Summer Classes and Linear Algebra?

<p>Hey, I'm an incoming freshman at VT, but I'll be taking classes during Summer Session II.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me, in general, what to expect (in terms of academics) at Tech? Are summer classes usually harder?</p>

<p>These are the classes I'm taking: Linear Algebra and Introduction to Landscape Architecture.</p>

<p>Does anyone know about the difficulty of these classes or the professors (Steven Boyce = linear algebra)?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Linear Algebra is typically online. If it is, you won’t be dealing with the professor much. To be honest, Linear Algebra wasn’t that hard; I took it last Fall. There was a quiz every week and a test every 4-5 weeks that covered a decent amount of material. As for taking that course in a summer session, it could be very time consuming. I would guess an online quiz every 2-3 days; test every week and a half.</p>

<p>As for the other course, I’ve never taken it. I know nothing about it or the professors that teach it.</p>

<p>what’s your major?</p>

<p>I never took a summer class but I know a lot of people that did. They are faster paced but I never heard anyone refer to them as harder. Most people found them a bit easier since they were only focusing on one (two) classes and there weren’t as many distractions around.</p>

<p>Linear Algebra doesn’t really have a professor, as James mentioned. You meet the professor once for orientation but other than that you just do lessons, take quizzes and take tests on the computers at the Math Empo. The Math Empo is a giant room full of computers and math tutors that is located at the Alumni Mall right off campus. You can do the lessons from home but a lot of people just do them at the empo and do the quiz/test right afterward. You can get as far ahead as you want and finish the whole class off in a couple weeks, which I strongly suggest since you can then spend your time on your other class or just enjoying Blacksburg during the summer.</p>

<p>I have no idea about your second class.</p>

<p>hokagesama,</p>

<p>I’m still in general engineering, but will propably do civil or materials science</p>

<p>Oh hey, I was materials science. Let me know if you have any questions about it.</p>

<p>That’s awesome chuy!</p>

<p>My sister is doing Materials Science…but at Boise State (we live in Idaho).</p>

<p>Since I’ve only taken two summer classes and I’m still a freshman, the only thing I’m worried about now is the courseload difficulty of say 15 credits. If you have any tips for academic success and studying, that would be awesome!</p>

<p>15 is normal and won’t be that bad, depending on what they are. As far as studying goes, do it with other people. You’ll learn a lot more, even if you’re the smartest person in the group. Also start off by going to every class. Eventually you’ll figure out the ones that you can skip every once and a while, but you really don’t get a good feel of that for a little while. </p>

<p>Also, doing summer classes before your freshman year is fine but don’t count on doing them in later years. You’re going to want to have summers open for internships, if not after freshman year then at least for after sophomore and junior years.</p>