Study Journalism Undergrad or Grad?

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I'm trying to decide what to do next fall. For my undergraduate education, I'm not interested in solely majoring in Journalism. I intended on double majoring in either International Relations/Journalism, Human Development/Journalism, or Political Science/Journalism. I was accepted to Syracuse and would study with both Newhouse and Maxwell if I were to attend. I was also accepted to Northeastern. I'm waiting on NYU, GWU, BU, and Fordham. </p>

<p>The Issue: These schools are very very expensive. Syracuse offered me a terrible FA package. I appealed it, but am not expecting much. I'm worried these other schools will follow suit.</p>

<p>I was accepted to SUNY Binghamton. It is a great school, and as NY resident the price is very reasonable. ISSUE #2: Binghamton doesn't offer a journalism major... they don't even offer any sort of communications program. BUT they are definitely known for their Political Science program. I hear its killer. They do offer Journalism classes....</p>

<p>If I were to major in Political Science and Human Development at Binghamton, take as many journalism classes as I could, pursue the field on my own time, and attend a graduate Journalism program... would I still be competitive in the market? Would I be able to get into good graduate journalism programs?</p>

<p>I was also accepted to SUNY New Paltz which isn't as competitive but does offer both a Journalism and International Relations major. </p>

<p>I'm stuck... is it worth it to take out massive loans to study at a major private communications school for my undergraduate education?</p>

<p>I would appreciate any advice...</p>

<p>thanks for taking the time to read my rambles...</p>

<p>No, it’s not worth taking out massive loans for private undergrad if you intend on going to grad school. You have two good choices in either Binghamton or New Paltz.</p>

<p>I went to both Syracuse and NYU and my son is at New Paltz and he transferred from private school. Frankly, he likes the student body better at the state school vs. the private. They are more down to earth, friendly and creative. I don’t think there is much of a difference in the quality of education, especially if your major opportunities are better or comparable. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your input! I’m just wondering whether or not its a bad idea to put off education in journalism until graduate school…
Is it a bad idea to attend a school that doesn’t have any sort of a communications program? ie: Suny Binghamton</p>

<p>Get a part-time job in the industry. Get an internship. Work on the school newspaper, etc. All viable options.</p>

<p>I think it’s valuable to get the exposure to journalism at the undergrad level. You can make connections with professors and other students that could lead to future opportunities. What you learn as an undergrad can also make you more passionate about your major and lead you in numerous directions within journalism…clarify whether this is what you want to do with your life as well.</p>

<p>thanks Lilymoon and Matermia. </p>

<p>LilyMoon: would you then recommend going to New Paltz over Binghamton?</p>

<p>I would visit the depts. of both schools and meet with the head of the departments you are considering majoring in as well as look at the course offerings for each. See if you would be able to sit in on some classes. See which offers courses that sound the most interesting to you and which place you get the best overall vibe from. Where can you picture yourself being most stimuated and comfortable? The two schools are very different, so my guess is you would be able to get a strong feeling one way or the other.</p>