Study Abroad Cost

My daughter uses a backpack as a carryon, and recently Frontier said it was too big for a ‘personal item’ and charged her and her BF $100 at the gate! (that is why I don’t fly Frontier). A lot of the European airlines will only allow bag the ‘fit in the box’ (HxWxL) and those boxes are smaller than what the US carriers allow.

I told her I would have put on every item in the backpack and wore it onto the plane, looking like an Oompa Loompa but saving $100.

2 Likes

We bought D20 a bag especially for travel (on super, super sale) on low cost European carriers. I think the dimensions for a personal item are 15x10x8.

It has since been discontinued but here is an example of the approximate size.

https://sherpani.com/collections/sale/products/dispatch-fw22?variant=44340149846316

My daughter will begin college in the autumn, and she would like to study abroad during one semester of her sophomore or junior year. I’m not sure if there is general answer to my question, but let’s see.

Suppose my daughter enrolls at college XYZ in the USA, where she receives a partial merit scholarship. She still pays $7K per semester to attend XYZ. During her junior year, she spends one semester in Germany, which will have its own travel, living and study costs. Will she still have to pay $7K to college XYZ for the semester that she is in Germany, even though she will not be at college XYZ during that semester?

Hope that made sense. Thx.

The best place to find the answer to your question is within the specific college your child is planning to attend. Colleges run their study abroad programs quite differently from school to school.

Usually there is a Study Abroad Office or Global Engagement Office or some sort of department like that that handles all study abroad issues and questions. Call or email them and I am sure you’ll get a response asap.

1 Like

Maybe. It depends how the school sets up study abroad.

Also, she most likely will have extra costs like travel, room and board (probably won’t be the same as at home college), insurance. My daughter also had some expenses at the college that were required, like a transportation card for the school and one for the city, there was a fee for the library or the student center or something (it wasn’t much, but weird).

Student Union?

In some countries they run the cafeteria, provide student services, even affordable housing, e.g.:

What is that link with all the foreign text??

Strange, I pasted it from an English language page that it links to. No idea why the CC preview window shows it as middle eastern looking script…

I guess the CC’s preview code doesn’t set the proper HTTP request header to prioritize the “EN” version of a multi-lingual site. As an en-US browser user, my browser does show the English version text.

Actually the link doesn’t take you to an article…or post. It takes you to a sign in page…for Facebook.

ETA…when I went back out, I did get the post on Facebook…it’s about what happens in Germany. Maybe a screenshot would work better than the link?

Thank you!!

1 Like

When figuring out when to study abroad take job/internship recruiting schedule into consideration.

2 Likes

Totally agree. D20 hasn’t loved dialing into recruiting zooms and interviews at midnight her time this year.

1 Like