Student life after classes at TAMU

I have been accepted to TAMU for Fall 2015 for biology/zoology. I have visited the campus twice. I am a little concerned about student demographics. I live in Houston and consider myself more of a liberal. I enjoy hanging out with friends (kickbacks and parties) can anyone comment on the fun aspect of TAMU after school has finished. What do freshman students do for fun? I don’t really like country music and line dancing but have read threads that this is a popular activity for students. Thanks

A&M is so big that it is what you make it. There is a lot of country stuff to do in town, but that is because those things are popular and generate profit. There are 45,000+ students here and plenty of them probably share the same interests you do. The number is too big for there not to be some people attending the school not like you.

This is a conservative university though for sure, but there is a fair amount of diversity, differing ideologies, cultures and such. Because of the top 10% rule, you are definitely going to run into a narrow viewed red neck from back country Texas who doesn’t want to deal with any of your liberal views. On the other hand, you have a political teacher who is a lesbian, atheist, anarchist working/lecturing for A&M. The school has it all, but you do have to be willing to look for it.

My advice to you, especially if you are not a die hard aggie fan, know yourself before you come here. Know what you can tolerate in differing views and what you cannot. If you know conservative red necks are going to piss you off and make you sick every time you see one, honestly, shame on you for coming here. But if you enjoy being around all sorts of people and can put up with the ones you don’t agree with and still enjoy yourself at the end of the day, then still come here. It is a very big student body and a very big campus and there are campus organizations and events for everyone. Bryan/College station has hookah lounges, bars, night clubs, along with the traditional country western escapes. There are always things to do and at the end of the day, you are still only an hour and a half away from Houston either way.

I am from Houston as well and am not a super big fan of country. But honestly there is a ton to do here in C-Stat! Look into going organizations and you’ll be able to find things to do. There is also Northgate if you like going out (not many country places there) and theres always something happening on the weekends.