Summer opportunities at Bama

<p>Thank you Sea_Tide. I will tell her about the opportunity. I looked at some of last year’s REUs, very exciting.</p>

<p>Do you know when the updated list for REUs will be out? Was it Jan/Feb? Do you need recommendations?</p>

<p>Thanks to omama regarding looking for a job on the UA job board. Where is it located?</p>

<p>I think the job board may be in The Ferg, but others might know better.</p>

<p>Your D could also ask around at various businesses near/on The Strip if they will be hiring for the summer when many of their student employees will be leaving. The area still needs employees because Bama is busy in the summer as well…with BB, hs cheer camps, hs band camps, REU kids, summer school kids, etc. </p>

<p>The REU list could be updated anytime within the next few months because the apps are due in late winter/early spring. Yes…LORs are needed (sometimes 2 per LOR app), so your student needs to think about who she might ask.</p>

<p>The job board I checked was on mybama. They have on campus and off campus jobs. They also have summer opportunities…all over the US!</p>

<p>I also would check the UA Staff page, they have a specific page for students.</p>

<p>I would also tell any student to ask there department of any summer opportunities.</p>

<p>Avanti applications are due Oct.10th.
Parent Association Oct. 6th or 7th.</p>

<p>Both require training spring semester and would be excellent leadership oppertunities!</p>

<p>*I would also tell any student to ask their department of any summer opportunities. *</p>

<p>Yes…if you have a prof who has a lab or is doing research, ask if he/she has any opportunities.</p>

<p>Some foreign-born profs like to pay students to do copy-editing for their writings since some have grammar, etc, issues.</p>

<p>Wow, thanks for these on campus job tips.</p>

<p>omama: Thank you for the info on the job board. My D has a lot to think about.</p>

<p>Look into being a counselor for the Capstone Summer Honors Program. The program allows high school juniors/seniors to attend UA and take classes for one summer term. As a counselor you live in the dorms (Ridgecrest) with the students. You just have to make sure the students are in the dorm by curfew, plan a few activities with the other counselors for them (game night, movie night, etc), and serve as pseudo-RA. I say pseudo because there are actual summer RAs in the dorms. Anyway, you get to live in the dorm for free for that session and you get a small stipend. I believe they have lowered the stipend but when I did it summer 2009 it was enough to pay for one summer class. Also, the responsibilities are really minimal and I actually was able to take a class and still continue to work part time with my research that I did throughout the school year. The Honors College runs the program but I am not sure if being in the Honors College is a requirement to be a counselor.</p>

<p>What is Avanti? Can you tell I didn’t go to Parent orientation?</p>

<p>Avantis are student orientation leaders, while Parent Ambassadors lead parent orientation and other events throughout the year.</p>

<p>9 days until the 2012 Avanti Team Application is due! Remember to have at least 1 reference that is a member of the UA faculty. Good Luck!</p>

<p>The current discussion on the Oxford summer program prompted me to bump this thread up and mention the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Undergraduate Research program as an on-campus opportunity for any Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, or Chemical & Biological Engineering majors considering UA for next year and for those already at UA who will be sophomore’s next year. The program has several features, including the opportunity to earn around $4000 while doing research at UA over the summer and to present your research at an end of summer symposium. Here is link to the main HHMI UA website: [HHMI</a> Alabama](<a href=“http://bama.ua.edu/~chytrid/Hughes/HHMI.html]HHMI”>http://bama.ua.edu/~chytrid/Hughes/HHMI.html)</p>

<p>D is currently in the HHMI program as a Freshman and is loving it so far.</p>

<p>^Son is also a freshman HHMI undergrad researcher and really appreciates the opportunities it offers. He found out Monday that the program also provides housing for the summer while they are doing research. It’s wonderful that UA can offer such a grat program to it’s students.</p>

<p>My son, a freshman from the Chicago area, was selected as a member of the Avanti team last fall. He absolutely loves all the members of the team and has weekly training sessions. They also went on a short weekend trip over spring break. He has learned so much about BAMA and loves the school even more than he did when he started (which I thought could not be possible!)
He does get paid to be an Avanti, but also has a job “catering”…
Roll Tide! It’s A-Game today!!</p>

<p>randomparent: is the HHMI for rising Bama freshman and rising sophomores, or for current Bama freshman and current Bama sophomores?</p>

<p>seekingknowledge, Current students. Our son applied this fall as a current freshman. As I understand it, the program starts during the spring semester, carries into the summer for the research portion, and then finishes in the fall semester, with an option to perform research again the following summer.</p>

<p>Shamrockdad: Congratulations to your D. Excellent opportunity.</p>

<p>ChiTown: Congratulations to your S. I met some of the Avanti team members last year while at BB with my D. So personable, knowledgeable and friendly. </p>

<p>Randomparent: Congratulations to your S. A year long research project is sweet.</p>