Student Checking/Credit Account

<p>Son has been accepted and will attend this coming Fall 2014. While he has a local checking account, we think he may be better served having a local bank account. Any thoughts or suggestions whether he should go with Wells Fargo or Chase? Understand both have ATM's on campus, Chase has a bank location in the MSC, and Wells Fargo is the "official" bank for A&M.</p>

<p>What do you think? </p>

<p>We have Chase even though I hate them (too lazy too change). Both my college sons have accounts tied to mine so that I can easily transfer funds anytime.</p>

<p>My kids like having a Wells Fargo account because it is very convenient. </p>

<p>My daughter who is a junior at A&M wishes she had Wells Fargo. She currently has Chase</p>

<p>Bank wherever you can also get an account – you will have to make transfers & a no hold transfer is often needed… plus if you’re on their account you can see if they are running low & avoid fees (mine get a lecture instead). Unfortunately the days of writing down deposits/withdrawals in a checkbook just don’t apply to this generation.</p>

<p>Thanks for the thoughts and information. I was partly also thinking of the convenience of having a branch office actually on campus (Chase) as compared to having to go off campus (WF) if our son goes down without a car. Curious, NETarrantMom, the reason for your daughter’s wish she had WF?</p>

<p>There is a Wells Fargo branch on North Gate, so it is within walking distance from campus. There are several ATMs around campus as well. They will hit you up at your NSC to sign up for an account and get a TAMU debit card. I agree with AGmomx2 though…it’s only super convenient if you can put money INTO it easily! :slight_smile:
Also, if you use financial aid, Wells Fargo accounts receive the money faster than waiting on a check.</p>

<p>Thanks, momma2014! Call me old school, but it’s great to hear there’s a walk-in, see-a-person branch office just across the street! </p>

<p>Oh, and bye the way, any ideas/suggestions as to whether it’s best to just go ahead and open an account now as compared to waiting until May during the busyness of the NSC? </p>

<p>Tshusker —I text my daughter and asked why she has always liked Wells Fargo better and she responded that it was because she always lived on the Northside and attended engineering classes on the northside so she preferred the convenience of a northside bank… Hardly seems like a long way to MSC but ok.</p>