Strong schools the support diversity AND have AA students who support one another?

<p>I have heard the Univ. or Rochester, Oberlin and Wake Forest have programs/centers that are very strong support systems for AA (and other minority and ethnic) students and that the students themselves support one another WITHOUT 'expecting' AA students to only hang around with one another.</p>

<p>Curious as to whether there are other schools that come on this list and if others have heard the same (or differently) about the aforementioned schools.</p>

<p>Looking for diversity, a welcome environment, and supportive culture...within a relatively strong school.</p>

<p>Thoughts?
T</p>

<p>Define supportive please? What does that look like?</p>

<p>Good question. I will say that at one of our teens current school, the admin has programs for under-represented minorities (URMs), both social and academic in nature. They are not only for URMs, but geared toward issues they tend to face. They are well attended. The students also are friendly to one another without isolating those who tend to have a much more blended set of friendships.
The student body as a whole tends to attend talks and activities sponsored by URM groups.
Hoping college ‘support’ will look at bit like this. We have heard that it does in the schools mentioned in my initial post.</p>

<p>taben1112: How did you determine that Rochester, Oberlin, and Wake Forest were supportive of AA students? Did you get your info from students at these schools <or> something else?</or></p>

<p>Wake Forest from students directly. Though some said that less affluent AA sometimes do not feel as comfortable on the campus as a whole.
Oberlin by long standing reputation
Rochester via dd’s counselor. However, a source at the school said that international Africans are far more supported than AAs.</p>

<p>Curious as to whether the above is true and still hoping that folks will have thoughts on other schools, espcial HYP.
T</p>

<p>From my time here on CC and research over the past few years, I think schools that offer diversity fly in events is one way to gauge if a school is making a concerted effort to increase diversity on their campuses. Not sure which grade you are currently in, but this might be a great time to start emailing the colleges that you are interested in and start asking these questions. I am sure they would be happy to put you in touch with students who can give you honest, meaningful answers…</p>

<p>I have a friend whose daughter goes to a highly competitive/test-in high school in NYC(3% AA students)… she knows for a fact that Cornell is always in search of AA students via outreach to the GCs at the school. Oddly enough, the powers that be don’t disseminate this info to the AA students because they feel that Cornell is excluding the masses… but the gc’s must understand that places like Cornell(as well as HYP) are woefully under represented in this area. </p>

<p>Also, check out each schools BSA page! The AF/AM house at Yale is very active… I think they have a very busy FB page as well.</p>

<p>Maybe I’m too battle scarred to give an opinion. I feel like its more important for us to learn to deal and manage and navigate our way thru institutions without any support.</p>

<p>Hostility is wrong but a lack of support and people who resist our best efforts to advance is an everyday thing in the real world.</p>

<p>Like high flying without a net, you got to have a sharper edge, more courage and confidence and better preparation.</p>

<p>Madaboutx…interesting point. We visited agreat university in the NE and a articulate young man, AA and current student, advised my high school aged kids to not look for ‘diversity’ when choosing a school (as one of our kids told him that the ‘feel’ and look of the school was not at all diverse and as such likely not to be on her list). His opinion was that, once out in the work force, they would likely NOT be in a diverse working environment. As such, better to start navigating the waters and making connections and figuring things out while in college.</p>

<p>Food for thought for sure. However, I have to say that I went through a college and professional school that both offered some level of support (even if just amongst the students) for URMs. My spouse did not. I came out as well prepared as he did, if not more so, and much less angry about injustices of the world (aware of them and ready to work for change, but not angry…proactive). I suppose from that stems my belief that support is better than the lack thereof. But, Madaboutx, I think my husband would agree with you as he sees, day in and day out, battles that still take place and how important a thick skin is…essential in his view.</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>This is a problem for me too. Any recommendations for NC?</p>

<p>Brown has a lot of diversity and also has support for any student of color, including AA. they have something called “minority peer counseling” available as well.</p>

