Stuck with nursing... Easy CA schools to get into?

Hi, I think I’m stuck with nursing, since I spent 3 years doing pre-requisites for it. I have about a 3.8 and currently at a CSU. I’ve thought of possible alternatives, but none work without years and years upon the 3 I’ve already done, sketchy employment prospects, and mountains of debt.

Anybody else feel like they’re “stuck” in the nursing major bc 1) it’s very specialized, and 2) it’s hard to do any other career based off the pre-reqs, ect, done and some medical fields (like MD) are clearly out of reach…

I did get accepted to a program once, O-O-S, but things happened which made me come back to CA and wrecked a little. Nothing happened to my GPA, however… but a year of absence later…

What are some easy CA programs to get into? I tried CSU Chico… was rejected 2 years ago at #77 on waitlist or so. I know the Butte college program here is the easiest, if I wait 3 years. I should have applied 2 years ago, but then I thought I would go straight to bachelors route instead and got into that other program. I might end up waiting 3 years for that lottery, or get into a master’s entry program after getting a BA (which will take 2-3 years) from csu chico. I’m in a hard spot where there are no other options, and I also cannot afford private programs (working on grants only - lost a scholarship, also) and bachelors programs are too hard to get into with only a TEAS score of 83%.

I have completed these pre-reqs:
Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Gen Chem I, and Human Genetics (no lab)
Statistics and Trig (pass/fail)
Sociology, Psychology, Cultural Anthropology, Child Development, Basic Nutrition, 2nd psych class, Spanish I, American Lit, 2 English classes, one which is Critical Thinking (no across the lifespan devlop - not offered at BC or CSUC)

What do you suggest I do?? Go for BA while waiting for AA, and possible master’s entry? Any help is appreciated! Either way, it appears years down the road bc I didn’t apply earlier :confused:

Are you willing to consider programs in other states? It appears that California has some of the most competitive programs for admission. There are programs that are not difficult for admission in Pennsylvania, for example. If you can find a program with convenient and affordable flights from California, it may not be too much of a change for you.

I got into a program O-O-S… but it wasn’t very good, too culturally different (a central southern state) and most of all, too far away from family, and family couldn’t move there (didn’t want to). Also some other things happened too which made me come back to Cali… Also, w/o scholarships, it would be prohibitively expensive. I can live with family here to reduce living costs and only pay tuition.

I like PA, but then that requires loans to pay for living costs including tuition… if it’s in CA, my fam will prob move with me, but that’s too far.

I probably will need to wait 3 years for the local community college lottery or go into a master’s entry program after it takes 2-3 years (upon the 3) to get a BA. They’re easier to get into, and also I can use the bus to the comm college bc it is so close.

I can try applying to CSU’s other than Chico, but it’s unlikely that I’ll get in. They usually want TEAS above 90%. The other college I got into O-O-S used HESI, which is a slightly easier test. They also count 20 hr work weeks, spanish proficiency (only took Span 1), and other factors in their point systems… That’s for entry-level BSNs as undergrads, not master’s entry or AA. The RN to BSN programs might be easier to get into and cheaper, but I’m not sure. I should have applied earlier to the CC’s, but thought I would go straight to BSN to that one O-O-S which didn’t work out.

I read Fresno State is easier to get into? But I have to apply for transfer to the CSU’s first before I can apply to their RN programs. I cannot afford private college programs, only publics.

Your situation is not that different from many others desiring to obtain a BSN within the Cal State system. I have heard that the average time spent in the CSU system [nondirect admit] to obtain a BSN is 7 years. Your frustrations are heard. Here is a link to the recent California NCLEX results:

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/passrates.shtml

If you analyze these results, you see the number of students tested and the pass rates for each school. For the central to northern part of the state, the nursing programs testing the largest amount of candidates in 2014 are:

Sacramento State {BSN] - 153 candidates tested
CSU - East Bay [BSN] - 111
San Francisco State [{BSN] - 122
CSU Fresno [BSN] - 156
Fresno City {AA] - 354

You may have a better chance of transferring into a larger program to obtain a BSN or AA than waiting for Chico that tested 71 in 2014. Perhaps, you could find a room to rent to go to school during the week and then you could return home to Chico for the weekends since commutes to these school would be about 1.5 hours each way to Sacramento and longer to the Bay area or Fresno. There is nothing wrong with first obtaining an associates degree and later doing a RN to BSN and MSN down the road. That plan would put you into the RN work force sooner so that you can start paying down debt. The MSN would take longer to complete and thus you will be out of the RN workforce and you may accumulate more debt than going the AA or BSN route.
Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I know Sac State is too difficult to get into based on avg GPA and TEAS scores alone… what are the average GPA’s and scores for the other BSN programs? (both cumulative GPA and pre-req GPA)

I might also apply to Sacramento-area AA programs along with the Butte College one. I’m hoping to go into an advanced practice specialty which requires an MSN.

7 years! That may justify considering an out of state college where you have a much better chance of graduating on time. The lost wages and the added college costs of those extra years may justify paying a higher tuition to go elsewhere.

