Summer program for future history major

Anyone know of an affordable summer program for future history majors? So many seem geared towards STEM or are 5k. Maybe what I’m looking for doesn’t exist but hopefully…

Many summer programs have online options which can make them more affordable. Have you looked at Summer@Brown? They have a huge selection of courses.

check out the NIAHD program. it is fabulous.

2 Likes

William and Mary has a good, long-running program. I’m not sure about costs. Pre-College Program in American History | William & Mary

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Brown is 2500+ for online one week course. That’s their cheapest option. Not sure I can justify that much for sitting in my kitchen. Looking hopefully for a good experience without breaking the bank. If it comes down to it might just take a community college course for less.

The W&M one is the same as the NIAID one- waiting to see cost because it’s not posted yet. I just can’t spend 5k no matter how great a course is …but hopeful there’s cheap, cheaper options out there.

Thanks!

1 Like

What is your goal for the summer program?

A paid program isn’t typically useful for admissions purposes, so if are looking for ways to strengthen an application there a ton of options that are more beneficial…and free.

If the purpose is to figure out if your child actually wants to pursue history or wants to get an experience on a college campus, then maybe a program at a smaller college local to you would be more affordable.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what we are looking for…an interesting history experience. I know that might not be realistic though for less than 5k. Would consider vany option-not looking for prestige mames just want to get hands on experience if possible.

A much cheaper alternative is courses through edX (I think it’s free, unless you want a certificate of completion in which case it’s 50 dollars):

My kids have taken edX courses and enjoyed them. They recommend paying for the certificate if you can, because it helps you stay on track, which is difficult to do with this style of teaching/learning (I mean the massive online courses).

I would also recommend reading over the summer. Depending on your areas of interest there are great books that you can find at the library or buy.

I don’t know much about in person opportunities. Is there a local historical society to you? You might try contacting them to inquire about projects they might be working on.

1 Like

The summer part isn’t guaranteed, but the final stage of the National History Day contest each year is a week at the U of Maryland in June, for those who qualify, and the preceding stages of the competition during the school year are worthwhile too https://www.nhd.org/

3 Likes

Has she looked into working at or doing a project with a local historical society, creating something like a guided/podcasted historical walking tour of your town for the chamber of commerce, or even delving into a family genealogy project?

Those kinds of self-directed activities would give her real history exposure and an interesting and unique activity that shows history interest for her application. Plus, they would require very little money.

4 Likes