Students from Maryland

<p>Looking for current/ recent past students from Maryland to network with. Son is rising senior, has applied to UA, and wants to learn more about UA. Computer science/ math major. Would love to meet local students that he can network with- particularly if you are a computer science major! Thanks!</p>

<p>I hope some kids post, but frankly not very many current or past students come to this forum. Once kids are enrolled, they move on to other things. Sea_Tide and a couple of others are the few current students who post on the Bama Forum.</p>

<p>I might be able to find some Maryland Bama students for you thru Facebook and thru CBH. I’ll see what I can find.</p>

<p>vlines: You may try to connect with the UA regional admissions rep. She would know students from Maryland.</p>

<p>Good idea, momreads, I will do that. Hopefully, the rep is a good one in this area. We tried to connect with another local rep for another uni, and it was not exactly a positive experience!</p>

<p>Oh, I also recommended that my son reach out to the CS dept contact and ask them directly about students that may be from this area. We have a really good state school for CS, so it may limit students that enter CS from here. But worth a shot!</p>

<p>I know that in 2009-2010, there were 144 students from Maryland at Bama. I believe that number was higher this last year.</p>

<p>David Cordes, PhD
<a href=“mailto:cordes@ua.edu”>cordes@ua.edu</a>
Professor and Department Head, Department of Computer Science
Director, Freshman Engineering Program
205-348-6363</p>

<p>I’m not sure the CS dept knows off-hand which states their kids are from. It would be interesting to know if they track that.</p>

<p>I am an incoming freshman this fall from Maryland! I know of a couple other people from around MD that are starting this fall too, I think it’s starting to become a pretty popular choice recently :)</p>

<p>Oh, and also- I know one of the Avantis is definitely from MD because he went to my HS. I don’t know him personally but he might be willing to talk to your son, if you want I can PM you his name!</p>

<p>That would be great xHollyx- we are in the Pasadena area. What part of MD are you from?</p>

<p>No problem! I’m from north-central MD, so not too close, but there are definitely some people from near Annapolis who are starting this year.</p>

<p>That is great Holly, glad to hear it. I do not even think that Alabama is on many people’s radar in my school yet. No one is identified on Naviance at this point. But you know how it is around here…UMCP and UMBC are top schools for recriuting.</p>

<p>Yeah, I had never even thought about applying to Alabama until I found this forum! The UMD schools are definitely both great academically but I’ve lived here for a really long time and I wanted a bit of a change for college, so I think it is definitely a better fit for me.</p>

<p>That is exactly where my son is coming from Holly. He wants something different than what everyone else is doing. And as an only child, I think this is a smart move for him. It sounds like an environment I can be comfortable with him living in too, unlike college park!</p>

<p>I know I am biased, but the campus at UA is soo much nicer than college park, the buildings are all really pretty and it feels so much safer too! The residence halls are amazing as well, I know some of my friends at UMD had 3 people in a room and here they have suites where you share a kitchen, living room, and 2 bathrooms with 3 other people and get your room to yourself, which I definitely prefer haha</p>

<p>Yea, the room to yourself was definately a selling point for my son too. Undergrad research in the CBHP is really appealing to him, as well as all of the AP/CC credits they will accept. UMCP will not accept as many for him, or all of his CC credits. For all of those reasons, and more, it UA is looking better and better. Besides, he looks good in red! LOL</p>

<p>Red? How dare you? lol. It is Crimson!</p>

<p>LOL Atlanta68, pardon my ignorance. He looks even better in crimson!</p>