Student Credit Card

Any input on what credit card can be offered without any credit history? Looking for something for our college student and finding all credit card companies go with apply and find out. I don’t want to ruin the history before it gets built.
Thanks for the input!

This thread may help.

1 Like

My college age son had a few options with Discover. We have been happy with his card so far.

Check out the Chase Freedom Student card. Even if the student has no income and is relying on your financial support, they can qualify for a card.

We sat both of our kids down with our banker. They discussed with them how to properly establish credit. Helped them apply (Bank of America). Both kids we never had to cosign apartments etc and both early 20s out of school have fabulous credit.

Both of our college students just did Capitol One. No fee, no foreign transaction fees (when they study abroad) and you can “apply” to see if qualified and only after you accept does it count on credit report. Not sure how that works ! One of our kids was issued $300 credit and the other $2000- no clue how that happened, as same info including savings account balance. One more thing for them to tease each other about :slight_smile: They had 2 options with Cap One - Savor 1 with cash back more on entertainment/dining or Cap One Silver with cash back (smaller %) on all purchases. We bank with Chase and their card did not waive foreign transaction fees.

Different genders? One is above 21 and the other is not?

1 Like

Twins - both girls !! Applications filled out within 5 minutes if each other. Kooky.

1 Like

That was my thread, put our twins on our card as authorized users, and my daughter also got a discover card (her brother did not, didn’t even mention it to him).

1 Like

One likely hit a test cell in the acquisition strategy. Credit card companies always have tests going on that will assign different yes/no decisions or line assessments to a randomly selected part of the population.

Credit unions also have student credit cards for member kids. So if you are a member…check there.

i’ll tell them - but the one that goes to the very prestigious college - thinks that is why she got a higher limit :rofl: loves to rub it in!

1 Like

The other thing that could have happened if the second one was as the lower credit limit is that they could have lowered the credit limit due to fraud risk. You said that they were 5 minutes apart. Two applications coming from the same location (device/IP address) is a standard reg flag.

My D got a Discover card while in college. As an adult she eventually cancelled the card but it served her very well.

When my daughter traveled to Europe (once with a school group, and then for study abroad) I got her a card on my account but didn’t provide her SSN or any other info to the card company (Chase). I’m not sure she ever used it but maybe once or twice. Since then I’ve opened two other Chase accounts (Southwest Airlines and Amazon Prime). The SW card is the one I use the most.

The other day my daughter was checking her credit score and notice the Chase card, but not the one also with a card in her name (Disney) but just my SW one (we haven’t used the Disney one in years). Somehow they’ve tied her credit score to my accounts. She now has a credit score over 800! She has never had a credit card in her own name (uses a debit card or if she needs to charge plane tickets uses my card), has never had a car loan or utilities in her name. Her student loans are on pause except her Perkins loan which we did pay in full, early.

S23 (via my guidance) just applied for the “Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card” - it has cash back percentages that vary per the spending category, as well as a $50 bonus if you spend $100 over the first 3 months.

You do not need a credit history to be approved, the application asks if you’re student, your graduation year, and income per year - however it notes that money deposited into your account by other people (such as your parents) can be included. For my kiddo, his summer jobs have been mostly cash based, so being able to honestly add to this amount on an application was a boon. (I had him put down $15k per year, as I could deposit that amount into his checking account and have him pay the room and board himself.)

With the $15k income, no credit history, and being a college student graduating in 2027 - he was immediately approved via their online application for a card with a $500 credit limit.

He’s made a standing appointment in his calendar to pay it in full every Saturday morning (on my advice, it’s easier for a new user to review your charges once a week and know immediately if they’re valid or not than once a month, and paying it weekly will keep him under 30% utilization).

2 Likes

With capital one, you can have it set up so you phone gives you a notification every time it’s used, so you know immediately if it’s valid or not.

My delta Amex does it too. But my USAA and Amazon (H) cards I only get texts every time it’s used. I prefer the notification myself. Sometimes there’s a few hour delay with the text.

2 Likes

nope - 2nd app got more money - all good, just interesting. They loved the $50 bonus for usage. I see further down on this string that @blueberriesforsal child just got the same card with a limit in between my kids, and a back account much higher.

my kids also installed the app to get notified and set up auto payment for the full amount to come out of their saving acct. I hope they keep it that way - next step in adulting !

1 Like

My kids set up autopay, they don’t have to think about it.

Make student an authorized user on parent credit card would allow student to build up credit history and boost student’s credit history. If parent’s credit history is poor, probably not a good idea. Authorized user isn’t responsible for any charges (parent is on hook). Hopefully student doesn’t surprise parents with some absurd charge(s).

4 Likes