Summer 2013

<p>Hey everyone! I am a nursing major and am considering taking classes over the summer at UA. The CCN recommends we take BSC 215 over the summer and my local community college does not have a class equivalent to it. Has anyone had any experience with this? I can’t find that much information on it. How many hours is it recommended you take over the summer? So if anyone could help me out, I’d appreciate it!</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Have you checked to see is other CCs in your area offer it?</p>

<p>Are you instate or OOS? If OOS, what state are you from?</p>

<p>I’m from Illinois and I checked a few in the area around me. I’m just exploring options right now and also am scheduled to speak with an advisor this week who will help too. I was just wanting to kind of have an idea of what options I have.</p>

<p>Melissa,</p>

<p>Are you currently at the UA? Are you a freshman or a transfer student? Which classes have you taken and how have your grades been, specifically in science? Are you familiar with promotion policies for nursing students and if so, have you set a goal of when you would like to be eligible to apply? Have you made arrangements to speak with an advisor within the School of Nursing at the UA? This information would be helpful in formulating a response to your questions.</p>

<p>taking summer school at UA as an OOS student is pretty costly. idk what BSC 215 is, but i would look harder for it being offered in your area. can you find something else to take a summer school at home and save the BSC class for the fall (or whenever).</p>

<p>Melissa… hey there…hope all is going well :). My DD spent last summer at UA taking a chem class that she needed for her nutrition major. She lived with her sorority sister who was taking nursing classes. If you want to talk with her about her experience pm me and I will give you her email and cell#.</p>

<p>I am a freshman at UA. So far I am in CH 104, which has been a cake walk since I took it in high school. I could’ve passed out of it, but the AP credit didn’t cover CH 105 which is only offered in spring. I’m really striving to get promoted in summer of 2014, which is why I’d have to get it done this summer. I spoke with my nursing advisor about it and it was recommended to take it over the summer or else the spring of my sophomore year I’d be taking two biology classes (BSC 216 and BSC 242) each with a lab. Especially with summer promotion being so competitive (avg. gpa last summer was 3.94), I’d hate to fall behind.</p>

<p>After talking with her, it seems like my only options are to take it over the summer at UA, take it at a local community college (which I’m still researching, but so far no luck), or take a different core credit over the summer and take the minimum of 12 hours that spring with the two bio classes.</p>

<p>sending you a PM</p>

<p>Since taking a summer class as an OOS student can be very expensive, I would try to do the following:</p>

<p>Look at what you’re supposed to take NEXT fall and see if ONE or two of THOSE classes are offered at your local CC. If so, take one or two of THOSE, and take BSC next fall.</p>

<p>It would be easier to take BSC216 in the summer and pick up BSC215 in the fall because of the number of seats generally available. That’s what nursing usually tells students to do. I am not a nursing advisor, so listen to what your advisor tells you because they know best. Since nursing at the UA is super competitive, you want to protect your GPA while completing the requirements to apply for promotion…especially summer promotion. You don’t want to find yourself unable to pick up a required science class because of the limited number of seats available when you need one. And as with most majors, there are weeder classes as you progress through the required science sequence.</p>

<p>Try expanding your search to within a manageable distance from your home. My daughter drove a considerable distance to class every day during the summer. If you simply cannot find a way to take BSC216 at home, it might be possible to pick up the class at Shelton State for less than the UA over the summer.</p>

<p>I cannot stress this enough…consider what I have told you as well as others, but first and foremost you should listen to your advisor. Good luck, Melissa.</p>

<p>My D called last night to tell me the summer “required” Engineering class is also offered in Copenhagen, and that her professor said the “cost” is equivalent to taking the class at UA.</p>

<p>LOL- thanks professor, she is already pricing flights.</p>

<p>That’s awesome!</p>

<p>Sniner…</p>

<p>Yes, my son said that a number of OOS Chem E students opted for the Copenhagen option because of that. A nice change of pace. Some extended their time (either before/after or both) to do some regional touring as well.</p>

<p>So far, it looks like I may be taking it about 50 mins away, which I still have not even heard back if they offer it in the summer. I have ANOTHER meeting with my advisor, who has a few other options for me to consider, but thank you everyone for your input. It’s just really stressful trying to figure all this out and coordinate the logistics of it all! I was also hoping to have a job/ internship this summer, but I don’t know if I could pull off doing both.</p>

<p>Summer classes I wouldn’t recommend more than 6 hrs at a time.</p>