SUNY Binghamton Class of 2023

DD got accepted early Dec and just recd in the mail today acceptance to Bing U Scholars program and FRI program but no mention of any $$, in-state

I got into Binghamton today!!

DS was accepted to Harpur and we are OOS. Yesterday he got an invitation to FRI–I didn’t know he applied lol. Anyone have insight to that program? Pros/Cons?

Congratulations @familyfromLI and @butete . Daughter (in-state) got a letter for admission into scholars yesterday, but no word regarding freshman research immersion (FRI) or financials.

S is very anxious and a little bit frustrate of waiting for the decision. My S has a 1500 SAT and 94 GPA - mostly honors classes along with 4 APs, pretty decent EC’s. He applied RD in early Nov to Watson, in-state. Just wish that he will receive a decision soon so he could focus on his school works.

Congrats to all who are in! Good luck to anyone still waiting for decision from Bing!

@chowbellanj - FRI is a freshman research program. Students are invited into the program. It gives freshman an opportunity to do actual research about topics of interest to them. My DD is in the neuroscience stream doing research on OCD. The program really enhances her whole educational experience.

My son, who was accepted EA for Chem, received Honors and FRI invitations yesterday. OOS, SAT 1560, 95UW all honors/AP magnet HS, heavy leadership, job x 3yrs. $14k merit aid + study away stipend.

If you get honors and FRI do they come in the same envelope? My son got an envelope yesterday for FRI but nothing about Honors. Does that mean it’s a no go?

For our student, the FRI and HONORS came in the same envelope.

@Kona2012 Both in same envelope for my son.

Yes, same package- looks like a certificate stating you got in Honors & FRI

@Sparcky Please tell me more about the study away stipend. Did it come with merit letter or Honors/FRI notification? (My kiddo with similar stats got Honors & FRI, but only $13.5k merit and no mention of stipend.)

@DumDeeDummm , Binghamton “Scholars” seems to come automatically with the $3,500 study abroad stipend, see https://www.binghamton.edu/scholars/resources/scholars-award-3500.html

FRI seems to be a separate program, reading the posts here it seems that some students appear to have gotten invited into both programs, others only in scholars or FRI. I’m not sure how they decide on who to invite to one or the other.

Here is an interesting statistics about honors programs across SUNY schools:
https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/summary-sheets/honors_programs.pdf
It reports that last years mid SAT’s were between 1490 and 1550 and 110 students enrolled into Bing’s honors program.

From last years thread it appears that Binghamton does award merit aid mainly to out of state students, mainly to make up for the difference in out of state and in-state tuition.

I have not seen posts here with respect to need based financial aid.

@DumDeeDummm It’s in his Scholars/Honors letter. Says eligible for a one time award for study abroad or summer internship/research experience. Maybe it’s because of his major or some other variable. I was off on the merit, it is $13.5k. Bing is an unlikely to be his choice and I forgot what the exact number was.

Has anyone who applied RD to Harpur received decisions yet?

To add to the links provided, you may find articles on various scholarships and students in the student newspaper by going back issues here: https://www.bupipedream.com/ Also a good way to learn about the school in general.

any merit scholarships for instate so far?

couple of people from my school have already gotten accepted RD but applied more than a month after me, why? I have a 1370 and 95 gpa uw with 3 AP’s, mostly honors, and dual enrollment, how are my chances

@turtlezz What major did you apply to? Did your friends apply for the same major?

@jdcollegedad I applied undecided to harpur, but I think they were STEM majors