Summer classes

<p>Son on presidential scholarship. How does that work if want to take summer classes at Bama? Would that summer semester be considered 1 of 8 covered under scholarship? Or just class(es) taken in summer be covered under total semester hours covered under presidential scholarship? </p>

<p>Summer is considered a separate semester, so you probably don’t want to use your scholarship for that, unless it will advance his degree progress enough to warrant it (i.e., graduating a semester early).</p>

<p>For OOS students, it’s often a lot cheaper to take summer classes at a school in their home state and transfer them to UA. Unless they want to use a semester of their scholarship, $1000 per credit at UA adds up quickly compared to living at home and paying $75-$300 per credit. Especially for 100/200 level courses, there are many students who didn’t take those at UA and go on to take further courses in that subject at UA. </p>

<p>Another option: I’ve been looking for options for S to take a couple summer classes and found that Iowa State offers a lot of courses fully online and they only charge the resident tuition rate for online students. So S can take those classes and then choose whether to spend the summer at his apartment in Tuscaloosa or back at home. Having him speak to someone next week to ensure the classes will transfer to UA without any issue, but they have the same course numbers as the on campus courses that appear in the transfer equivalency table, so I’m hoping it’s an option.</p>

<p>Jrcsmom, This sounds like a great option! Please let us know what you find out. </p>

<p>Talk to Seatide. He went to summer school in Vegas. Tough life.</p>

<p>I took 2 classes in Reno on a campus which looked like a smaller version of UA. The total cost for tuition, fees, books, housing, food, and airfare was $2100 for 5 weeks. The weather was great, there were lots of festivals, and if one has a car, Lake Tahoe is an excellent place to spend the weekend.</p>

<p>I highly recommend having a domestic study abroad, especially if one can’t find time to do an international study abroad. </p>

<p>To find courses at another university which will transfer to UA, visit <a href=“Transfer Credit Equivalency Home Page”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>“Domestic study abroad” - I like that idea! Wonder if we can fit that in?</p>

<p>Do you think the NMF stipend would cover this?</p>

<p>I’d imagine that UA would allow use of the NMF stipend to cover tuition and housing at other institutions regardless of the country the student is taking the courses. Many study abroad programs are actually courses taught by a university located primarily in the US.</p>

<p>FYI -</p>

<p>The online courses via Iowa State are an option. From email from the registrar’s office: “In response to your first question, the answer is no. It makes no difference whether the course is online or distance learning. As long as the course number and description is the same, it makes no difference to us how the course is delivered.” </p>

<p>Here is their list of summer courses offered online - <a href=“http://classes.iastate.edu/soc.jsp?term=12014&dept=&term2=12014&dept2=&course=&shour=06&sminute=00&sampm=am&ehour=11&eminute=55&eampm=pm&credit=+&instructor=&title=&edreq=&spclcourse=WWW&partterm=2006-01-012006-12-31&smonth=01&sday=01&emonth=12&eday=31”>http://classes.iastate.edu/soc.jsp?term=12014&dept=&term2=12014&dept2=&course=&shour=06&sminute=00&sampm=am&ehour=11&eminute=55&eampm=pm&credit=+&instructor=&title=&edreq=&spclcourse=WWW&partterm=2006-01-012006-12-31&smonth=01&sday=01&emonth=12&eday=31&lt;/a&gt; They would need to be checked to see if they have an equivalent UA course. For the courses that have a delivery fee, it is charged in addition to the resident tutition rate for the number of credits.</p>