Studying Abroad

<p>I’m starting to think about where I’d like to study abroad (probably Fall 2013) and was wondering if anyone here has had a particularly good experience with any program.</p>

<p>I’m an English and Polysci major and I’d like to study abroad somewhere in Europe, but I’m not sure where. There are so many cities that I’d like to go to; some of the ones that appeal to me most are Stockholm, Budapest, and Prague (based solely on my desire to travel to these cities and not considering the programs available for these places).</p>

<p>Just wondering if anyone has any insight. The options seem pretty overwhelming.</p>

<p>I’m not an expert in SA in Europe. However, I did want to say you are very wise to start thinking about the opportunity now. The best programs fill up quickly. Get to the study abroad office and get to know them as soon as you get settled at BAMA. With their help, you can begin researching the different countries and programs. Really think about what you want to get out of the experience. For some, it is an opportunity to travel. For others, it is an opportunity to do something amazing to support their study in their major. Remember, the cost of study abroad programs varies widely. Figure out how much you can spend. Being “poor” during this experience can really impact your happiness. Also, if you are OOS, make sure you find out if this impacts the cost of receiving credit at UA. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Regin-
My daughter is currently studying in Belgium. It’s the Alabama in Belgium program led by Dr. Doug Gibler. I will tell you that she is having an amazing time. She’s majoring in Econ but minoring in PoliSci and French. The program for Belgium is PoliSci related. I think she’s getting credit for PSC 422 and PSC 413.
Thus far, she has been to EU Consilium for a class day, University of Liege in Brussels for class, NATO, EU, US Mission Crisis Group at EU, Royal African Museum, Bruges for a day trip, London for a weekend, Paris last weekend and going again this weekend. That’s just a short list.
My daughter is an incoming Frosh fall 2012. She participated in the Capstone Summer Honors Program 2011. Met the right folks, got involved and voila, she’s had the opportunity to study in Europe before her freshman year. Pretty amazing!
She’s living in a flat with 2 juniors and 1 sophomore in Brussels. I believe that 12 students were accepted this summer. That may be the max not positive.
She flew to Brussels alone. Met the others for the first time at the flat. Celebrated her birthday last night with her “new” friends at a local pub. She flies home next week. Will be here for about 30 hours then she moves to campus Aug 10th.
Not sure if this is the type of info that you’re searching for but this is the extent of my knowledge about the program. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I can ask her directly or answer myself.
I will relay that Europe is very expensive.
In London, for example, she visited 2 or 3 museums, ate and paid for the Metro. Did not buy anything outside of food, transportation, and museums fees and spent over $300. She refused to ride the EYE because it was too costly according to her. So plan accordingly.
I didn’t ask specifically about Paris. I know that she bought a museum pass that allows entrance to several sites. Shared a hotel with 3 others, one slept on the floor. The train ticket to Paris was $135 Euros.
The program fee (tuition, travel insurance, some tours, etc) was $4550. That does not include airfare which was $1,400 from our city. She worked 3 jobs her senior year saving for the trip. We agreed to purchase the airfare if she saved money for incidentals while abroad. So far, everyone’s happy.
Good luck!</p>

<p>^^^asaunmom, what a wonderful experience for your daughter to go to Europe and do a study abroad before her freshman year. That would be a good option for some students whose choice of majors would make study abroad difficult. How exciting for her!!</p>

<p>My son has spent the summer abroad and yes, it is expensive. Some countries like Switzerland are most expensive. Students need to be a little creative to save money; sharing a room, traveling on a group train ticket, and eating at less expensive restaurants are just a few ways to save. Also, most museums give students a discount with a student id.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the input! Asaunmom, that’s great that your daughter has had such a wonderful experience.</p>

<p>Has anyone heard of someone studying abroad twice? Since I can easily graduate a semester early, I have thought about putting one of the semesters of my presidential scholarship toward a summer study abroad, in addition to doing a full semester abroad. Is this something people do?</p>

