Summer Storage Units

<p>Current freshman wondering if any recommendations for summer storage?</p>

<p>There is a great storage place called Valguard 6820 Southwest 81st Terrace Miami, FL 33143
(305) 667-4447 The place is super clean,bright and has great access times to get in and out.My daughter used it for all her years at the U.They have summer college rental specials,and you can split units with roommates.I happened to have been to the storage unit a couple of times with my daughter,and they always remembered her.They were very friendly.Also a side note there is a restaurant next to the unit called the big cheese.This happens to be one of the hot spots to eat that caters to U students.Great food prices and atmosphere,all decorated with U memorabilia.Hope this helps</p>

<p>^mikemets - thanks for posting this information - we were looking for a place too. This place is < 3 miles south of campus, just before you get to Dadeland mall, so it’s pretty convenient as well. I imagine it was built with UM students in mind.</p>

<p>No Problem,Glad I could help.Great thing about Miami is that everything is close by.There is nothing that a student wont be able to do or get during there 4 years.Good luck to everyone that is going ,and for the Parents out there your Kids couldn’t have been picked a better school.The school gets the parents so involved,that I feel like I graduated from there.LOL</p>

<p>Really Mikemets? I am the parent of a freshman, and haven’t felt connected at all. What do you feel UM did to involve you as a parent? </p>

<p>Thanks for the storage rec. Any other move-out suggestions for out of staters? Can’t imagine how he is coming back up north with all his stuff - still a lot even if we do use a storage unit! May be moving in to frat house, so it is possible that he can store things there over the summer. Still unsure.</p>

<p>I’m sorry to hear that.When my daughter first was accepted,The University sent us a handbook with names and numbers of some of the parents that were living in the north.They use to send us the monthly Miami magazines as well as the Family newsletters.I guess we must have gave our email ,because we used to get emails from the school for all the viewing restaurants and bars that family members from the U would go to watch the football games .We also used to get emails for all special events that the U had up north.We also would get a letter from the President from time to time.When we went to orientation they had plenty of events for the parents,and family weekends we thought were great, We Thought the president always kept us in the loop and always made us feel welcome on campus. As far as storage its hard to do it any cheaper then storage units.Fed ex ground and ups ground are very expensive,and driving can be very expensive as well.Hope this helps</p>

<p>UMMom2015 - where up North do you live? I’m in upstate NY and we’re planning to take our SUV down on the AutoTrain, load it up with whatever doesn’t get put into the storage unit and drive back over 2 days. Looked it other options (like shipping stuff back via UPS/Fedex) and this was the most economical method for us.</p>

<p>We live on Long Island. And it is going to cost a lot for both of us to fly down, stay in a hotel and rent a car to help him, plus his airfare back. But we have to be back quickly as my other son graduates the same week. Of course if my Miami guy would confirm his final exam dates now we can get a better price, but no one seems to commit to anything around here. Stress . . .</p>

<p>Well, we know the final exam week is May 2-9, so if you can get his class code letters/numbers, I’ll bet the final exam dates for each are posted somewhere or one of the helpful students here can find out. </p>

<p>JetBlue has direct (one-way) flights out of JFK to FLL for under $120 on 5/6 thru 5/9 - that doesn’t sound too bad (compared to what I pay) - plus you get there in 3 hours instead of 7 for us. On the car rental, I have had great luck with National’s Emerald club - pay for midsize and take anything they have in the Emerald Aisle - always an SUV or minivan there. For hotel - defintely check out the deals UM offers at various hotels around the area:
<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/finance/index.php/travel_management/hotels/local_hotels_2012/[/url]”>Financial Affairs | University of Miami;

<p>You can stay at the Hotel Indigo near Dadeland for $89 per night - that is a sweet deal.
Just some thoughts…</p>

<p>We also lived on LI and for the first 3 years we were never able to fly down to help our daughter pack up, we would have loved to but it was just way to expensive.The storage for the summer was about $200.00 split between 2 kids.My daughter didn’t have a car,but she had a friend who had one.If she didn’t have a friend with a car they were going to look into zip-cars.I did remember that before she found a friend for storage I had researched a company called Door to Door storage.This might work out perfect for you.Its a little more expensive than regular storage but not much more.This company sends a Pod to the University,the pod gets delivered to a parking space on Campus,your student fills it up,and then the company takes it to there storage facility,and then they bring it back for the next semester.You can get another person to go in with you.At most it would cost about $300.00,and that can be split between 2.We also had her check 2 suitcases when she flew home for spring break,and 2 suitcases at the end of the semester.This way she had whatever she needed for the summer .I understand what you are going thru,hope this helps.</p>

<p>Found this thread from last year. When I was on campus at orientation, I saw a number of pods in the parking lots, but can’t recall the company name. It may have been the one above, but was wondering if anyone else knew or had additional suggestions. I am flying down to pack my son up in a couple of weeks, but am not sure about when he returns in August, so it may be worth the extra money. Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>My S is a sophomore. Last year we stored his stuff at A+ mini storage in Kendall (one of many locations around Miami ). They have college summer specials. It is a little further away but cheaper than the places near campus. We just reserved a unit at the same place for this summer’s storage.</p>

<p>I also used A+ mini storage last year. It was the cheapest by a long shot, and perfectly good. Just around 2 miles from campus. Easy to work with - no issues.</p>