Summer visit?

<p>Alabama has recently risen on my daughters list of potential schools so we are planning a visit. I am pretty sure we couldn’t pull off a visit before school is out this spring and she is in marching band / color guard so the earliest we will be able to get out in the fall will be the middle of November which I think will be too late for a first visit.</p>

<p>Since we have not been to this area of the country before and we love road trips we have decided to take a week this summer and do it as a family. We are waiting to talk to the representative at the local college fair 5/17 to schedule, but right now it looks like it will be sometime in the last two weeks of June or the second week of July… after music camp, before marching camp but not over the holiday. </p>

<p>Will she be getting a adequate taste of the campus visiting in summer rather than when in full session? </p>

<p>I welcome recommendations on places to stay/eat as well as any other input on this trip.</p>

<p>I’m happy to hear your family is planning a visit. You may want to go ahead and contact the UA and reserve a space for a campus tour.</p>

<p>If your D will be in the Honors College, I’d suggest you contact them directly to schedule a personalized tour.</p>

<p>How long will you be staying? I’d recommend allowing 2 days for touring campus and Tuscaloosa, or more if you’d like.</p>

<p>As far as places to stay, my recommendations would be The Hampton on Harper Lee since it is close to campus, The Holiday Inn Express, or The Hilton Garden Inn. Check prices online before making reservations by phone.</p>

<p>You’ll find a list of great places to eat on another thread within this board: Dreamland, Archibald & Woodrows, The Cypress Inn, etc…</p>

<p>What is your D’s intended major and what are her interests? Will you be traveling with other siblings in tow? This info will help others provide you with items of specific interest to you and your family.</p>

<p>Welcome, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Yes, if your D will be in the Honors College then do this…</p>

<p>Once you set up your campus tour online, please send emails to Allison and Susan in the Honors College so that they can arrange the rest of your day…meeting with faculty, touring Honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>So, first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much! </p>

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! </p>

<p>She is tentative English major. She is coming to understand that will probably require some type of post-grad degree as well since she does not want to go educations and she is beginning to think of pre-law… which is why we are focusing on schools that offer significant merit aid. </p>

<p>Bama got a boost when we went to Winter Guard International last month and Alta Marea was staying in the same hotel and was one of the top college competitors in the world class. She is toying with the idea of color guard in college so this interested her. </p>

<p>It will be a 10 hour drive for us, so I am thinking 3 days, maybe more with excursions to the surrounding areas.</p>

<p>I appreciate the input so I can move ahead now on scheduling. I had contacted the area recruiter that will be at the college fair and had hoped that she would be able to provide further information on how to proceed… but you guys have filled that gap!</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the summers are hot and humid (icky!), so bring appropriate clothing…avoid polyesters, lycra, etc…and opt for natural breathable fabrics…and not jeans!</p>

<p>Cotton sheeting capris, shorts, tops, etc.</p>

<p>have you looked at the Restaurant and Hotel info here?</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html?highlight=restaurants[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html?highlight=restaurants&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13186247-post50.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13186247-post50.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Things to do… and need to add maybe a little visit to the new Farmers Market while visiting the RiverWalk</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13871659-post68.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13871659-post68.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Yep, familiar with the icky … we make it a practice to visit family in CA in the summer to get out of the ick here in TX, its already significantly icky here, AC was on this morning… but this summer will be the summer of ick :)</p>

<p>Can you give me a feel for how represenative a summer visit will be? Are there many students around for summer programs or will it be pretty sparse? So far the schools visited that we got the best reactions on were those where D saw students that she could see herself hanging out with.</p>

<p>Can you give me a feel for how represenative a summer visit will be? Are there many students around for summer programs or will it be pretty sparse? So far the schools visited that we got the best reactions on were those where D saw students that she could see herself hanging out with.</p>

<p>Summer visits can be “hit or miss”. Of course most students have gone home for the summer. If you visit on a Bama Bound day, then there will be incoming frosh there. </p>

<p>There will also be grad students on campus…so older students. </p>

<p>Bama also holds Band Camps and Cheer Camps in the summer, so there will be high school kids on campus…so that may not give an accurate feel for who will be attending.</p>

<p>* So far the schools visited that we got the best reactions on were those where D saw students that she could see herself hanging out with.*</p>

<p>Sounds like you were able to visit those schools during the school year. That’s a different situation.</p>

<p>I’m not sure that a summer visit accurately gives a prospective student an idea of who a student will be hanging around with. For that, she needs to visit on a regular school day.</p>

