Summer Federal Work-Study

Can anyone tell me if students are eligible for federal work-study over the summer, assuming they were eligible during the school year?

If so, are there limits or can they work a full 40-hour week?

Paging @kelsmom , as she is the expert on all of this (:slight_smile:)

Thanks!

Yes, they can be eligible. I’m not sure if this is school specific, but in our case there was a $ limit on the total amount that could be earned during the summer period. It didn’t matter how many hours/week you worked, but once you hit the $ limit that was it for work study. Beyond that, the employer would be picking up the full price of employing the student.

It depends on the school and the school’s policies. If the school has funds available to be used for work during summer (not all do - they may use it up during the academic year), they may allow summer FWS jobs. The student has to be enrolled for the following semester (they can’t be spring graduates who want to work the summer following graduation). They also have to have room in their financial aid budget to allow for the FWS earnings - remember, the student has to have financial need in order to get FWS.

1 Like

Thank you. Both of those apply!

Do you know if the federal government sets a limit on how much work-study can be earned over the summer – either in number of hours or actual dollar amount – or is that determined by the school?

Thank you Do you know who set the $ limit? Was it the school or the government?

That’s determined by the school. And often, if the student earns up to the award amount, a department will begin paying them from their own budget (non-FWS). But again, there has to be room in the student’s financial aid budget for whatever FWS award is given, and it’s need based. So if need has been met through other aid, there can’t be any FWS.

Thank you! I also sent you a DM. :slight_smile:

1 Like