<p>Last question…does anyone know if we are able to apply to programs besides what is listed on UA’s study abroad website, or are those the only ones we can participate in? My first choice in location is probably Scandinavia and the only ones shown are UA in Stockholm, which is a summer program, and one at a medical university in Stockholm, which obviously does not fit my studies. So do I have no option of studying there for a semester, or am I able to look outside what is shown on there?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Regina, we have just been looking at study abroad today. My D is thinking of doing a semester abroad in an exchange program. There is a program in Denmark. </p>

<p>[Program</a> Types > The University of Alabama](<a href=“Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama”>Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Students are welcome to participate in most any study abroad program, but the UA study abroad office doesn’t seem to know much about other programs. Your department may know more about where students in your major tend to study abroad. For example, many business students study at the London School of Economics, but as UA does not have a formal program there, study abroad advisors will not mention it.</p>

<p>I’ve visited both Prague and Budapest, enjoyed both immensely and was highly considering studying abroad in Budapest at well-known math program that UA doesn’t know much about. You might also consider studying in Berlin as it has a very interesting history political-wise and is much less expensive than Stockholm, Prague, and Budapest.</p>

<p>Thank you, sea_tide! You are always so helpful. Berlin is another city that I’ve considered so I will definitely look more into it.</p>

<p>Looking forward to DS coming home tomorrow night after his study abroad with UA in Germany (Berlin) this summer! He has enjoyed the program both personally and academically!<br>
To reduce costs, found a Delta flight for $660 to Berlin. When he went to Paris after the program to see the Tour de France, I found Marriott rates for 44 Euros and similar rates at the Marriott in Berlin for his flight out.</p>

<p>S returned from UA @ Oxford on Sat. Absolutely loved it & said the 2 classes he took (US/Brit Intelligence in WW2 & Detective Fiction) were fantastic.
So freshman be sure to check it out first semester if you have any interest. Thanks to Mike W for letting us know there was an open spot. Good opportunity for a freshman who might not have great summer job or internship options.
Roll Tide</p>

<p>Also a great way to get in Honors Seminars & W classes.</p>

<p>If you find you are on a limited budget, but still want a study abroad experience, I recommend looking into the Honors College program for Alabama Action Abroad. It started three years ago with a trip to Costa Rica. This spring, the trips included Costa Rica, Belize (for those students who do not speak a foreign language) and Ecuador. Students can choose where they would like to go. During the semester, they learn about the country of choice before taking a 10-day trip there to do a service project. My son did two trips to Costa Rica and loved them. He recommends them highly.</p>

<p>My daughter arrives home from Europe tomorrow evening (Tuesday). Friday morning we will be heading to BAMA for Aug 10th move-in ;/ Nothing like a whirlwind turn-around. Then I head back to BAMA Aug 17th for Bid Day activities. Then off to Dallas for some weasel beat down. </p>

<p>Giddy to see my kiddo shortly. UA has been ridiculously awesome and 1st semester hasn’t even began!</p>

<p>Any questions about her experience studying abroad, please ask away. I’ll have her all to myself for a whopping 24 hours ;)</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE ROLL!</p>

<p>^^^ldinct, those classes looked so great. I hope something similar is offered next summer.</p>

<p>Did the kids get to see any of the Olympics while there?</p>

<p>Montegut: One of my son’s roommates finished his research and internship early in Denmark and went to London. He got to see some women’s soccer.</p>

<p>regina - keep in mind that when you study abroad, especially in Europe, you will have the opportunity to visit many other cities on the weekends. You won’t be limited to the place you are studying.</p>

<p>My D also just returned from UA in Oxford. She and a friend backpacked through Europe for the three weeks prior to the program. They had a great time and loved UA in Oxford. My D didn’t attend any of the Olympic events, but I know some of the students did.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when sign ups for the Oxford program usually take place? This is something my D is interested in for next summer. Is the Travel Abroad office in BB Comer?</p>