<p>And, if the campus isn’t holding any events on the day that you visit, many of the on-campus dining venues will be closed.</p>

<p>None of this is odd, it’s typical for visiting any school in the summer.</p>

<p>Of course most students won’t be on campus during the summer, but some will be. The UA isn’t as busy and full during the summer months, but it is your best option now. There will be some UA students on campus, some college students from other schools, lots of entering freshmen attending Bama Bound sessions, high school students participating in UA Early College experiences, and many summer camps/programs for younger students (ballet, sports, etc.) By all means, don’t wait until November to visit. Safe travels and enjoy your visit.</p>

<p>^^^Sorry M2CK, our posts crossed…oops!</p>

<p>The Capstone Inn is another possibility of a place to stay. The location is great since it is right there on campus and will allow you easy access, but check the rates carefully and don’t pay a premium to stay there. While not walking distance, the Hampton on Harper Lee is also very nearby.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the input! I will try to schedule to coincide with a Bama Bound date. </p>

<p>The only school we have visited when school was in session was OU. We visited several schools on the west coast this last summer and found it mixed as to the number of students around. Berkeley had enough for her to say she was not interested in taking the tour :slight_smile: We have also visited Oregon U, CSU Chico, Tulane, TCU, and a couple small privates on the west coast that were both empty when we stopped by except the admin office. </p>

<p>I am loking forward to this! I just told my husband we need to set the date for this trip today so I can get started on the logistics.</p>

<p>stuckinTX…we visited last year in June and it was our first time on Campus. It was not a BB weekend, but there were still penty of people around for my D get a feel for campus and to see herself there. The bus tour given by Capstone guides was full and when we went to lunch it was pretty crowded with kids from cheer camps, etc, as M2CK mentioned. </p>

<p>We arranged our tour thru the Honors Department and if you D qualifies I highly recommend that you contact Alison ASAP! She is a wonderful resource and really helped us plan a tour that was personal and comprehensive. A professor in her major was on campus so we were able to meet with them. </p>

<p>We did have time to go to the Bear Bryant Museum which is on campus. I highly recommend that you take an hour and go. Watch the movie and walk around and look at the exhibits. It truly explains some of what makes UA so special.</p>

<p>Walk over to the Strip, which is adjacent to campus there are many places to eat and cool off. Some cute shops too.</p>

<p>Mugshots, downtown has great burgers and the biggest glasses of sweet tea I have ever seen.</p>

<p>Enjoy your trip! Roll Tide-</p>

<p>buzymom3 - thanks for your sharing about your summer visit. I looked up BB dates and it should be easy to plan around being on campus at least one day and maybe even to hit the honors session.</p>

<p>I find your member name offensive. Why start out with something like that?</p>

<p>Just sayin.</p>

<p>Maybe she works in a glue factory? Or pricks herself a lot while sewing? Or maybe she just feels like she’s stuck in Texas.</p>

<p>I’m hoping your post was a joke and you really aren’t butt hurt over someone’s username. Good Lord.</p>

<p>I’m not losing sleep over it, but really, why join a forum and offend people right off the bat? </p>

<p>This UA forum is so very positive and helpful, it just seemed glaring to me that anyone would even consider adopting a moniker that denigrates other members. I certainly wouldn’t have joined with SwitzerSister or something provoking like that.</p>

<p>Surely, there is SOMETHING other than a negative connotation the OP could have chosen.</p>

<p>I’m just embracing “see something, say something” ha. </p>

<p>Probably should have said it in a PM.</p>

<p>I am sorry that you find my member name offensive and will refrain from posting in the future. </p>

<p>Thank you to those who were so helpful with their input.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Please do not leave this board because of the sensitivity of others. There is not a damn thing wrong with your username. I know offensive and your name comes no where close to crossing any line.</p>

<p>UA is a great school and you will not find a more knowledgeable, helpful, board than this one. Set up your visit and continue to come on here and ask about anything you need to ask about. </p>

<p>Welcome to the board. Good luck and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Well, anyway, moving on…</p>

<p>OP, I wouldn’t worry so much about not getting a good feel for the campus during the summer session. Yes, it’s not the same as during the regular academic year, but I would describe the campus in July as a more relaxed and easy-going version of the campus you would see in October or March.</p>

<p>Stuck…</p>

<p>Please don’t refrain from posting. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I think your screen name just means that you’re looking for adventure someplace else for a change. I don’t think it means that you hate your state.</p>

<p>^^:) No need to leave the board. :)</p>