Subject exams

<p>Well…I took my subject exams, even though I know that the UCs don’t require it anymore. </p>

<p>I just wanted to see how I’d do, and I’ve taken the ACT & SATs, so I wanted to see if this would help me out. </p>

<p>I read that subject exams are not required, but they may brighten up an application. </p>

<p>I got my scores back, and surprisingly, I got a 620 both on Math II and Bio M. </p>

<p>Im kinda upset since I prepped, and I thought i’d do MUCH better. But, I guess not. </p>

<p>Will the UCs look down upon my application if they see the numbers? Or will they just kinda toss em out? </p>

<p>My previous scores go kinda like this:</p>

<p>SAT I: 1760
SAT I (retaken): 1920
ACT w/o writing: 26
ACT w/ writing: 23</p>

<p>I know my scores are pretty average. My school is a really small private school in Alabama, and not many people take the SATs at my school and such. They don’t even prep us for such exams. The valedictorians of my school made 600s on their subject exams; i guess it’s like my school’s subject exam “average”. But, i know that I should’ve been better prepared and I wish I had done my research about these exams earlier. </p>

<p>My parents are making me apply to UCB & UCLA (yes, you guys can laugh)</p>

<p>& I want to apply to UCI & UCD. So, im applying to these 4 schools. </p>

<p>Any form of feedback would be lovely. </p>

<p>Once again, you guys are allowed to laugh. :P</p>

<p>UC is very gpa-focused, so without a more full picture, it’s impossible to give much academic advice. But yes, unless you have a hook, Cal and UCLA are beyond long shots.</p>

<p>But I would ask you a serious question: Are your parents willing to fork over $55k for you to attend a public school? A school at which it getting more crowded and that might require more than four years to graduate?</p>

<p>fwiw: UC does not superscore tests, so I hope that the 1920 is a single sitting.</p>

<p>@bluebayou: My GPA is 3.98 (uw) & 4.64 (w). Im not too sure what my UC GPA is. & my 1920 is a single sitting. But ya, i have no hooks. So, I guess UCB&UCLA are faaar from possible for me. Thank ya for the post tho :)</p>

<p>Okay, so basically I called the UC application peoples. And asked them about subject exam scores & they said that i can put my subject exam scores onto my application if i want them to be considered, and if they’re low, they don’t have to be put onto the application, but i still will have to send all of my scores. </p>

<p>So, my new question is, is a 620 low? I mean, ya, compared to an 800, or even the 700 i kinda sorta expected - it is low. But, ionno, it would be a waste of money for me to take the exams and not to even have them looked at, ykno? Any insights?</p>

<p>Don’t let me talk you out of spending $60 to apply to Cal. Gretsky: You miss every shot that you don’t take. </p>

<p>The big two will be a long-shot. But you have an excellent gpa, which UC loves to see. Who knows…if they want your money bad enough… :)</p>

<p>Since the Subject Test scores are similar to your others scores, they will probably neither help nor hurt. No harm in sending them. On the plus side, UC also recognizes that a lot of those 700’s are from kids at top high schools who are taking AP courses. </p>

<p>In the Additional Comments box, I would let UC know that you took the most rigorous schedule at your HS.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Thankss a ton bluebayou. :slight_smile: Ya, hopefully they will want my money bad enough. Haha. But, my target & dream school is UCD. I hope that school isn’t a long shot :confused: </p>

<p>And I wrote about how my school only offers 1 AP course, so I hope that will help. Thank you for the feedback :)</p>