Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>Magnetron–this thread is “stupidest reason.” I think your son was right! Maybe he could have given them a second look, but he has a point–if that was as good as it gets at a college fair, there may in fact be a culture of “pervasive jerkitude!” If that was your son’s phrase, btw, he is a genius! Love it!</p>

<p>Actually, Magnetron, that doesn’t seem to be a silly reason to reject a college. Given that all the schools know that the admissions people they hire are the only “face” of the college most applicants will ever see, putting that guy out there to meet prospective applicants doesn’t bode well for future interactions.</p>

<p>I’d have put the brochure back, too.</p>

<p>I would actually have called the college to give them a heads up about how they are being represented. That is beyond obnoxious.</p>

<p>Sorry, I thought it was stupid considering our relatives are very kind people and probably more representative of the school than this one d-bag, and being catholic affiliated would attract some socially conscious kids.</p>

<p>He’s an above average kid, nothing stellar except for his ability to throw a baseball, but pretty funny.</p>

<p>megpmom - what’s a Chik-fil-A?</p>

<p>It’s a fast food restaurant.</p>

<p>^ Yeah, the only fast food restaurant that S will eat in. Did I mention that he’s a picky eater?</p>

<p>S1 was trying to ‘sell’ S2 on his school based on 24 hour Taco Bell!</p>

<p>As it is, S2 is applying ED at a school and has no idea where the closest Taco Bell is! Actually, I’m surprised he hasn’t researched it, yet</p>

<p>We have the Chik-fil-A requirement as well. Thought it was crazy until I met someone else with a similar kid. And, if there’s a Starbucks on campus, that is also helpful.
My daughter rejected any college in VA (just because…) but now her #1 school is there. We only went to see it because my son’s girlfriend suggested it. There’s no Chik-fil-A on campus, but there is one nearby.</p>

<p>My son refuses to apply to the University of Virginia, for NO reason, good or bad.</p>

<p>My D1 was very into the idea of a Chick Fil A on campus but now that she has seen several with one, she’s getting a bit jaded. ;-)</p>

<p>She refused UVA on the basis of “even the BUILDINGS feel condescending, Mom!” </p>

<p>I, on the other hand, wanted to lay spread eagle on quad and hold on for dear life until they let me go back to college and attend there!</p>

<p>Waitingforivy wrote:

</p>

<p>Some people say–don’t let one interaction with a college representative color your whole view of the college.</p>

<p>I say–What? This college representative is the one person that the college CHOSE to represent it.</p>

<p>This is why I WON’T look at a college, but why colleges without this are “lower” on my list. </p>

<p>D’Angelo’s. They went out of business. I thought everywhere in the country, certainly everywhere in my home state. Went to visit Smith-- D’Angelo’s right down the street from the nearby target/best buy etc kind of stores. Thrilled!!!
Visited Northeastern, tour went through food court, D’Angelo’s!!! Paradise!</p>

<p>So MIT, Northeastern, and Smith all receive a plus (although superficial). </p>

<p>Second on my superficial list is finding a college that has my current employment nearby. Only 1 does I believe; I may transfer to that location if I attend.</p>

<p>I love coming back to this thread; so amusing.</p>

<p>Is Chick Fil A pronounced Chick Fill-ay, i.e. it’s a chicken sub shop? Those must be some darned tasty sandwiches…not familiar myself.</p>

<p>D’Angelos! CPU, I discovered that chain when my kids went to summer camp in MA! Yum! But are they really that much better than Panera Bread? Another fave…</p>

<p>If you’re working for a chain that has a location near one school and not another, that could be a very important tie breaker, imo.</p>

<p>S has had no “stupid” reasons so far; the closest he came to asking to turn around and leave was when we drove onto Binghamton’s campus and there were traffic lights and bus stops…</p>

<p>

Thanks for the laugh! I know this feeling well. Several of my friends and I experienced this while looking at their course selections when our kids choose classes to sit in on. “Go where you want, we want a do-over” was what we all cried!! :)</p>

<p>Mutti2012–Panera looked way too small portionwise and too expensive pricewise for me to try it. </p>

<p>But the D’Angelo’s surprises were a nice treat!</p>

<p>Mutti2012–yes, it is pronounced “Chick filet” and its original chicken sandwich is a fried filet of chicken breast on a bun, with a couple of pickles. Their grilled chicken sandwich with honey mustard sauce is also great. </p>

<p>We know a 3-year-old who lives in Africa but whose grandparents live in the South. While visiting us with her parents, the little girl saw a water bottle with the logo and triumphantly said, “Chickalay,” so that’s what we now call it sometimes.</p>

<p>And also, Mutti, not sure if I’d want to be working outside of school (ie I’d rather have a campus-affiliated job). My boss now is awesome and understands my school schedule, but another might not. Maybe if I was offered a promotion… :)</p>

<p>And one school that has D’Angelo’s nearby ALSO has my job nearby! +2!</p>

<p>Okay, now for a ‘stupid’ reason. I was on the phone with a state school admissions personnel, she was totally RUDE. Even raised her voice. Unfortunately I had paid my app fee/sent in all required materials for the application at that time. I seriously would have not applied.</p>

<p>My child needs a minimum of a Target and a J Crew.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Parents, represent!</p>