Stuck between two potential topics (UGA Supplemental)

I’m thinking about writing about my experience learning to ride unicycles, which I feel has a lot of potential for humor. My other topic would be about my one-year anniversary with my girlfriend and how even though absolutely nothing went right that day, we still managed to have a blast.

I’ve heard a lot of advice online saying not to write about relationships, but if I focus more on how we managed to make a good day out of a bad one, should I still avoid this topic?

Prompt:
The college admissions process can create anxiety. In an attempt to make it less stressful, please tell us an interesting or amusing story about yourself from your high school years that you have not already shared in your application.

Offhand I think the unicycle story would be a more original topic. But why don’t you write an outline/draft for both and see how they turn out?

1 Like

I would say the unicycle for sure, for two reasons. First of all it’s unique and a window into yourself, which is a great thing to do with every essay. The admissions officers really are trying to figure out who you are as a person. The unicycle essay is about you not about you and your girlfriend which I think is a positive. Second of all, I’ve had two kids who have written this essay and I think above all it needs to be fun to read. I kind of looked at it as a break in all of the tedium that comes with reviewing college applications. I think the unicycle satisfies that as well, particularly if you do it with humor and self depreciation. You may be referred to as “the unicycle kid“ in reviews which makes you memorable! Good luck!

Depends on how they are written. Humor is great in a college essay. Try them both, then choose. I would be happy to look at them once done.