Study Abroad

<p>Has anyone’s child done a study abroad through Univ of Alabama? If so, how was their experience?</p>

<p>My D did a summer term with UA at Oxford and loved it.</p>

<p>My D went to Ecuador last summer, had a blast. Can’t beat swimming in the Amazon and then camping in the Andes … as long as you can tolerate the ginormous spiders!</p>

<p>My D is headed to London in Jan for the semester! The study abroad office has been fantastic so far!!</p>

<p>My son did study abroad with the Belgium program, and he loved it. Also visited Germany, Paris and London on weekends. He was part of the Alabama Action Abroad group for two years and did service work in Costa Rica.</p>

<p>My D also did the UA in Oxford program and absolutely loved it. She wishes she could go back this summer.</p>

<p>My son did the Alabama Action in Costa Rica and had a great time. Everything went very well.</p>

<p>D did Alabama Action Abroad w/ colobamamom’s son. Ecuador was amazing for D…Also did Nicaragua with Alabama Greek Mission the week after finals at Christmas. she is going that again this December.
Planning on doing Summer in Spain…just not sure what city.</p>

<p>Alabama has a very large study abroad office…lots and lots of opportunties. Go and talk to them. They are very helpful.</p>

<p>A year and a half ago when we first visited Alabama, my DD and I stopped by the study abroad office to pick up some brochures. The head of the department pulled us in to talk to us about the opportunities. It was such a nice gesture and another example of Bama going above and beyond what any other university did for us. UA surpasses others in so many ways and my DD is excited to take part in one semester study-abroad and several other 2-week trips beginning this May!</p>

<p>For those that did the UA in Oxford program, did you have any success getting scholarships to help pay for it since it is a summer term and not covered with the Freshman scholarships?</p>

<p>How expensive is it to study abroad at UA? If there are any NMF on here, could you tell me whether or not the cost of studying abroad is covered in the NMF scholarship? Thanks!</p>

<p>CB…Study Abroad at Bama is essentially the same as at any univ. Some programs are cheaper than others. Some are pricey.</p>

<p>It seems to me that the pricier programs are “faculty led” and during the summer. </p>

<p>The semester abroad programs (during the school year) seem to be more affordable, especially if you have a tuition scholarship - which you can use for semester abroad.</p>

<p>As for Alabama at Oxford…that is a pricey program as it is in the summer and it’s faculty led.</p>

<p>My D also did the Alabama at Oxford program; she used her $2000 NMF stipend and received an additional $250 study abroad scholarship.</p>

<p>If someone is planning to do a summer abroad, what’s a ball-park figure they can plan for before they know which program they’ll be doing. 5,000-10,000 sound accurate (including flight, food, fees, etc.)?</p>

<p>Summer abroads seem (to me) to be more expensive than Semester Abroads. I would estimate between $5k-10k. </p>

<p>Semester abroads seem “cheaper” to me since you’d be paying tuition (or using a semester tuition scholarship money) anyway.</p>

<p>However, if you’ll have the new 10 semester NMF scholarship, then the Summer Abroad would also be a good deal if you use one of your semester’s for that.</p>

<p>*It seems to me that the pricier programs are “faculty led” and during the summer. *</p>

<p>I wanted to clarify what I mean by “faculty led”. That means that during the summer, a group of students PLUS 1-3 Alabama profs go as a group to a location. The profs are the teachers. The students may be all Alabama students…or they may be a mix of Alabama students and other univs students. Other univ students can sign up for Study Abroads at other univs… Cross-over is common.</p>

<p>^And are summer abroads typically the entire summer, or one half of it?</p>

<p>Seems like they are about half or less of the summer. Oxford was a little shy of 5 weeks. And while it was UA faculty led, D did have an Oxford professor for one of her classes.</p>

<p>^^
From what I’ve seen they tend to be about 4-6 weeks…some will have “add on” options to travel to other countries which can be before or after the 4-6 weeks.</p>

<p>I’ve only looked at a few. The ones I’ve looked at either have classes M-Th and then there are some day trips or weekend trip options. Of some have classes end on noon on Friday.</p>

<p>Don’t take my word on this since there are many possibilities.</p>

<p>Seems like it’s a better investment to do a study abroad program for a semester. The only problem with this being that if a student is getting scholarships from a certain program (sports, debate, theatre) there’s a chance that that scholarship money will be forfeited.</p>

<p>^^^
Right…if the scholarship is tied to the student doing something during the semester (speech, sports, etc), then it may be a problem.</p>

<p>But for those holding Presidential or UA Scholar scholarships, it’s a good deal.</p>