Storage for summer

<p>has anyone started to get storage for summer. I was thinking it might be cheapest to share a space with someone. My son has very little he is leaving but he does have a bike. Anyone with interest in going in on storage let me know. I have the names of three differnt places that look like they might work. I am going to get rates ASAP.</p>

<p>I’m going down this weekend so will be checking a place from a post on here. Not much stuff so will probably go ahead and book it or however it works, and will look on here afterwards for anyone who wants to share and work it out then.</p>

<p>well let me know I am definately interested</p>

<p>Does your son find the bike useful? When we toured campus it seemed so spread out I remember thinking a bike might be a good idea. How much does he use it, and do most buildings have a place to park it?</p>

<p>nicollec, I can say that my D rode her bike pretty much daily last semester. She did not have a car on campus then, and other than needing to catch rides to Target or elsewhere off campus she didn’t miss it. She has an off campus internship this semester so a car became a necessity, but she still rides her bike to the rec center and around campus more than she drives.
From what D says bike racks are abundant - just be sure to invest in a really good lock.</p>

<p>Bassett
Kari will share a storage unit with your son. . . please contact me. </p>

<p>Do you know rates? (Kari doesn’t have that much so I think we only need a small which I belive is 5ft xf ft)- and I assume we would need 3 month rental (from May 6 - August 6 or so). D doesn’t have a bike, she will just have boxes (linen etc), etc that we don’t want to fly back home. </p>

<p>Maybe we can also share with a third or fourth person . . with everyone stacking boxes all the way up to the ceiling?</p>

<p>mom of four I think AL34 also wants to share he is going to look at all american this weekend and let me know what happens. I called it is 30 per month for a 5 by 10 and 20 for a 5 by 5…That is with a discount for students…Hunter can take the wheels off his bike to make it smaller. If we split the 10 by 10 with four people it would be pretty cheap. I am not sure when Hunter will be coming back in AUgust it might be a little early cause he is getting an apartment with a friend…But he could get his stuff out and leave the rest for everyone else we could have him stack his closest to the door or something…When AL34 gets back to me I will fill you in ok?</p>

<p>Bassett
your son is getting an apt instead of second year honors housing?</p>

<p>yep. It is basically on campus, right behind the tutweiller dorm and it is only $500 a month for a two bedroom. Paying $250 a month sounds good to me, his roommate is a friend he meet there and his parents live close enough to handle most of the moving. It just happened to work out at the last minute. his friend is an honors student but he didnt have honors housing so he needed to find a place. It sounds like a good move. no need for a car and he can cook!</p>

<p>This reminds me that I need to consider summer storage. While I can and have sent almost everything home for the summer, it’s quite a bit of money in postage.</p>

<p>bassett, do you happen to know the name of the apartment complex? lil bro is gonna get an apartment but not sure if he’ll be taking his car down or not. So a place within walking distance to campus is something to look at.</p>

<p>When you look at storage, make sure you go with a unit that is climate-controlled. Alabama has hot and humid months. You would hate to return in August to find that your clothing and linens are covered in mold. My son went with a climate-controlled unit last spring (he keeps it year-round), and he has never had a problem.</p>

<p>Second momreads’ rec. You definitely want to go climate controlled in the south. And you also might want to consider a second floor unit. It does rain a lot in Ttown. There are usually transport carts at the facilities, anyway, and elevators, so don’t let second floor inhibit you if that’s all that’s available.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reminder on this, guys. I think I have a phone reservation, no money down, for a unit a bit aways from campus, just for son, but I need to check out the size to make sure it’s room enough.</p>

<p>Thanks, being from CA never would have thought of climate control.</p>

<p>When looking at size of a storage unit, you may want to keep this in mind. My son shared a 5 by 10 unit with two others … and they still had enough room for lots more.</p>

<p>Ok, here’s everything I learned today -</p>

<p>First. all three All-American Storages have the same pricing, specials etc.</p>

<p>It’s too early to reserve a unit, they said to call a month or so out and reserve then.</p>

<p>There may be better specials when we call a month out, possibly a free lock etc.</p>

<p>You can reserve over the phone and do contract/pay at check in.</p>

<p>All students get a 10% discount as of right now, however, if you look at the website they are already advertising 15% off and a free lock.
Also on the website right now 1 month free w/3 month contract.</p>

<p>Looked at both the 5x10 and 5x5 units - the 5x10 is HUGE and will easily hold stuff for four people, bikes or not.
The 5x5 is pretty big itself, easily hold stuff for two incl. bikes.</p>

<p>The units are listed as regular or climate controlled, the ones at Rice Mine Road are all indoor corridor and he said 90% of students do the regular units. They are within air conditioned/humidity controlled buildings but can’t actually claim climate controlled because some people may leave doors open while loading/unloading.</p>

<p>Pricing for the climate controlled units is $70/mo. for 5x5 and $85/mo. for 5x10. That’s the starting price not including student discount, first free month or whatever special they are running when we call a month out. Regular units are less expensive.</p>

<p>They have plenty of 5x5 and 5x10 available and have never run out of space if you reserve a month in advance.</p>

<p>BIG benefit or the one at Rice Mine Road is that it is accessible 24 hours, the others are not. Most students have been using the location at 35th street due to proximity to south campus, but more are moving to Rice Mine with the 24 hour access. I logged it as about 5 miles from the honors dorms.</p>

<p>The only thing was his suggesting that most get the regular units. I am a bit puzzled by this. For those who have quoted $30/mo. those must be the regular units. Will call him tomorrow to verify this. (204) 349-0050</p>

<p>Yes the 30 dollar a month is for the non-climate controlled. I didnt think we needed the climate controlled so I didnt ask for that one. I think closer to school might be better since we will have to rely on the kindness of others to get the stuff moved to a storage facility. I hate to inconvenience anyone.</p>

<p>^ he did seem to think that climate control wasn’t really necessary with the indoor corridors and general AC in the halls, though I wouldn’t trust a plasma TV to it. Not sure how much of an issue it is if it’s just clothes, linens, books etc. Looking for input from anyone who has tried it either way.</p>

<p>I can’t wait til DS has his car next year, as it is now I will have to either fly down or drive down to help him move his stuff to the unit.</p>

<p>al34 - i bet he would bet it done by himself if you didn’t go. they are perfectly capable of doing a lot of things for themselves and really don’t need our help as much as we think they might.</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>Thankfully he doesn’t have to this time. With finals until 6pm Friday and having to be out by 10am Sat., finding rides back and forth to the storage unit and the airport is no small thing… most of his friends will be out by then. I’m happy to help :)</p>