Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>Wow, great detective work hoosiermom. And (lol) I hadn’t realized MIT fit the bill so well, reeinaz. Extra credit points! But kinderny’s alma mater it is–and S used the 3 initial shorthand, of course.</p>

<p>Us alums have shortened it to two: Go 'SC. ;)</p>

<p>My DD (a die hard Yankees fan) would not look at any school in the Boston area. She was ok going to Philadelphia though because she doesn’t find the Phillies to be a threat lol. (sorry Phillies fans)</p>

1 Like

<p>I’m resurrecting this thread because it’s a community service.
My personal one is that I will think twice before attending Hunter College, because I use their gym and the stairs are atrocious and the up escalators always break.
Not to mention the fact that I would probably never end up near the gym if I actually went there, but…
And my friend refused to apply to her dream school because at the open house she got stuck in the elevator.</p>

<p>My friend tripped on the stairs at one of the schools and thought it was a bad omen.</p>

<p>I know this is a bit old, but Sewanee: The University of the South is another twelve syllable name.</p>

<p>For polysyllabic names, how about IUPUI: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis?</p>

<p>K2 wont look at schools in-state
…nor any big state Us that alums went to…who k2 deemed not too bright…</p>

<p>a shame really because a few are pretty nice.</p>

<p>k1 eliminated a school because the tour guide said Um, a lot…meaning in the first 2 minutes you knew it would be a loooooong 45 min</p>

<p>k2 eliminated a really nice state U because the campus is so spread out, there are forced triples, and most food options were junk food/fast food…</p>

<p>Somehow I dont recall thinking about some of this back in the day…</p>

<p>S wouldn’t consider a ‘reserve university’ and didn’t like another because of its name…</p>

<p>My S won’t consider any in-state schools…yet also will not consider any schools he has never heard of, because evidently name recognition is all that matters in a college? This dramatically limits his options, because 17 yr olds just haven’t had enough life experience to hear about a lot of really good quality colleges. I feel like I have to become a salesman anytime I suggest a college for him to consider…</p>

<p>Collegefortwins–17 year olds know everything…just ask them :smiley: :smiley: :D</p>

<p>Very true, SteveMA! :wink: I wish I could count the number of times in the past two weeks my D has stopped just short of rolling her eyes in disgust at me while saying to me, “I’m 17 yrs old!” as though that makes her INFINITELY smarter than when she was 16…two weeks ago.</p>

<p>Too funny, Collegefortwins. We parents don’t know anything because we lived in a bubble all of our lives.</p>

<p>We did have a moment, last week, when our 17 year old D did listen to us…she was filling out housing applications and could pick between an all freshman dorm or a dorm that had one floor of freshmen and the rest were soph-seniors. We encouraged her to pick the all freshman dorm even though it is roughly 100 yards farther away than the other dorm :D. Guess what, she DID :eek:.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Most incoming college freshmen want to room together to have somewhat of a bonding experience between others in their year. </p>

<p>However, there are a few odd-ducks in the pack like myself. Despite starting college at 17, I found most freshman dorms in nearby colleges I visited to be too noisy and students too immature for me*. </p>

<p>Thank goodness my LAC only has one small freshman dorm and that it wasn’t mandatory or even strongly encouraged. Thankfully, my dorm experiences were with a good mix of different class years…especially considering I found I got along better with the older students than with those in my own class. </p>

<ul>
<li>I don’t know how some college freshmen felt it’s fine or a display of college maturity to do things like stuff cake under doors of their hallmates, set off fire alarms regularly, attempt to have a bonfire roasting marshmallows and hotdogs in their dormroom, or even urinate/defecate in the dorm’s mailroom. Saw all of this firsthand at several colleges in the NYC and Boston areas. :(</li>
</ul>

<p>

</p>

<p>Fortunately, nothing like that happened in our D’s dorm during her freshman year.</p>

<p>“I found most freshman dorms in nearby colleges I visited to be too noisy and students too immature for me*.”</p>

<p>My son was told by a few upperclassman he knew at his LAC not to pick an all freshman dorm but one with all classes as they are much quieter and not nearly as much partying goes on as in the all freshman dorms. It was a very good advice and he was glad he took it.</p>

<p>Also, there were plenty of freshman in his dorm and his school groups about 4 rooms for freshman together. In addition, they all do the trip thingy the week before classes start so got a lot of the bonding thing then.</p>

<p>Well, D will like the bonding and activities that go on in freshman dorms. She just really wasn’t aware of all the things they would be doing as a group with their dorms. We know her pretty well-the only reason she considered the other dorm was that it was closer to the academic buildings, by about 100 yards :D. She already plans on doing most of her studying in the library. That will work best for her anyway. When she isn’t studying, she won’t want to have to be quiet :D.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Friend’s freshman daughter was fined, along with everyone else on her floor because someone had defecated in the shower. Really? That’s beyond the pale.</p>

<p>Ugh! Gross!</p>

<p>I was kind of thinking of advising my daughter toward an all girl dorm for her freshman year. They can have boys in, not a problem, but I just feel like guys get way more out of control when they are drunk than girls do. I know that’s a huge generalization. But just in terms of getting loud, breaking things, pulling alarms and the like. GIVEN THAT THIS IS A GENERALIZATION, do you agree with it? That’s how I remember my freshman experience!</p>