Submitting AP Exam scores in lieu of SAT/ACT in college apps

Hi all. Confused about how to counsel kid about upcoming SAT/ACT prep (she’s a high school junior), given all the talk about SAT/ACT “test-optional” applications at many top colleges to which she will probably apply. She’s academically oriented with excellent grades, and this year taking a very AP-heavy course load, after doing very well on the AP Bio exam and class as a sophomore. So I’m wondering: Let’s say she gets all 5s and 4s on her many AP exams. Would submitting these in lieu of a strong SAT/ACT score be considered rigorous enough?

(My own take is that submitting only a slew of high AP scores SHOULD be sufficient, since these exams test subject-based material that students use class time to prepare for in clear and standardized curricula, as opposed to expecting kids to grind away with SAT/ACT test-prep tutors/Khan Academy etc. in their tiny amount of free time not already absorbed by their incredible array of ECs. But I realize my take could be wrong.)

I’m of a generation where “optional” is always code for “required if you really want it.” So while I’d love to tell her to focus on getting As in those AP classes, nailing the AP exams, and forgetting about the SAT/ACT, I’m aware this VERY WELL could be wishful thinking on my part. Welcome your thoughts.

AP exams do not substitute for standardized exam results.

8 Likes

Except in the very rare case, e g. NYU, where AP scores can be submitted in lieu of SAT/ACT.

Which isn’t to say that AP scores won’t be looked at, because they will. But for admissions purposes, they are generally far less important

3 Likes

APs are not really a substitute. Why not have her take the SAT and/or ACT (after some prep or practice), and see how it goes? If she is a kid who can get all 5s/4s on APs then she likely will be well within the range of acceptable SAT/ACT scores, with not too extensive prep. The problem is, it is hard to know until she tries: if she does not plan to take an SAT or ACT as a junior, then gets AP scores back in july and they are 2s/3s and only rare 4? Then that isnt going to add anything to the application, and she will then be way behind on trying to prep for an SAT at the end of summer or start of senior year.
. Has she had a Psat or preACt in 10th grade? These are used (with no prep at all) in our district to help guide which test may be better, SAT or ACT.

1 Like

I know this is not what you asked, but I really don’t like the premise that SAT prep needs to or should look like this. Ideally, IMO, everyone would test with little to no prep and no more than twice.

Kids took PSAT in 10th; maybe 3 sessions with a tutor to refresh concepts learned a long time ago or go over examples of “overthinking” (one kid only did 1 session); and two SAT attempts total. So I don’t think it should be a huge time commitment or stressor. Either they do well and submit the score or don’t do well and go TO. It’s nice to have TO as an option at most schools and I do think they mean it when they say test optional.

3 Likes

Thanks for your note and good question about the PSAT: unfortunately, her large public school didn’t offer it in 10th grade (nor, we learned not long ago, in 11th).

It does sound like she’s going to have to pick SAT or ACT, and we’ll just have to do some trial home tests to see which one she prefers—and go from there.

1 Like

You’re right. It’s a sound plan and I guess unavoidable. (And I hope you’re right, in a worst case, that the test reporting really is optional…)

Your take could be wrong in that huge amounts of time spent prepping for the SAT or ACT are often not necessary, and those spending huge amounts of time on prepping may be prepping very time-inefficiently.

When I was in high school, I did less than 15 minutes of prep for the SAT (which was trying the sample questions in the booklet the sign-up sheet came in).

1 Like

That seems unusual not to offer the psat in 11th grade, as doin very well on it can open up a lot of scholarship opportunities. Maybe you can persuade your school to offer it.

1 Like

My kids did a slow and steady prep for standardized tests. Starting early in junior year they spent one or two hours per week studying. They both took the SAT twice during junior year and that was it. The test prep didn’t cut into their lives in a material way.

1 Like

Our feederish private HS suggests kids take a relatively early SAT and ACT both, to see which is really the better test for them. You can do the test you seem to like better from practice first, but there are cases where the better real test is not the better practice test.

They can then focus on their better test, and that tends to really reduce the necessary prep efforts. Indeed, some people actually get the score they need on the first effort on their better test, so they are done. Usually most people get the score they need on the second test on their better test. A few people do a third.

But my point is just the process need not be too much of a distraction from normal classes and ECs and such, particularly if you start it early enough.

2 Likes

IMO, SAT/ACT prep has a high rate of diminishing returns for most kids. Familiarity with the types of questions that will be asked and better time management will often yield immediate improvement. Taking practice tests and maybe using Khan Academy should be sufficient for most kids.

1 Like

It is unusual—and surprising and upsetting for many of us. But there is no persuading our school district about it. (They stopped offering it during the pandemic and refuse to restart.)

This is helpful to hear, thanks.

Great, thank you. This helps to put it all in perspective.

Helpful to hear about timeline and hours per week that worked for your kids. Thank you!

1 Like

So sorry to hear that.

If your school doesn’t offer the PSAT, she might be able to take it at a neighboring school. But it looks like the deadline to sign up for that is fast approaching. Like other posters have pointed out, the PSAT is not only good practice for the SAT (and an indicator of how well prepared she is), but doing well on the PSAT could open up a slew of huge scholarships via National Merit. Good luck!

3 Likes

D23 we did not send any AP or AICE scores to any schools.
We are in Florida, she is at University of Florida now. We submitted SAT scores to all Florida Publics and then AP/AICE scores to UF after she decided to attend.
OOS Test optional schools did not send scores and received merit and above charts for merit with scores at most schools that published merit scale

1 Like

Absolutely - a tutor (who said - I can’t really do anything for her) for us had zero to do with needing a teacher and everything to do with making time for it one hour each week. Without him there was always a paper, a homework, a test, a club… that took precedence.

1 Like