Summer Classes for High School Students

<p>My D2 is a high school sophomore. Colorado College offers summer classes to high school students. She's probably most interested in the 100 level Anthropology class. Does anyone have experience with this program? It looks like students attend the 3 1/2 week classes along with undergrads. I assume they live in the dorms. Are they chaperoned, or expect to function in the college world as a 16 year old? Many more questions....</p>

<p>I know I can contact CC to get more info, but was hoping to find someone who's done this to give an objective opinion.</p>

<p>I did this program last summer and LOVED it. I took a fiction writing class block A and it was a great way to start my summer. I was on the Southwest High School Scholarship as well, so it was all free! The high school students live in their own dorm, apart from the normal undergrads. We all got along really well and I'm still in touch with several of the people from the program. </p>

<p>Three college students serve as "program assistants" and live with the high school students. They're always around to help the students with whatever they might need and they plan activities and events. It's kind of weird because they're only a couple years older than the high schoolers. I've heard that they've even had trouble in the past with PAs BUYING the kids drinks. But my PAs were very responsible and helpful. I'm still in touch with one of them, and in fact she's coming to see my high school musical this weekend! </p>

<p>My only complaint with this program was the lack of freedom. Of course they have to set rules, but it can get old, fast being stuck in just that one area of Colorado Springs. High School students are allowed to walk downtown on their own as long as they check with a PA, but that gets old after a while. </p>

<p>Overall, it's a great educational experience and I highly recommend it. If you have any questions just PM me.</p>

<p>Thanks for this great info, Blindkite. Do you think after soph year is too young? Was the the rigor of the class somewhat like an AP? Did the PA's plan weekend stuff for you, or were you expected to entertain yourselves during the weekend? My D2 is a bigtime rockclimber: would she have access to the indoor climbing wall/gym, and any chance to do hikes/climbs on the weekends? Was the course graded, or an evaluation written? Did you end up with college credit, or just do it for the experience/check out CC?</p>

<p>The things you've said sound very encouraging. I'm thinking about having her go next summer, though, after her Junior year. Does that seem more reasonable?</p>

<p>Also, we've chatted on the Yale forum. My D1 will be there in the fall....
Small world...</p>

<p>I think most people do it after their junior year. However, CC does have another program for sophomores. I can't remember what it's called, and I'm not sure they take real classes with undergrad students. I know they choose from two classes and get pre-college advice, etc. I didn't do this program. I suggest she do this and/or take a normal class next year. </p>

<p>For the program I did, classes varied in rigor. Everyone usually had a lot to do after their class, though. I took a fiction writing class and usually spent two or three (or more) hours outside of class doing critics of other students' writing, reading short stories, and writing my own stories. The students who took more "serious" classes sometimes had eighty pages of reading a night. It wasn't unreasonable, though. And it wasn't completely carefree. I'm not sure you can compare it to an AP class simply because of the nature of the block plan. The rigor depends completely on the class your daughter chooses to take. </p>

<p>High schoolers take the class as if they were normal undergrads and are treated as such. You can choose to take the class for a letter grade or pass/fail. And yes, these classes can be used for college credit, as long as the school accepts them.</p>

<p>Your daughter would have access to all CC facilities, including the climbing wall. PAs plan weekend events. We went to garden of the gods, had the option of attending a sky socks (is that the name?) game, could see a movie, etc. We planned (with our PAs' help) themed dance parties and other events. High school students are not allowed to drive or get in anyone's car (except their parents) so unless a hike was planned this wouldn't really be possible.</p>

<p>Thanks again, blindkite.<br>
I'm ready to contact CC to see what they offer sophomores. I'm thinking she'll be alot more interested in the college level academic program after Junior year.</p>

<p>summer after junior year is the way to go.</p>