Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>While still in HS, has anyone done a summer language immersion program either here in the states or abroad?</p>

<p>@blackbelt, thereā€™s a very helpful TASP thread on this forum that can answer any questions you have. But donā€™t force your essay to be something itā€™s not.</p>

<p>@jerzgrlmom, there are a few good immersion camps. Thereā€™s one in Minnesota (Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s called) thatā€™s well known, as well as ones at Middlebury College.</p>

<p>@blackbelt, Iā€™m in the identical situation. Iā€™m putting down my deposit at CTY and in the rare event that I do get accepted to TASP I figure Iā€™ll just essentially pay 1,000$ for a program worth 8k.</p>

<p>I think Iā€™ll try the creative writing summer program. I need to do a couple of these. One each year, more if possible.</p>

<p>I donā€™t know how many of the programs listed out before me are free or cost money butā€¦ a lot of time free programs can look good on your application too. I mostly only know business oriented ones because I was focused on business/accounting. </p>

<p>ALL THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS ARE FREE: </p>

<ul>
<li><p>**University of Pennsylvania Summer Mentorship Program<a href=ā€œallowed%20to%20apply%20to%201%20of%208%20fields:%20medicine,%20IT/engineering,%20nursing,%20veterinarian,%20law,%20education,%20dentistry,%20architectureā€>/b</a> However this one is only for sophomores and juniors in Philadelphia. I did medicine - had free lunch at Houston Hall every day, free doctor jacket with lasered name tag, Penn gear/freebies, talked with a number of HUP/CHOP doctors and Penn employees who can easily speak with adcoms, saw a live surgery, did some rock climbing and other fun team activities, and got a $400 stipend.</p></li>
<li><p>Accounting Career Awareness Program (ACAP): One week long sleepover program where you have to take on a case as accounting consultants. Was an absolutely amazing experience. ACAP has posts all over the USA. Itā€™s geared toward minorities, but Caucasians can apply too. We got to visit PricewaterhouseCoopers and Deloitte as a trip.</p></li>
<li><p>Bryant University Institute of Leadership Development (BUILD): One week sleepover program. You learn about business, teamwork, and form marketing teams to compete against other groups. I found it pretty fun. Geared towards minorities and females and takes place at Bryant U in Rhode Island. Got to go on a nice cruise at Newport to have a banquet/dance party.</p></li>
<li><p>PricewaterhouseCoopers Accounting Careers Leadership Institute: Learn accounting from Bryant U professors/staff and get in touch with PwC employees. I think they get a trip to the Boston branch of PwC as well. It takes place in Bryant U in RI as well, but theyā€™re pretty stringent on the African American and Hispanics applicants only rule. I wasnā€™t allowed to apply, and they switched me over to the BUILD program.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>I have a question. Are there any Medical Summer Programs out there? that look good on APPS?</p>

<p>Vanderbilt has a course that sounds pretty good. But Iā€™m pretty sure it has to be done through Vanderbiltā€™s gifted program not their precollege program.</p>

<p>Jerzgrlmom, Concordia Language Villages in Minnesota are fabulous immersion camps. One of my daughters went to Finnish camp for several years (including 2 years of high school credit), and the other went to French camp for a few years. PM me if you want more info.</p>

<p>for Ivyā€™s, mit, or standford how does a program like TASS rank??</p>

<p>TASS is a well respected program, as is its for-juniors counterpart, TASP. Generally, the most programs that garner the most respect from adcoms are free and/or have a difficult admissions process.</p>

<p>if youā€™re interested in african american subjects, i.e. ā€“ correct me if iā€™m wrong. thatā€™s what i heard.</p>

<p>Can anyone recommend any good business/finance summer programs?</p>

<p>i think LEAD?</p>

<p>Yeah, I checked out LEAD. I donā€™t think I can apply though. Iā€™m not a citizen nor a permanent resident. Any other ones? :D</p>

<p>Are there any good medical summer programs out there that are reasonably priced or free? I checked out the thread on NYLF (National Youth Leadership Forum on Med) but the cost was too much and I heard the program wasnā€™t worth the money.</p>

<p>Vanderbilt Gifted Program has a medicine program and I believe itā€™s 2800 for 3 weeks. That is pretty expensive but itā€™s cheaper than the YMCA camp most kids around me go to.</p>

<p>Iā€™m applying to RSI, TASP, MITES, and possibly Clarks.
But all of these are extremely tough to get into though, so what are some possible ā€œsafetysā€ I should consider? Iā€™m looking for programs that are similar in that they at least have some prestige and arenā€™t too expensive.</p>

1 Like

<p>^ Ooh, yes. Iā€™d like to know too. Iā€™m not really into the sciencey, researchy stuff, but something TASP-like would be cool.</p>

<p>I wonder how many of these a freshman can qualify for</p>

<p>Thoughts on:
Oxbridge
Global Works
Rotary
Stagedoor
and Columbiaā€™s summer writing program. </p>

<p>After I finish junior year next year, Iā€™m hoping to spend my summer at the Yale summer sessions. Or I could apply for something else? Thoughts? I want to study Psychology or English in school.</p>