Summer UA in Spain: Engineering

<p>Could anyone share their experiences/impression of this summer program? Ken Fridley is the program director. I am wondering if this would be a good program for my DS who is an engineering student at UA. He’s not crazy about studying Spanish but it would result in 9 units of credit (6 units of foreign language). Any other thoughts on this program?</p>

<p>My son’s a CivE major and Spanish minor so we’ve looked into this opportunity a couple times. The big negative for him is that you do stay with a host family while abroad. He did a summer abroad program in high school and felt a bit awkward in his host family situation and would prefer an opportunity now where he can stay in a dorm or similar, so I haven’t been able to convince him to pursue this.</p>

<p>I do know that he was in Dr. Fridley’s course last semester and they discussed it and I believe there are 3 different instructors who teach portions of the course. Dr. Fridley only teaches about 1 week of the program, I am not certain who the other instructors are.</p>

<p>Also since my S is a Spanish minor the Spanish for Engineer’s course offered would not count towards his minor, but there are also 3 credits of Social and Behavior granted for GES 225 (SB) – Society, Technology, and the Environment – International Perspectives.</p>

<p>It sounds like a good program for engineering students and since no prior Spanish is required, I assume there will be a large amount of English exposure during the course. I don’t have many other details, but my S may know more since Dr. Fridley did discuss it in their course, so if you have questions, I can see if he has answers.</p>

<p>Any idea how much this program costs?</p>

<p>It seems to be $3900 + airfare and runs from 5/17-6/23.</p>

<p>More info here: [Programs</a> > Brochure > The University of Alabama](<a href=“Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama”>Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this info. It looks so exciting.</p>