SUMaC 2022

Hello! I wanted to create a thread for people who are applying to SUMaC! If anyone has attended it before, please let me know how it is and how hard it is to get in. I have been competing in math competitions since 3rd grade and I’m a sophomore. I don’t have any achievements in AMC 10 or AMC 12 though. I am taking Calculus right now. Do you think I have a chance? Thanks in advance!

What really matters is your answers to the admission test. Your previous experience in AMC isn’t gonna help a lot though. I am also a sophomore applying for sumac this year and I have AMC10 DHR and AMC8 DHR and scored 135 in ACM10B this fall, so your competitive math experience isn’t very appealing.

Your experience in Calculus is really helpful for admission as the whole program is about advanced mathematics, I am taking AP Calc AB this year.

cool! thanks :slight_smile:

What are the general topics needed to work through the admissions test? I’m a bit stuck on how to approach questions 6-8.

Hello, I applied too, and I was wondering if I have a chance of getting in.I also did the application in last week before the deadline. I do math and programming Olympiads. I participated in the International Olympiad In Informatics 2021, won a bronze medal in the Junior Balkan Olympiad in Informatics, bronze in the National Mathematical Olympiad, X2 times winner of the National Olympiad in Informatics , bronze in the European Mathematical Cup…+ many other international Olympiads from a young age. I have also working experience in 2 companies and start-ups and also as a coach training kids for olympiads and adults for coding interviews.I also am a very active athlete as I have won many gold medals in long distance running races (5km,10km) and in kayaking too. I’ve got 19.8/20.0 GPA and im an international student from Greece. I solved all the problems in the admission exam although in 8 b) and 8 c) I didn’t have time to write the cases in the official solution I submitted so I think it will cost me since I wrote something like e.g taking into consideration the previous colorings from 8 a) and using the above observations then we can take all possible cases and the answer is 68 … smth like that. I also wrote a lot about my passion with CS and algorithms but math too. My essays weren’t perfect. I am wondering if I have a chance of getting in as a 10th grader international and also how did you guys do?

When does the result coming out? Thanks

The results come out in May.

Hello there! Applicant from the UK here!

Quick conclusions after reading all the threads on SUMaC:

• Unsurprisingly, the application paper decides it all, but apparently, people get in with 2-3 questions wrong. You can also not complete a couple of them but still get in, but if you could finish all of them with decent solutions(and make at least two weeks of effort), you should have a good chance of getting in. Though I wrote solutions for all of the questions, I 1)did not write 30+ pages like some people who got in did, but I think that depends on the questions 2) checked with the answers someone posted online and got three wrong.
  • Apparently, it is essential to talk about CS in your essays if you pick program one, but many accepted applicants talked about Maths research and Uni & advanced mathematics. I would have no idea if they did graded courses on Linear Algebra or group theory. Still, as an international applicant, I cannot fill in any graded courses except for my GCSEs.
  • Having done Calculus seems essential as well

Now I have a question. I see all these people with correct, complete solutions and then realize they are Seniors/Juniors(Yr 12 & 13 in the UK), higher year levels than me(Yr 10/Sophomore???). So will they have lower expectations for Sophomores? Or they do not take grade level/age into account?

Answers to questions 6-8:
6) 2 7b) 9 8b) 6 8c) 68

Do any of you know what day the results come out?

it was mid May last year I think

Any one received anything yet?

nope

I got into program 2!

Congratulations! When is the deadline to accept the offer?

May 26

Thanks for sharing. Are you planning to go?

Yup

did u get in ?

yes i got in!!!

1 Like

cool even I got in
did u get into program one or two

1 Like