Structure vs freedom and keeping kids on track at Brown

I graduated quite awhile ago (1993), but I felt like the open curriculum encouraged me to take more risks and step outside my comfort zone. I’m a humanities person, but I took courses in STEM disciplines purely out of interest. I had room in my schedule to double-concentrate and still graduate on time. And all concentrations have requirements (often beyond the department), even if there’s no core curriculum, so students still have to take courses in a range of disciplines. It all works out.

Also – when I was in college, it seemed as if Brown’s curriculum was unusual. But these days, quite a few colleges offer an open (or nearly open) curriculum. If the idea has caught on, it must be working.

Amherst and Evergreen State?

Or would you include the semi-open ones where there is a limit on the number or percentage of courses in one department, or one general area (humanities, social science, science)? (e.g. Grinnell, Hamilton)

I guess I would say there is a spectrum from a very circumscribed core curriculum to a non-existent one (though even Brown has a couple of required writing courses). I would say that the scales have shifted toward open, or variations on that theme, at least among elite SLACS and liberal arts universities.

This site lists some highly selective colleges with notably flexible curricula:

Brown appears first, perhaps partly because of its early foray into this educational philosophy.

1 Like