SUNY Buffalo class of 2027 admission

We finally got our financial aid pack …no merit which I’m surprised about considering we have received from other SUNYs … also more expensive with a lot of more expensive add ons vs other SUNYs

1 Like

Thanks. Nothing yet here. I’m assuming it came as an email? Versus regular mail. How do you check FA at UBuffalo? UBIT login?

Thanks.

Figured it out. D23 ignored email she got on Christmas. Also I would ignore the personal expense, books and supplies and transportation in the total cost. Those vary and are not paid to college. It just the spending money travel to school. Etc. I would total cost at $25,600 + what every extra costs you expect from above.

Actually I called UB and spoke to the financial aid office, and they told me the student account center would be the ones to answer what these additional fees are for here what they told me and below is the breakdown

Comprehensive fees - mandatory cannot be waived
Transportation fees - mandatory cannot be waived. These fees are the upkeep for parking lots snow, plowing, shuttle, buses, etc…
Academic excellence and success fee - cannot be waived, mandatory
Student activity fees- mandatory cannot be waived
Books and supplies that may go up or down depending

Personal expenses- obviously that is a cost that obviously is dependent upon the student.

Also, here’s the link that explains each of these fees from the UB website

I don’t think the $2576 I see for Transportation is an actual fee. There is a Transportation Fee that is lumped into the Comprehensive Fees ($2970).

The way I look at is: Total cost you will be billed by Buffalo is around $25,528. This can vary because dorms and meal plans also vary in price.

1 Like

When I called the comprehensive fee does not include the transportation fee that’s why it’s spelled out as separate on the list of fees. I went thru each fee with her in the phone… you may want to call the Student Center as well for your peace of mind :blush:

Huh, I didn’t get a financial aid package, but that might be because I was a semi-finalist for the presidential scholarship, so they might be waiting for that to be out :thinking:.

Did you check the UB Hub Center ? That is where you will find it

I’m struggling to get into the center, I’ll keep trying and reach out to them if needed. Thank you!

Are you using the same login that you use for your application portal? That’s the one you should be using……

It worked, it wasn’t before, I had to reset the password a few hours ago. It’s 20k a year with 8k in scholarships already, I really hope I get the presidential (15k), 20k is so unaffordable for my family and it’s the same price as my privates. I need to have a cheap option :frowning:

1 Like

I just got accepted to the Honors College yesterday for Biology. But they didn’t notify me of any scholarship. I’m going to give them a call tomorrow.

What’s up with the very high transportation fee estimate at UB on the FA letter? We wouldn’t pay a fraction of that personally living only 2 hours away. Or is this some other school related assessment?

very odd about the large transportation fee. I see that on the final FA letter but have no idea what that is. No other SUNY school D got into includes that. We assumed that was a non-billable item.

Thanks Calyx. Looked into it more and you are correct! That whopping transportation fee is billable and see it on our final FA estimates of COA. That is ridiculous and adds another $2500 to our prior cost estimates. I looked at the other SUNY offers and Bing fee is only $250 and nothing at Brockport. It is a real surprise and not a good one. Kind of a hidden fee in my opinion that should be disclosed better.

It’s not going to be on your bill. Trust me.

Go here. Costs & Aid | Undergraduate Admissions | University at Buffalo

That Transportation cost is lumped into the estimated related expenses. It’s so UB can give need based FA to cover those costs if needed.

It may be in related expenses estimate on website but it is an extra that no SUNY college asseses and if you have the final FA summary from UB it is there. The transportation fee is mandatory and billable. It is not an indirect expense like personal travel and stuff . We researched after Calyx pointed it out. COA at UB is $31,710 for 2023 per official financial aid award letter. Not what they post on website.

Thank you for confirming the above like I said I had conversations with student center representative and they said that the transportation fee covers parking shuttles, etc. and it’s not part of that comprehensive fee that’s listed as part of the COA. And you are correct. It definitely increases the overall billable amount

1 Like

Yes, you have been very helpful and glad you dug down to clarify for all of us. I find that transportation fee a bit deceptive to tell you the truth and nothing similar to that “transportation” fee at other SUNY. I kept wondering why Bing was less even though room and board was higher. A lot has to do do with that transportation fee I think.

1 Like

Your welcome I am an excel spreadsheet fanatic lol so I need to pull together ever cost both billable and non billable for each college to determine overall annual costs before we commit … I want to be as close as I can to total costs so I’ve called every school we are considering for a complete breakdown list on what we would be billed for outside of tuition room and board …. And I have found out how sneaky they can be by not spelling this out on some financial aid packs …. We don’t want any surprises :blush:

1 Like