Study abroad

<p>Montegut: I would also recommend that your son check the weekly Honors College newsletter that is sent out on Fridays. Often, there are community service opportunities listed. Some may be the chance to go elsewhere.</p>

<p>I take it you are not using his study abroad money for this, but funding it out of your pocket.</p>

<p>This is for my second son who isn’t NMF. He has the Presidential and Eng’g scholarships, so no study abroad money. So, yeah, we’re paying for whole thing.</p>

<p>Not to be too nosy, but have your sons been able to do or are planning to do any study abroad?</p>

<p>Older son (the NMF) didn’t want to do a study abroad so when Bama found out that he did the volunteer thing last summer for AP students, they cut him the check.</p>

<p>Thanks you everyone for clearing up the confusion. All your insight is worth it’s weight in gold!</p>

<p>i emailed engineering…they said they’ll pay only what is chargeable to one’s student account…ill see if i can ask someone else to get more clarification</p>

<p>*i emailed engineering…they said they’ll pay only what is chargeable to one’s student account…ill see if i can ask someone else to get more clarification *</p>

<p>LOL…what does THAT mean??? That was a weird response. I wonder if the person wasn’t sure what you were asking. </p>

<p>What study abroad are you interested in? I wonder if you choose something that has something to do with the CoE in some way (CS or Eng’g) then they’ll pay their part of the scholarship.</p>

<p>the person was very nice and she said that she wasnt that familiar with study abroad…so i emailed the study abroad people :)</p>

<p>here’s part of what she said

</p>

<p>Ok…so you’d get a good amount of money!!!</p>

<p>Right?</p>

<p>you’d get $10k + $1250 for a semester abroad! Right?</p>

<p>Wow!!! Where do you want to go???</p>

<p>im not sure if she meant that specifically…that’s why im trying to clarify…</p>

<p>it think it would be more like they would reimburse the tuition for whichever credits transfer to UA…and then give $1250…since $11250 is basically an entire program, so there would be no point for the stipend the NMS people are getting…of course this is just my guess; it could be better, it could be worse</p>

<p>w/e the case, i want to go to spain, or maybe chile or argentina…anyways if money becomes a problem, i can find a way or simply not do it (of course i can’t be in the IHP if thats the case), but that’s a few years away :)</p>

<p>wasnt there a spain engineering thing this past year?</p>

<p>I think what the e-mail from the study abroad people is saying is that both scholarships will be applied to your study abroad costs if you choose a program that can be billed directly to your account. With the university’s merit scholarships, if you choose a study abroad program that cannot be billed to your UA account, they will write you a check or do a direct deposit to your bank account for the amount of your scholarship. I don’t know if the engineering scholarship can be disbursed in the same way.</p>

<p>Some study abroad programs are relatively inexpensive, some are 18,000+ per semester.</p>

<p>Yes, there was an Engineering in Spain program this past summer.</p>

<p>what would they pay for and how would they calculate the amount if the cost cannot be billable to the student’s account?</p>

<p>My understanding of the NMF money for study abroad is that it is 2K toward the expense.</p>

<p>I thought it was as simple as, if your program costs 6K, they deduct 2K from the total, therefore, you pay 4K.</p>

<p>If it’s more complicated than that, please educate me.</p>

<p>I also understand that the 6K cost usually does not include airfare and other personal expenses, though I would hope that it would include housing. </p>

<p>How far in advance should one start applying for summer abroad programs?</p>

<p>Are they competitive?</p>

<p>Montegut: Take a look at some of the programs on the Capstone International page. Many give you a breakdown on the costs, along with a timeline for deposits.</p>

<p>[Capstone</a> International Academic Program](<a href=“Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama”>http://studyabroad.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>So, if the program is $10K a semester and you use UA’s API provider, they would just apply your scholarship to the bill? So if you have the OOS pres scholarship it would cover the $10K. Am I understanding this correctly?</p>

<p>Does anyone know the answer to my above question? Tx</p>

<p>I think that’s right.</p>

<p>the response from the study abroad person seems to indicate that</p>

<p>That is pretty nice. So you are basically paying for the plane ticket & personal expenses, that sounds good to me.</p>

<p>what is an API provider.</p>

<p>When I clicked on the link provided earlier in the thread- there was a provider of study abroad opportunities on the site called API I think. I assumed they were affiliated with UA and you could apply schol. to their fees.</p>

<p>based on some email correspondence, here’s how i think it works</p>

<p>the amount you get is based on how whatever number of credits you’ll transfer to UA…so if you’re a presidential scholar from OOS, i guess you’ll get $10,250 if you will transfer 12-16 credits…if the program costs less than that, then “the scholarship would cover the cost of the program”</p>

<p>if this remains true, it’s very generous IMO :D</p>