Subject Tests

<p>I am applying to the UCs, most of which only need SAT IIs for the engineering schools. I am applying for mostly biology or biological anthropology or linguistics. Only UCSD wants recommends SAT IIs for this major. Should I self report to all colleges through the UC application, or just not mention it on the application and send it from the testing agency? My scores are a little low (700s) so I don’t know if I want them to see it if they don’t recommend it.</p>

<p>Scores in the 700s are not low… </p>

<p>You are over thinking it - self report, send and enjoy the Thanksgiving weekend.</p>

<p>Whoops didn’t realize you had already replied! What is the UC opinion on score choice? I took a test in ninth grade that was REALLY bad (like 550) and I’d rather not send that…</p>

<p>I guess my main question is whether I HAVE to report my scores on the application, or whether I can just send certain SAT IIs to certain universities that recommend them for the major I am applying for.</p>

<p>For example UCSD recommends SAT IIs for the biology major, but Berkeley doesn’t. So can I just not self report and then only send my SAT IIs to San Diego but not Berkeley?</p>

<p>The UCs prefer that you do not use score choice. They will only consider your highest score, so they do not want applicants to have to spend extra money (and pour even more $$$ into greedy College Board…). There is no need to use score choice. None. They will only consider your highest scores (doesn’t matter how many times this is said, applicants will continue to pay extra to clever College Board).</p>

<p>You should send your subject tests. Until only a couple of years ago, two SAT subject tests were REQUIRED at all UCs. The change was made to be sure low-income applicants without the resources to take multiple SAT sittings to get subject tests scores (more money to greedy College Board) would be eligible to apply NOT because they did not value the information. And, once again (though no one is listening…), subject test scores in the 700s are fine scores that you WANT all UCs to which you are applying to see.</p>

<p>700’s are fine scores for all UC’s. Send them.</p>

<p>Would the UCs know if I used score choice? I just don’t understand score choice… Does the college board say in the score report that score choice was utilized? If the UC only looks at the highest score, it seems to me that they would be neutral towards whether a student used score choice or not.</p>

<p>Also do I have to report if I will take them again, or can I just take them again and then send them to the colleges, without reporting that I will be retaking?</p>

<p>UC does not accept score choice, so avoid any ethical issues and send all scores.</p>

<p>UC does not care about retakes, so go ahead. The higher the better. (Although IMO going from a low 700 to a high 700 will make absolutely no difference in most programs.)</p>

<p>What about my 570 in physics from freshman year? I took it on a whim (I don’t know why…) and now I have to send it :-(</p>

<p>Also, the UC website only indicates that they do no like score choice for the regular SAT, but they do not state anything about the subject tests…</p>

<p>Any help about my physics? I didn’t list physics as one of the three tests that I am self reporting, so will they even look at it?</p>

<p>^ they won’t care about physics if you have two other strong scores.</p>

<p>I actually have three other strong scores and I’m only allowed to list three, so will they even look at the physics score sent by the collegeboard?</p>