Summer Visit

<p>Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with that phrase, but I have never heard anyone say that “I attended the Crimson Tide”. The “Crimson Tide” refers to the athletic teams of “The University”, most notably, the football team. There is a specific story about how this name came to be associated with UA football. It has something to do with a phrase a journalist used to describe UA’s surprising performance against another team. Anyone have the link?</p>

<p>Here you go. The story of how the Elephant became our mascot is on the page as well. </p>

<p>[Paul</a> W.Bryant Museum](<a href=“http://bryantmuseum.ua.edu/direction.cfm?dir=traditions1]Paul”>http://bryantmuseum.ua.edu/direction.cfm?dir=traditions1)</p>

<p>So glad you posted that. I wondered if the elephant kinda got ignored LOL! Does he (or she) have a name?</p>

<p>Elephant mascot is named “Big Al”.</p>

<p>Big Al definitely doesn’t get ignored. Little kids absolutely adore him and he is mobbed at events with parents wanting to get their kids a picture with him. </p>

<p>I think 3 or 4 students hold the title of Big Al during the season. It’s way too hot in that suit and way too much work for just one person especially during football games.</p>

<p>We mostly say The University of Alabama or Bama.</p>

<p>I’ve visited the Paul Bryant museum and missed the story of the ‘tide’ (i.e., tied!)</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>By the way there is another version of how we got linked with an elephant.</p>

<p>“The earliest account attributes the Rosenberger’s Birmingham Trunk Company for the elephant association. Owner J. D. Rosenberger, whose son was a student at the University, outfitted the undefeated 1926 team with “good luck” luggage tags for the trip to the 1927 Rose Bowl. The company’s trademark, displayed on the tags, was a red elephant standing on a trunk. When the football team arrived in Pasadena, the reporters greeting them, including syndicated columnist Grantland Rice, associated their large size with the elephants on their luggage. [1] When the 1930 team returned to the Rose Bowl, the company furnished leather suitcases, paid for by the Alumni Association, to each team member”</p>

<p>I rarely see her, but UA also has a female elephant mascot named Big Alice.</p>

<p>So there is also an urban legend (don’t know if that is what it really is lol!) that the elephant came because it had a tusk, for "Tusc"aloosa, and of course, the size and skill of UA lineman:)</p>