Study Abroad & UA Scholarships

<p>Can UA scholarships be applied to a semester study abroad program? Does anyone have experience with this?</p>

<p>Yes…you can apply your tuition scholarship to a semester abroad. If you have a housing scholarship, that won’t apply.</p>

<p>My freshman son has the Presidential Scholarship and will be studying abroad in Germany this summer. We have elected NOT to use one of his 8 scholarship semesters for study abroad but rather dip into his college fund to cover the costs. Being OOS, double majoring and with the University Scholars program, it’s just cost effective as he will need all 8 semesters in Tuscaloosa to accomplish this.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick replies! kmwjes, since you are OOS, can you clarify the dollar amount of the scholarship that applies to study abroad. I know some schools only apply the instate amount to study abroad semesters, even though the student is OOS.</p>

<p>If you do a semester abroad, then Bama applies about $10k towards your costs. That’s half of a year’s tuition.</p>

<p>For those who have students who want to study abroad, make certain you remind them to check out scholarship opportunities for additional funding. My son landed enough money to cover his flight to and from Europe last summer.</p>

<p>And based on M2CK info, we would rather pay the $5200 study abroad tuition/housing for 7 hours credit and reserve the invaluable Presidential scholarship semester for main campus semesters that total 15-18 hours. This does not put any pressure on him to have too many credits each semester and for his major, GPA preservation is imperative.</p>

<p>Also, there are separate study abroad scholarships which your student can check into. Unfortunately, we did not know that son had to have declared German as a major to have access to those, which if he hasn’t already, will now.</p>

<p>Bumping this thread and using it to clarify how a semester of scholarship gets used toward study abroad (at least for summer). My daughter is going to UA in Oxford this summer. The UA program cost is $6850 of which tuition is $2370. My hope was that the entire $6850 could be offset by a semester of scholarship but I’ve learned that only the $2370 would. We probably would have used a semester if we got $6850 for it but we will not use it just for $2370. (D will most likely do an internship one semester that would essentially free up a semester of scholarship).</p>

<p>Not an answer to your question but reminded me to post this. DS studied with UA in Germany (Berlin) last summer. Several dorm rooms were broken into while the students were not there. I happened to ask DS to tape his passport/extra cash, other small valuables to the back of his dresser as a precaution his first day there. He was the only one of the 4 students in his dorm that did not have money or some other valuable stolen. They seemed to have known when the students were not there…just an idea, bring strong tape.</p>

<p>Wow! It’s like a spy movie. Great advice.</p>

<p>Never heard of that before, that is great advice!! Thanks!</p>

<p>No matter how you protect your valuable documents while you are traveling ( and there are so many different ways) make sure to have a color copy of all credit/ debit cards (front and back), a color copy of drivers license and your passport. Leave one copy at home (to be faxed if necessary) and keep a second copy with you (separate from the originals).</p>

<p>Girls/ladies should have slash proof purses. Cross body style bags are safest. Backpacks should be slash proof and lockable as well.</p>

<p>Important: new passports contain RFID chips, you must protect your passport in a special sleeve (at all times) that prevents your info from being hacked.</p>

<p>Wow, my d wants to study abroad this summer, I’m sending her this thread. Thanks!</p>