What about Nevada nursing schools? Nevada isn’t too far away and has some BSN programs. It would cost $30K for O-O-S tuition total for Nevada State. http://nsc.nevada.edu/7482.asp Looking at the statistics, I’m about in the middle of the pre-req GPA range and TEAS scores of admitted applicants.

I got accepted to a private southern state (not saying which one) with a 3.8 cum, I think 3.7 pre-req GPA (bc B’s in Microbio, Gen Chem 1, and Group Discussion) BSN program which like $30K per yr tuition (yikes, but I had a scholarship then where I could go to any college in country… I lost it bc of leave of absences) in June last year (2014), but bc of many reasons had to return to Cali. I thought the same thing Charlie… also, it seemed of lesser quality. Southern states aren’t for me for many reasons… also too far. Culture shock plus my fam will never move there.

My mom gets SSI benefits, and has to re-apply whenever moving O-O-S. Also moving is difficult. I’d like to stick with her.

Maybe I can look into Nevada programs? Oregon and Washington are hard to get into I hear, and expensive. Nevada, of the nearby states, may be the cheapest and easiest. It’s close by. Arizona is acceptable, too, but could be expensive possibly and slightly harder than NV. Reno is about 4 hrs from where I live and I saw there is a program there, too.

What are the statistics and prices for NV programs?

Also, wouldn’t I need to return to Cali, then pass the NCLEX there? I would submit transcripts to the BRN of Cali?

Has anyone done Western Undergraduate Exchange with nursing programs? I read about this online, and for some “western” states, they can get 150% of resident in-state tuition. CSU Chico is a part of it (the college I go to)

http://wue.wiche.edu/search_results.jsp?searchType=all

Would this mean all these state colleges (or most of them) could grant in-state for RN programs, or as I heard, just some of them?

@SunsetDay, The link that you posted for the 2013 Nevada State nursing admissions was 90 applicants for 16 seats available - that is about a 15% acceptance rate which is probably no better than the Calif. public colleges. OOS public universities will probably give preferance to their in-state applicants over an OOS applicant too. Northern Arizona, Southern Oregon, U. Nevada - Reno & U. Nevada - Las Vegas may be easier to get into if they accept OOS nursing transfer students. Also, will the OOS schools accept your Cal. State Chico transfer credits whereas Calif. state schools will most likely accept all the credits. If you look at OOS private schools consider the Univ. of Portland & Grand Canyon Univ. On our Univ. of Portland tour, we met an incoming nursing student who did her prerequisites at a Cal. State school but was denied admission to all the Cal. State nursing programs despite a 3.9 GPA [too many applicants for the number of open seats available]. So, she made the decision to go OOS to get her nursing degree at the Univ. of Portland. Grand Canyon Univ. is supposedly very reasonable for a private school. You may qualify for federal grants etc which could make an OOS private school more affordable. If you look at a school’s website and don’t find the information you need, then call the contact person listed on the SON website. The contact person may be a nurse recruiter or an undergraduate nursing advisor who may be able to give you guidance in whether you would be eligible/qualified to apply for admission. The Western Undergraduate Exchange is usual for majors that the in-state school does not offer and the OOS school does. Also, impacted majors are not usually on the list eligible for the WUE program but you can call each school to check on that.

@blueskyforever

I looked up all the 6 out-of-state colleges you suggested, and unfortunately, none of them work :neutral_face:

For all 6, I need Developmental Psych (across the Lifespan) when Butte College and CSU Chico only offered Child Development (not including adult), which I took.

Also, other not fulfilled pre-requisite requirements. Nevada State wants pathophysiology and some other courses which I don’t have… University of Portland requires Cell&Molec, Old and New Testament, Ethics, Writing Intensive, Lifesoan… Northern AZ req Lifespan… Southern Oregon req. Lifespan… University of Nevada, Reno requires 7 units of Capstone which can only be taken at their Univ, Organic Chem, and Lifespan… University of Nevada, Las Vegas requires English - World Literature, or Public Health, Biol - Fundamentals of Life Science, and Lifespan… Grand Canyon University requires pathophysiology, Lifspan, and 2 classes only offered there - University Success and Christian Worldview.

Aside from the pre-requisites, I haven’t emailed to ask them about their admission statistics.

I did today, however, look up ADN programs in California (of which there are many) and about 40 (more or less - some I didn’t look closer at the pre-reqs) I am eligible to apply for this year. I haven’t emailed them about statistics and/or waiting times yet for most. I know of 3 state universities which are not impacted for their RN-BSN programs, and accept 100% of applicants if they meet their pre-reqs (which usually I already meet).

Based off this, the ADN way, then RN-BSN way is the easiest (and maybe even the fastest) way. I could apply for all 40 programs and see if I get into one of them or which I get into fastest via their waitlists (if they have them).

Thanks for the help so far! Does anyone know of any BSN programs which might accept (other than the ADN then RN-BSN way). Also, ones which are affordable… thanks!

