Strong GPA [41/45 IB], but a weaker SAT [1440], chance a full pay India for top us colleges

Demographics: International student

State/Location of residency: India

Type of high school: Semi-Feeder (5/80 Ivy Admits a Year)

Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Indian

Other special factors : N/A

Intended Major(s)Finance/Econ

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

10th Grade IGCSE (7A* 1A)

11th Grade Mid IB: (36/42)

11th Grade Finals IB (37/42)

12th Grade Mid IB (40-41/45)

Predicted: 41/45 (Should go up to 43 for RD)

ACT/SAT Scores: 1440 (Should go up to mid 1500s for RD)

Coursework

HL: Economics, Business Management, Computer Science, Hindi B

SL: Math AA (6), English

Awards-

Distinction in the ICE Certification

• 1st Place in Screening for a prestigious Business Quiz Competition

• 2nd Place in the DSIJ Investing Competition

• 44th Globally in a well known Olympiad (CS)

• Award for the best research and communication by the NYIF

Extracurriculars

• Impactful social service organisation focusing on farmers in India. Recognised in conferences with quantifiable impact. 150+ farmers helped.

• Paired the Farmer service by training a ai up to date to create a chatbot that can dispense financial advice to anyone using it. Quantifiable Impact

• Internship at a Wealth Management Firm in Kolkata. (worked on structured products)

• Another internship in bombay with a investment firm where i worked on mutual funds and etf analysis in india

Headboy of a stock-related club, made massive upgrades to the club reputation, transformed from a 5-10 member club to a 65 member club, gave multiple speeches and held many financial literacy sessions for teachers at the school.

Managed a personal portfolio from $1000 to $ 4500 over the course of 4 years using value investing and covered calls.

others are okayishEssays/LORs/Other:

Essays: 9/10: I am pretty good at essays, I think that they have come out as an really heartfelt and creative. I have linked them with a few of my ECs, and they form a very cohesive narrative IMO.

LORs: 10/10 Extremely Good LORs, given that I have had a relationship with the writers for 6+ YearsBudget: Full-Pay

Current List (Delulu):

New York University[ED]

University of Pennsylvania [RD]

UNC Chapel Hill [EA]

Cornell University[RD]

University of Michigan[RD]

Harvard University [RD]

Columbia University [RD]

University of Notre Dame [RD]

Duke University [RD]

University of Southern California [RD]

University of Virginia [RD]

Yale University [RD]

University of Texas at Austin [RD]

Brown University[RD]

Princeton University[RD]

Dartmouth College[RD]

Northwestern University[RD]

Stanford University[RD]

University of California Berkeley

University of California Los Angeles

Georgetown University [RD]

No safeties because if I don’t get in, I’ll just apply in India (NMIMS, Ashoka, OP Jindal). Applying for Finance/Econ for all.

Closing temporarily for review

1. The guidance at your feeder school will be the best source of advice.

2. As a general rule, gaining admission with a full ride particularly as an international student from an over represented country will be a reach. Apply and give it your all. It is wise to have safeties in your home country.

3. Research which schools will consider aid to international students. Cut schools off your list that have no chance of being affordable (UCLA and UCB for example).

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the advice, I am going to the counsellor, but the school is honestly swmped rn. Also, I am full pay, so I will not be asking for FA.

1 Like

I’m sure it comes as no surprise that all the schools you’ve listed are high reaches.

1 Like

Your list of colleges in the United States is very reach heavy…and especially so for an international student from India.

As long as you are happy with attending college in your home country, choose some and go for it.

Remember, it costs to apply, costs to send SAT or ACT scores, costs to send the CSS Profile. So…I would try to hone that list down a bit. Many of these will also require supplemental essays and all of that takes time. So…choose some…but I would not suggest all of these schools you have listed.

Sorry…misread. Ignore #3. I’d stil say the schools on your list are all reaches. But that is OK if you are satisfied with the options in India.

Yes, I am aware that they are reaches, but I honestly would not go to the USA for a college that is not extremely good for my major. As a result, I have taken a reach heavy list. If I don’t get into any of these schools, I’ll simply apply to India, as our application cycle is a bit later in the year.

I understand that it costs, and I have budgeted roughly $2000 for the application process itself. aside from that, I am also done with the 3-4th iteration for my essays. So I think shotgunning is the most efficient way to maximise acceptance rates, given that my supplement quality remains high.

2 Likes

That is a reasonable choice.

In terms of 'shotgunning" US schools keep in mind that many top colleges have supplemental essays. These are important so be sure each one is your best and most thoughtful work. If you need to cut down the application list to achieve this, then do it.

2 Likes

Alright, thank you very much. Also, just as an additional question, how badly do you think having Math AA SL affects my chances for finance and econ. I have a 6 for stern ed and u chicago edII. But I will be applying with a 7 to RDs.

Shotgunning does not increase your chances of admission.

4 Likes

@MYOS1634 could you please explain what all of this means in terms of U.S. grades?

If the quality of my application remains consistent, would it not result in a greater spread of colleges for me? I have heard about the fact that shotgunning does not increase chances of admissions, but it was always confusing for me. Given that colleges practice holistic admissions, and I have a relatively competitive profile, should shotgunning not be beneficial for me?

1 Like

The colleges you have listed have very low acceptance rates and even lower for international students. Frankly, your SAT score needs to bump up. Do you plan to take it again?

That you are full pay might help your application at need aware schools.

If you don’t get accepted, you will never know why.

As long as you are happy with your home country college, do whatever you want. I will say, you might be a more competitive applicant at any number of U.S. colleges…but then, it looks like you chose your colleges based on the USNews rankings/prestige. Who helped you craft this list?

Are you one of the top 5 students in your class?

1 Like

Adding…where do you intend to work after you get your bachelors degree?

Yes, I am retaking the SAT, and I will have it in time for my RDs. I have picked some schools by location fit, preferring NY and California, given that I have family and people I know there.

Other schools, I have picked through a combination of fit, prestige and strength in terms of finance/business. If I do not get in anywhere, I honestly won’t be too worried, as I have a good amount of colleges in India to apply to as well.