Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>If you attended a summer program, for example Summer@Brown, where would you place it on the common app or how would you mention that you attended it? i know it doesnt count for much, but i still want to put it on my application to emphasize my interests in a certain subject matter.</p>

<p>If you attended a summer program, for example Summer@Brown, where would you place it on the common app or how would you mention that you attended it? i know it doesnt count for much, but i still want to put it on my application to emphasize my interests in a certain subject matter.</p>

<p>The Common Application asks what you did in the summer, so that's easy.</p>

<p>Actually, Common App allows you to put summer activities under ECs... if you have enough school-year ECs to fill up those boxes, you're on your own.
I put a summer activities sheet in the "additional information" section.</p>

1 Like

<p>thank you so much! i forgot that common app has a place to check summer on the EC page :P</p>

<p>Hi, I'm a rising junior, obviously also on a summer program hunt.
I guess I'm your stereotypical Asian, being on the math team, Mock Trial team, Science Olympiad team...etc, with interests mostly in math and science.</p>

<p>I have scoped out most of my math programs to apply to, but I would like some suggestions for some places to do scientific research that would help in competing in science fairs. I live in Maryland, very close to NIH, but the problem is, I lack citizenship and a green card, so I can't do anything there...What are some other good places?</p>

<p>Thanks for your input!</p>

<p>Why is TASP "prestigious"?</p>

<p>Scratch the above -- </p>

<p>Are there any prestigious debate SPs out there?</p>

<p>All the aforementioned camps are basically revolving around math or science. Are there any more prestigious camps along the lines of TASP around, which dont center on math or science(possible poli. sci., or debate, or law).</p>

<p>Stanford is good for debate. I am heavily considering going this summer.(If my partner joins me)</p>

<p>Who might have a list of "prestigious" debate camps out there? </p>

<p>Who agrees with the below list?: </p>

<p>Best Policy debate camps:
First tier:
Dartmouth Debate Institute(senior lab only)
Umich 7 week
Kentucky Fellows</p>

<p>second tier:
Umich classic
Northwestern(Z's, coon)
UT camps
Stanford(although there is one lab at stanford that is first tier for sure)
Miami Ohio
Capital Classic(DC)
Michigan State</p>

<p>How about PF Debate camps? (Unless the kritik stressed in policy applies to PFD as well) </p>

<p>Thanks ;)</p>

<p>The Princeton University Summer Journalism Program is a COMPLETELY FREE, selective program. </p>

<p>PLEASE NOTE -- THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 20, 2009 (11:59 PM) </p>

<p>Please visit Summer</a> Journalism Program: The Princeton University Summer Journalism Program for the application.</p>

<p>TASP is considered prestigious because it tends to explore complex theory in extremely unique (and strange) subject areas, like one of this year's seminar descriptions:</p>

<p>"A great deal of emphasis is placed today on interdisciplinary practices whenever we undertake advanced work in the humanities and sciences. But what does this interdisciplinarity mean, and how can it be applied? In this seminar, we will examine outstanding examples of interdisciplinary thinking from the ancient world to the present and consider how science, philosophy, and the arts have complemented and complicated each other in a variety of cultural and historical contexts. From Lucretius’s pre-Christian verse treatise on atomic physics to Albert Einstein’s reflections on the consequences of relativity; from eighteenth century epics about evolution by Erasmus Darwin (grandfather of Charles) to the recent poems they have inspired; from Karel Capek’s 1921 play R.U.R., which introduced the word “robot,” to contemporary debates about artificial life, we will examine how the recent resurgence of interdisciplinary thinking in the academy represents less a new development than a return to foundational methods."</p>

<p>I've been told that TASP offers challenges and styles of thinking not often found in college. As a former TASPer myself, I can believe that. The Ivy League and other highly ranked schools are also extremely fond of the kind of thinker that the Telluride Association selects for TASP and are eager to accept them. (TASP and House alumni include Paul Wolfowitz, Francis ***uyama, Steven Weinberg, etc according to Wikipedia, but I was told by a more informed source once that three of the last five World Bank presidents have been former TASPers.)</p>

<p>Oh no. </p>

<p>If I follow the "in my sophomore year, I'll go to science research internships because I like my current science research project, and I'm going to go to a debate camp because I love debate and want to improve my skills" </p>

<p>Would that "go against" me during college apps? </p>

<p>*'going against me' includes the case where selective top-notch colleges mostly only accept students who have done something prestigious during their sophomore year. </p>

<p>THANK YOU. This is the question that has been gnawing at me like...forever. </p>

<p>If it goes against me, I don't really care. But I just want it off my thoughts, one way or the other :).</p>

<p>This summer camp thing is something I am exploring for my sophomore son. What is MOSP, RSI, TASP, PROMYS, etc.? My son is extremely gifted in Math---finished 6thi n the state competition last year, but don't know anything about these programs. Can you tell me about them or give me some websites to explore. Thanks--------</p>

<p>Summer</a> Math Camps and Programs for High School Students </p>

<p>I'll put in a good word for Ross </p>

<p>The</a> Ross Program </p>

<p>as a good summer math program. Qualification is by a take-home qualification test. Do that slowly and thoroughly. I know one of the junior counselors just named to the Ross 2009 staff, and I expect the program to have a good year and a somewhat smaller enrollment than last year.</p>

<p>Just about any summer activity can be spun into a "how my summer xxx affected who I am" college admission essay. Ex: Comments on life gained from a summer as town grave digger; minimum wage adult priorities/conversations in a hospital kitchen. </p>

<p>I wonder if enrollment in super-prestigious programs since birth really sayes "hyper-parent is programming this kid - who will fall apart once he is on his own." </p>

<p>Apply, but if you don't get in, look for other programs/jobs/growth activities that will differentiate you on college aps. "I did more math over the summer" might not be it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I wonder if enrollment in super-prestigious programs since birth really sayes "hyper-parent is programming this kid - who will fall apart once he is on his own.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The behavior of colleges admitting applicants suggests that colleges don't think this.</p>

<p>Being a Senate or U.S. House page will look great on an application. It also shows independence Page</a> Program, U.S. House of Representatives</p>

<p>Does anyone have any prior experience with the YESS program at Caltech? I understand it's extremely selective (they only accept 30/500 kids), but does that make it prestigious? Is it good anyhow? </p>

<p>Also, does anyone know of any math/science programs whose deadlines HAVEN'T passed yet? That'd be sweet.</p>

<p>Any good programs for current college students?</p>