You mentioned in another thread that you already have Pell, Cal & Sup grants. If you look at private BSN programs in Calif, all of your grants & additional FA may bring the cost of attendance into the affordable range. For private BSN schools then look at Western Univ. of Health Sciences, Loma Linda, Azusa Pacific, Concordia, National, Cal Baptist & Point Loma Nazarene. These schools may be easier to get into than the impacted Cal. State schools. You may need to take Lifespan Development & Pathophysiology as prerequisites - both very important classes. For the church affiliated colleges, there may be some religion/philosophy prereqs too.

You do not need to apply to all 40 ADN programs. I would first look at the ones with the highest NCLEX passing scores [>90% - I took this info from the NCLEX Calif. Pass Rates]:

Bakerfield College
Cypress College
El Camino
Grossmont
LA County College of Nursing
LA Harbor College
La Valley
Long Beach City
Hartnell
Imperial
Modesto Jr
Mt. San Jacinto
Victor Valley
Ventura
Riverside

Many of these schools are in southern Calif. The cost of living would be higher in and around LA.
Riverside, Victor Valley & Imperial - the cost of living would not be as high as in LA.
Modesto & Bakersfield are in the middle part of the state which is closer to you & cost of living would not be as high as the Bay are or LA. I am not familiar with Grossmont & Hartnell - are they in northern Calif? There are a bunch of ADN schools that are in the 80 - 90% pass range that may be worth applying to if they are closer to you as Butte is.

Here is the Calif. NCLEX pass rates again:

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/passrates.shtml

An additional OOS school that you can look at is Arizona State but there will be some prerequisites that you will need to take.

@blueskyforever

Do the Cal Grant and SUP grants (Supplemental University Grant - given at CSU Chico) apply to private BSN programs? I know the Pell can apply to any university, but I thought the Cal grant was only for public universities/community colleges? I only have 1 more eligible year of Cal Grant bc of the year of leave of absence. I think SUP is only offered at CSU’s?

I narrowed the list down by pre-reqs I have completed, to about 30-33, and I am eligible to apply to these colleges within this year:

Alan Hancock
American River
Antelope Valley
Bakersfield
Cabrillo
Chabot
City College of San Francisco
College of the Canyons
College of the Desert
College of the Sequoias
Cuesta
Cypress
Fresno City
Glendale
Grossmont
Hartnell
MiraCosta
Modesto
Palomar
Pasadena City
Rio Hondo
Saddleback
San Bernardino Valley
San Diego City
San Joaquin Delta
Santa Rosa
Shasta
Solano
Victor Valley
West Hills

I haven’t checked their pass rates, or looked closely into admission statistics/waiting times (they’re never posted on their websites it seems and haven’t googled for forums to see the stats of people who get in or emailed yet). Victor Valley I would need to apply to ASAP bc it’s due date is April 10th (there’s another cycle in Sept). I applied to their college for an ID#, but I’m still waiting for it via email. The others I have some time left to apply (May, Summer, Fall, e.g.).

I’ll start picking away today at the list to ask about GPA/TEAS statistics via email.

For some of the point systems, I get a few more points for having 2 AA degrees. However, I’m not a certified healthcare worker, and may barely get the min volunteer hrs. I’ll also ask the point-cut offs for the ones which have that system.

Some I need to ask about Group Discussion/Communication qualifying in place of Public Speaking and Statistics (w/ a credit for Intermediate Alg) qualifying for the math if they just say “intermediate algebra” but don’t say if they accept a higher math. Long list! haha

Hi, Have you considered taking the missing pre-req. classes online? If you only need 1 or 2 more classes such as Statistic & Life Span or other classes.
I don’t know about CA schools, but in general, most Nursing programs will accept classes taken online.
That means you can take them from any community colleges ( even out of state ) online to fulfill the pre-req.
You just need to have all the classes completed before the start of the program ( if admitted )
and can apply while you are still taking the classes.

I have statistics, but I do not have lifespan until adulthood (just childhood). I emailed if statistics could take the place of intermediate algebra, and since statistics has intermediate algebra as the pre-requisite, it should count. Some programs also will accept Group Communication in place of public speaking since it still is a communication class. I don’t have enough $ to pay for an online class atm.

I emailed people at all of the schools on my list. A few didn’t go through and I’ll need to re-email them. So far, most haven’t given out any statistics of prior applicant pools. Only one school so far gave me an average, which was MiraCosta, but they didn’t give a point cut-off (or lowest points they accepted). Many schools now are doing a MutliCriteria point system… which includes degrees/health certifications obtained, grades in pre-requisite classes, disadvantages, 2nd language, and TEAS scores. Some are then basing the lottery off the highest scores or accepting based off of that.

I’ll keep asking and hope that if I apply to all of these (except Sonoma, they are no longer taking more applicants to their waitlist until 2016), I might be able to get into one for Spring 16… I’ll also keep working on a Bachelors degree bc that gives 10 more points on these lists.

California is tough bc everybody wants to live here… lol.

Sunsetday, what was the average for miracosta?