Summer Science Program 2022 (SSP)

This is a little early for SSP since applications open in December. However, I wanted to hear advice on essays as well as stats from SSP alumnis. I am a junior this year!

SSP 21 alum. My advice for essays is to highlight your other interests outside of STEM. For stats, I really don’t think they play an important role. I had 4.0 UW when i applied but no scores.

1 Like

Do you know how much importance SSP places on olympiad awards and prior research experience?

1 Like

I’m sure it would help, but it’s just one of the many ways to demonstrate a passion for science. Some people did have prior research experience. Others (like me) didn’t.

1 Like

Did you apply for Astrophysics or Bio? And for either, did you have any extracurriculars in that field?

Astrophysics. Science Bowl was my main extracurricular, which I discussed in one of my essays.

hi, Im in 10th grade and I have Not taken SAT exams yet ? So, is it gonna lower my acceptance chance ?

hellooooo

so i’m a junior and i’m thinking bout applying to ssp. i don’t know much about it, or if it will be very beneficial to me. i obv love the idea of the program, and it’s why i want to apply lmao, but i also don’t want to “waste” my summer on it if it won’t help college admissions too much and i can do independent research or something on my own instead.

any thoughts?

SSP is a fantastic program (I’ve had two kids attend), but you should really research the options offered (you can apply to Astrophysics, Biochem, or Genomics sections) and decide whether you want to do that one thing intensively for 5 1/2 weeks over your summer.

If that doesn’t sound like fun, then you should look for another option for summer. If you’d prefer to do independent research on another topic, you should do that instead. Don’t make decisions like this based on what you think looks good on your college application – find things that you are passionate about and do those things.

SSP students go on to great colleges (outcomes are published each year in their “Universal Times” newsletter so you can see yourself where alumni end up attending) but they are already strong students going into SSP so it’s difficult to know what impact the program has on college admissions.

2 Likes

How difficult is it to get into SSP as a Sophomore?

1 Like

It’s difficult but tough to know how difficult. For what it’s worth, my kids were both rising seniors when they attended – they said there were maybe one or two rising juniors at most in their 36-student sections.

The overall acceptance rate is around 10% each year. Just like applying to college, I would definitely recommend applying to some “safety” summer programs, especially as a rising junior.

1 Like

thank you so much for the help! i def agree that we should do things bc we are passionate ab them, which is why i have made up my mind about researching this summer, but i was just curious to see if ssp would be an effective way for doing so. thank you so much for the help!!!

1 Like

Since SSP had expanded into genomics this year and added one more astro campus, anyone have a sense of which program will be considered the most competitive (i.e., lowest acceptance rate): astro, biochem, or genomics? Or does each receive roughly the same number of applicants per campus?

Does anyone know when the decisions are announced for international students? Website says mid-march.

International decisions should be out now per SSP’s post on social media a few hours ago – check your email. Good luck!

anyone have any stats of previous acceptances?

Wooooo I got in :slight_smile: I am so happy!!

To my understanding the overall acceptance rate hovers at around 10% each year. Are you asking for like the academic stats of previously admitted people though?

yeah sorry that’s what i meant

I was admitted to SSP '22 (as international applicant). My stats:
Approx. 3.9/4.0 unweighted cumulative high school GPA (converted to a standard American 4.0-GPA)
Currently taking full IB Diploma (3 higher level IBs, 3 standard level IBs plus theory of knowledge, extended essay and CAS) (scored 41/42 points for semester 1)
Pursuing one high school level course (Qubit by Qubit) outside of school
Pursuing one college-level physics course via Stanford ULO (for 3 undergrad credits)
Participated in a course at HKU and Academy of the Talented member
Participated in QCSYS
1530 SAT (M: 770; ERW: 760)
2 coding-related internships
1 paper published
Received scholarship for my school fees worth about 80k USD
A bunch of co-curriculars at my school and outside school

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes