Study Abroad Scholarship

<p>I am planning on studying abroad next semester and had some questions about scholarship application. I receive a National Merit scholarship, so am planning on applying a semester of tuition and the $2000 stipend to the program. It is through an affiliate program, so my understanding is that I directly pay the program and then UA later reimburses me for the value of my scholarship for the semester. Is that how it works?</p>

<p>Also, I was looking at the application to use a semester of tuition for study abroad, and noticed that it is reviewed by a committee and the decision is not made until much later in the semester. It appears I won’t know until after the payment deadline for the program, and certainly not until after a very pricey down payment. There is no way I could afford the program without my scholarship, but it seems like I will have to pay in expectation of receiving it before I know for sure. </p>

<p>Is there any reason UA would deny my request to apply my scholarship to the program? Has anyone here had problems using their scholarship towards study abroad costs?</p>

<p>i would call Scholarships and ask if anyone has been denied. It’s likely just a formality to make sure that the funds were really going to be used for a legitimate program. Keep in mind, that some students go to Study Abroad thru OTHER schools’ SA programs. So, in those cases, approval for funds would really be necessary.</p>

<p>I would think it’s safe to think that any SA program that is listed on Bama’s site would be safe. Where did you learn about this SA program? Have other Bama students gone there before?</p>

<p>I found the program through the search engine on the UA Study Abroad website. I do not know for sure whether other UA students have gone before, but from how quickly the Study Abroad Office finished my course equivalency form (it took about 24 hours for all the equivalencies to be listed when they say it can take 4-6 weeks), I think that other Bama students must have taken those classes through that program before.</p>

<p>Contact the Scholarships office scholarships.ua.edu and include a copy/paste of the program that you want. Ask if there would be any issues with that.</p>

<p>Include a copy to Amber Capell <a href=“mailto:amber.capell@ua.edu”>amber.capell@ua.edu</a> Amber is the Asst Director of Scholarships. Save her email response for future reference.</p>