Substance Free Floors or not....

<p>Hi. Just about to send deposit and although DS says he abstains, I am wondering how strict these floors are...can you go to a party and drink one beer and then come back to your room? Is someone smelling breathe here?
Is this all about not ending up with a roommate who stumbles in drunk at 3:00am?
He'd like to be with nice kids who don't go party every single night, but rather find things to do on campus. He does not have an endless budget and will be there on a merit scholarship, so grades are very important. What do you advise?</p>

<p>I recently spoke to a mom whose S is a freshman at UM. He is a non-drinker who went to a party and drank and got caught (I don't know how). He got referred, had to pay a fine and take a substance education class. Sounds like the university is strict towards students who get caught. I have no idea where this student lives.</p>

<p>My friend is a freshman, doesn't drink at all, and loves the substance-free floors. He says there's a lot of great people and lot of fun. </p>

<p>That said, UM as a whole IS very strict about drinking. If a room is suspicious, all liquids in that room are checked by the RA---even waterbottles, milk bottles, etc.</p>

<p>hmmm...very interesting responses, any more please???</p>

<p>I thought it was semi-partyish?</p>

<p>I'm confused... are you talking about only the Substance Free Floors?</p>