Suggestions on Scheduling Classes (Timings)

<p>So, as a freshman I have no clue how much time it take to go from class to class. lunch time? etc. So, can you guys share with me how to schedule, say 5, classes throughout the week (how much I need to leave for lunch? time between classes? free time? etc.).</p>

<p>Say, I enroll in these 5 classes for fall semester:
- Multivariable Calculus
- EngE
- CS Data Structures 2114
- CLE
- Eng 1106
- (Possible CS seminar - I think it is good to lean about fairs and stuff early on. Plus, there no tests/studying to do anway)</p>

<p>I know it depends on class availability. But, I just want some general tips here for better managing time.</p>

<p>Some like to try to schedule all classes in mornings, others afternoon. It is personal preference and really is driven by availability.</p>

<p>My first semester at Tech I tried to make sure I had some free time in between my classes, so I ended up with classes Monday-Friday. I would say the benefit was that I had the time in between classes to study, do homework, grab food, or even just relax. I didn’t mind this schedule at all. However, my second semester I took a different route and decided to schedule all my classes Tuesday and Thursday (except for a Chemistry Lab on Wednesday). With this schedule I had classes all day on Tuesday and Thursday, though still a break for food. It made for really long days I have to admit because 5 classes in one day is indeed hard. However, it was really nice to have my Mondays and Fridays completely off. I actually ended up using my days off to volunteer in a lab and gain experience, but it would also give you an extended weekend or more time to complete assignments. </p>

<p>So moral of the story, it is going to depend on personal preference. I have done both and I think that I have grown to appreciate jamming as many classes in as little days as possible more than spreading them out. I enjoy having the extra days off. BUT, this is not for everyone. I can however suggest that you look at the map as you are scheduling. If you have one class on one side of campus and then a class all the way on the other side of campus 15 minutes later, I suggest trying to change that if possible. Last semester I had a class in Engel Hall and had to make it all the way in Surge in 15 minutes. It was not possible, and I ended up talking with my teacher and letting her know I was likely to be a few minutes late every day, which isn’t the best if you want a good seat. I know as a freshman you are really limited, especially with a lot of people already registered for classes, but work with what you can and don’t make it harder on yourself than it needs to be. If you’re going to be ambitious and schedule far away classes back to back… have access to a bike.</p>

<p>Don’t schedule more than 2 Tuesday/Thursday classes if you can at all avoid it. Those classes are longer and you’ll be exhausted by the end of the day.</p>

<p>15 minutes is generally enough time to get from one class to another, but if the classes are on opposite sides of campus or the first one runs over it can be a pain.</p>

<p>My preference when I was in college was to have about an hour between classes. That gave me time to go to the study hall or library and work on homework. When I lived on campus it wasn’t as big of a deal, but when I moved off campus having a longer gap than an hour and a half or so made it too tempting to waste a half hour of my day walking back to my apartment and then back to campus.</p>

<p>While it varies by person there is a sweet spot between about 10am and 2pm that works the best for most people. 8am classes are much harder to wake up for than they were in high school, and being stuck in class after 4 is actually really, really annoying.</p>

<p>@chuy do you know if CS major (class of 2018) are still required to take linear and vector geometry?</p>

<p>Sorry, no clue. I graduated in 2010.</p>