Stuff other than Greek life?

<p>Okay, I KNOW that the majority of students on campus are not involved in Greek life, but I am a little worried because on the Class of 2016 facebook page, a girl said that there was really nothing for girls to do unless they are in a sorority. Anyway, I really don’t think rushing is for me. For my part, I really only have definite plans to be a part of the honors college and get involved in the methodist campus ministry. So, I was just wondering what other fun things you or your kids do at Bama. Thanks in advanced, roll tide!</p>

<p>I don’t think I’m joining a fraternity… I think I’ll be fine going to sports, playing intramurals and joining a bunch of clubs. I’d imagine there are tons of stuff for people to do at such a big school.</p>

<p>There are over 300 clubs on campus. There is a “Get On Board Day” every semester where the clubs set up tables and tell you about their club. There are so many other opportunities on campus. The honors college has events. The Ministry you want to join will keep you busy. Perhaps you can find a professional club to join. </p>

<p>Does anyone belong to more than 3 or 4 clubs? Don’t forget, you still need time to study ;)</p>

<p>there are MANY campus ministries to get involved in. if the one you planned on doesn’t fit, try another.</p>

<p>i think that you can find plenty to do without being in a sorority, and if that is not really your interest, then you probably would like it much anyway.</p>

<p>Some girls might think that they need to join a sorority, but that’s just what THEY wanted to do. Certainly not necessary. </p>

<p>That girl may be the type who can’t see herself involved in other clubs or service groups.</p>

<p>My D is not in a sorority, and she has a problem finding enough hours in the day for all her activities. You will absolutely find plenty of opportunities to get involved and have fun without going greek.</p>

<p>I was kinda worried when I saw that on FB, too. But I figure, she’s an exception, because the majority of gdi’s seem to have plenty of fun stuff to do without rushing, especially if your in Honors.</p>

<p>My DD is in s sorority but she also is involved in activities that do not have ties to Greek Life. The sororities and fraternities require their members to be involved in AT LEAST 2 clubs/activities that do not have ties to the Greek System. Get on Board Day is a great way to see the many many clubs and groups that are active on campus. Being in a sorority or fraternity is not for everyone. I am sure will have no trouble in finding a variety of activities to keep you busy and afford you many opportunities to make new friends.</p>

<p>If the FB girl comes from certain parts of Alabama, maybe she has been brought up to believe that you can’t have fun without being Greek? When I was at HS in Bham, it was the done thing to join a sorority - all the older girls we knew from HS, soccer, church etc, were in sororities, and the impression made upon us was that the only way to go is greek… maybe that’s her worldview… of course it is not the full picture at all, as many others can testify</p>

<p>Yeah, don’t worry. She’s completely wrong. And even if you want to go out, girls can get in fraternity parties any time they want.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if there is a Get on Board Day for the Spring semester?</p>

<p>I joined a sorority when I was in college, so I’m not dissing pledging. During that time, I really had little idea of what the non-Greeks were doing. This girl is just wrongly assuming that because her Greek life is fulfilling to her, that there isn’t anything else out there. </p>

<p>There are also kids who convince themselves and their parents that they “must pledge” and use that excuse as a reason. One of my friend’s D tried to convince her parents that she “must pledge,” because some of her friends were pledging, but her parents refused (affordability). That D is now a senior and has been very busy these last 4 years.</p>

<p>And, as mentioned above, any girl can go to a frat party if she want.</p>

<p>*Does anyone know if there is a Get on Board Day for the Spring semester? *</p>

<p>Not sure, but probably. There are Spring Admits.</p>

<p>The power of urban myths is amazing. Can you imagine over 20,000 non-Greek students all attending the same school, who are so inept and lame that they can’t find anything socially or recreationally gratifying to do? That would probably break the Guinness World Record for the largest collective case of Initiative Deficit Disorder. :)</p>

<p>Yes, there is a “Get On Board Day” for spring.</p>