<p>Support is wonderful if its honest and horrible if its coddling.</p>

<p>Honest is being told that if you wear ethnic clothing, ethnic hair and don’t enunciate your words and speak properly that you are not likely to get promoted to bank manager.</p>

<p>Coddling is saying they accept as you are which is where you will remain.</p>

<p>Some would say the latter is supportive and the former is racist.</p>

<p>The act of slowing your progress through the ranks may be due to a subtle or not so subtle discrimination but the advice is honest and can be helpful. Unfortunately, no white person will give that advice out no matter how true it may be. </p>

<p>To me, a supportive environment is one that other blacks have worked and lived in and succeeded. The more, the better.</p>

<p>Where is brown?</p>

<p>^Brown is an Ivy league college in rhode Island.</p>

<p>My son is a Freshman at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). We applied to an visited 10 schools and there were 3 that seemed to intentionally attract him because he is AA. </p>

<p>RIT has a 6 week precollege program,MCAS (Multicultural Center for Academic Success) that is designed to prepare the student to increase AA retention. They take 2 4 credit courses, learn to balance academics with community service, attended a networking event at the President of the University’s home ( the president was there to interact with the students). They learn the importance of meeting with professors, TAs and advisors and are held accountable to an advisor to maintain a schedule. The president came from the airport returning from vacation to congratulate the students at the final ceremony. The completion of this program provides the students the opportunity to apply to the RIT Scholars program, where they continue to get advice on navigating their college career, diversifing with academic and recreational activities and they are exposed to more networking & semi-formal events. This program has transformed my son into a a different student who now makes choices to be the best that he can be with his eye on specific goals. My sons MCAS advisor takes interest in him like a son.</p>

<p>My son attended Carnegie Mellon’s SAMs (Summer Academy for Math and Science) program whe he was a rising senior (they offer this for rising juniors who can return as ring seniors also). this is another 6 week program that includes 2 for credit courses.This program is intended to attract all minorities interested in STEM careers. I believe that the experience was a wake up call for him to realize step change from high school to college:academically, socially and from an independance perspective. The experience of being around serious competitive students (he thought he was in a competitive school until he got here) motivated him make some changes when he returned to high school (his counselor noticed). He challenged himself with more rigorus classes, created a study schedule etc. The program included Kaplan SAT class which increased his score by 250 points. He also had left with 2 papers that were used for college app essays. The program concluded with them dressing up and giving presentations based on their course work to the corporate sponsors of the program. My son made friends who he maintains contact with and those that chose to attend seem to enjoy it . My son did not connect on a personal level with the SAMs advisors, so one of the reasons he did not attend is because of the stress level in this verycompetitive university and we were not confident that he would have the support system he needed. My son is not the most outgoing person so I would highly recommend the summer program even if it is not your college of choice, to see if it is a fit for you. </p>

<p>Don’t know how much support is available at University of Pittsburg, but we got a lot of unsolicited requests to visit this school. I’m thinking they have some inside track on the names of SAMs students (they are across the street from Carnegie Mellon). After he completed the Sams program, U Pitt offered to pay for him to come spend the weekend at their school. We did apply (free app), never visited but they offered to pay for the first years books if he accepted. I get the feeling that they are attempting to increase their AA population but I don’t know if they have the infrastructure to support the student afterwards.</p>

<p>This sounds great but way too out of reach. I have to stay in nc…any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Why are you locked into NC?</p>

<p>The best information is always personal experience. If you can visit your top choices and make a visit to their diversity office ask if they have pre-college programs and what do they offer. go to where students are hanging out ask some(as many as poosible) AA students about the suport that is available and their experiences. if you can’t visit call the college and ask questions they should take time to speak to you. Check Facebook -colleges that have active support have FB pages they may not offer much info but you can get contacts to ask questions. join accepted student FB pages. Be creative think of how you acn find ways to converse with students/staff who are in diversity programs and get as much info as possible.</p>

<p>Ok I will look into this…</p>