a space with roomies or friends.</p>

<p>[storage</a> in Tuscaloosa, AL - Bing Local](<a href=“tuscaloosa storage - Search”>tuscaloosa storage - Search)</p>

<p>Son doesn’t really have a lot of things but he does have a bike which he would prefer to leave in T-town and in addition, H is not crazy about driving the distance.</p>

<p>Was thinking about the same thing. We’d be willing to go in on one if anyone wants to share!</p>

<p>We used All American @1731 Commons Rd which is off Rice Mine.</p>

<p>It was very clean and safe and climate controlled. I spent half a day looking at storage units in Tuscaloosa last spring!</p>

<p>D left all her winter clothes, bedding, kitchen items, book shelves, iorning board,& room decorations. ( She had big things like bulletin boards, photo frames, full length mirror and TV and printer!)</p>

<p>It all fit in the smallest unit as well as a few things from her friends.</p>

<p>When Ds apartment was not available to move into Aug 1st. The storage unit let us go to a larger unit for a very small fee for 5 days. So D would move a section at night when she had time after sorority recruitment.</p>

<p>I tried to tell her to pack like she was going on vacation to come home. She would only be home a few months, it would be hot, she did not need to dress for work…she still brought home more things than she needed. </p>

<p>The week after she got home we went though all the tubs and repacked them. Put them back in the van on Aug. 1st!</p>

<p>Here is what I found from my call to All American self-storage:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The smallest unit is 5x5, with a regular price of $70.</p></li>
<li><p>The next size up, which will accomodate a bike, is a 5x10 unit, for $85.</p></li>
<li><p>The prices are for climate-controlled units. There is a 15% discount for students, or better yet, if you reserve before April 15, there is a 20% discount. The discounts are not stackable.</p></li>
<li><p>There is a $15 deposit and you have to provide your own lock.</p></li>
<li><p>Sharing a unit is allowed, but only one name will be on the contract. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Many thanks to momof3boyz and omama for their feedback. Thank you also to Montegut for the PM.</p>

<p>ok - really dumb question, but is that like 5x5x5 or 5x5 and 8’ tall?</p>

<p>The units are tall…I would think you could hang a bike vertically and still have lots of space!</p>

<p>That’s exactly what H commented.</p>

<p>are those prices of $70 and $85 per month? Can we rent for just 3 months? Or do you have to rent starting on the 1st, which would then mean we’d need to rent for four months from May 1 - August 31? I’d be interested in Kari sharing the $85 size with 2 other people.</p>