Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>We actually liked that Rte. 2 runs through Williams. S felt like he was in a town and not just a campus bubble. The town is integrated into the campus and vice versa and it just felt less claustrophobic.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>When we first toured U Alabama, we noticed that a few of the buildings had this yellowish brick. The brick was attractive, but different, and added a different flavor to the rest of the campus. Well, we found out why those building were different in color. After the Civil War, UA had to rebuild some of its destroyed buildings. The north was asked to supply some bricksā€¦so, the north sent these bricks. But, I must say those few yellowish brick buildings are attractive looking, even though they differ from the rest of the campusā€™ more traditional red brick/white column look. And, of course, most of UAā€™s buildings are newer than post Civil Warā€¦LOL But, there are about 4 antebellum buildings still on the campusā€¦most are used as museums.</p>

<p>If you want to see oneā€¦click here [Campus</a> Landmarks - The University of Alabama](<a href=ā€œPage Not Found | The University of Alabamaā€>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama) scroll down and then click on Smith Hall. And here is a link to one of UAā€™s newest buildingsā€¦ Shelby Hall <a href=ā€œPage Not Found | The University of Alabamaā€>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama; So much better looking than most Calif school architecture that I grew up with.</p>

<p>FindAPlace-- you are right, of course. Just as the kids at any number of schools can withstand the cracks about bricks. That was my point!</p>

<p>I love the yellow brick buildings with green copper roofs at Carnegie Mellon, but I know that a lot of people donā€™t like them. Mind you even if you do like them there is at least one truly hideous building there - Wean Hall - dating from a very bad decade in architecture called ā€œNew Brutalismā€. [Carnegie</a> Mellon - Wean Hall City of Pittsburgh](<a href=ā€œWean Hall - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvaniaā€>Wean Hall - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Itā€™s brutal for sureā€¦ LOL</p>

<p>I did look at some of the other green roofed buildings, and theyā€™re cute.</p>

<p>^^ I actually like thatā€¦</p>

<p>CMU beats Pitt for sure</p>

<p>U Chicago has a building in the ā€œbrutalā€ style too! The name of the style cracks me up.</p>

<p>edit: remembered the building! <a href=ā€œhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Regenstein_Library_entrance2.jpg[/url]ā€>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Regenstein_Library_entrance2.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>LOL. And, thatā€™s exactly what my daughter likes! (The older brick buildings.) :-)</p>

<hr>

<p>ā€œD2 didnā€™t want to go to any schools with brick buildings. (???)ā€</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Reminds me of Swearingen Engineering Center at South Carolina.</p>

<p>[Swearingen</a> Engineering Center](<a href=ā€œBing Maps - Directions, trip planning, traffic cameras & moreā€>Bing Maps - Directions, trip planning, traffic cameras & more)</p>

<p>In person, it looks like it was dropped in from Pyongyang or Soviet-era Moscow.</p>

<p>Another one I can think of is Olin Hall at Vanderbilt (home to Chemical Engineering).</p>

<p>Olin Hall pictures</p>

<p>[Olin</a> Hall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!](<a href=ā€œhttp://www.ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– /photos/veritas3241/3245778972/in/set-72157613719358956/]Olinā€>Olin Hall | Taylor M. | Flickr)</p>

<p>[Olin</a> Hall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!](<a href=ā€œhttp://www.ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– /photos/veritas3241/3244950371/in/set-72157613719358956/]Olinā€>Olin Hall | Taylor M. | Flickr)</p>

<p>Quote:
ā€¦least one truly hideous building there - Wean Hall - dating from a very bad decade in architecture called ā€œNew Brutalismā€. </p>

<hr>

<p>Reminds me of Swearingen Engineering Center at South Carolina.</p>

<p><a href=ā€œBing Maps - Directions, trip planning, traffic cameras & moreā€>Bing Maps - Directions, trip planning, traffic cameras & more;

<p>In person, it looks like it was dropped in from Pyongyang or Soviet-era Moscow.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>OMGā€¦it looks like a landing stripā€¦prepare for take off. LOL</p>

<p>What the heck is that on the left side of Olin Hallā€¦looks like the end of a slideā€¦is that how you exit the building?</p>

<p>One really bad building is enough to turn DD off. Brown has the 1960ā€™s squatty brown library and the 1970ā€™s tall science library. Vassar has the Ferry building. The Art bunkers turned her off at Wesleyan. She likes Middlebury and Williams for their architectural purity.</p>

<p>ā€œD2 didnā€™t want to go to any schools with brick buildings. (???)ā€ </p>

<hr>

<p>LOL. And, thatā€™s exactly what my daughter likes! (The older brick buildings.) :-)</p>

<hr>

<p>Me, too. After all the ugly Calif school architecture, Iā€™ve fallen in love with bricks and columns. They look like ā€œreal collegesā€ to meā€¦LOL </p>

<p>[Carmichael</a> Hall, Campus Tour - The University of Alabama](<a href=ā€œPage Not Found | The University of Alabamaā€>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>[Gorgas</a> Library, Campus Tour - The University of Alabama](<a href=ā€œPage Not Found | The University of Alabamaā€>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>[Barnwell</a> Hall, Campus Tour - The University of Alabama](<a href=ā€œPage Not Found | The University of Alabamaā€>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>After going to college in California and mostly seeing concrete or stucco buildings, I think brick is best!</p>

<p>My son didnā€™t like Western Kentucky because of the Hilltopper mascot. He thought it looked like a cross between the Kool Aid guy and McDonaldā€™s Gremlin. Being a swimmer, he didnā€™t want to wear that ā€˜big red blobā€™ on his swimsuit for four years! Now, my daughter doesnā€™t like the name of ā€œLipscombā€, even though itā€™s a great fi. She says it sounds like ā€œlipā€¦scum!ā€.</p>

<p>Our son also couldā€™ve been at athlete at Pepperdine and visitedā€¦ā€˜too many stairsā€™ he said! This was coming from a current Division I athlete! ???</p>

<p>mom2collegekids: is it just me, or does that swearingen building look like a federal prison?</p>

<p>WOW. At lotsofquests: that made me laugh so hard I just had to reply. So funnyā€¦ My counterargument to that is at least people at Colgate have perfect teeth!</p>

<p>2bizee: Donā€™t let her notice the Sawyer library (at Williams.)I just looked for a link to a picture but couldnā€™t find one. Itā€™ squat, red brick, brutalist, and brutal.</p>

<p>Itā€™s slated for demolition and the replacement is glass and lovely.</p>

<p>However, DS who works in the library, is now waxing nostalgic about how centrally located Sawyer is. It would be gone already except for the economy.</p>

<p>The rest of Williams is lovely, although I am not massively fond of Paresky (new student center.) The '62 building is magnificent.</p>