SUNY Geneseo vs. Top Private University - A decision many of us had to make

<p>Interesting article. This is the exact decision I had to make NYU vs. Geneseo. I chose Geneseo and have no regrets. I saved tons of money and used it to attend NYU for Grad school. </p>

<p>Guest</a> Post: Giving a SUNY School the Old College Try Jean Chatzky blog :: The Difference :: Personal finance, debt, and money advice</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing. This forum needs these factual success stories to counter all the people who insist these kids go to the very best UG they can and not worry about the money. </p>

<p>3 yrs ago we were looking for any tidbit of info to help us make our decision on the best course to set.</p>

<p>My son took a full ride to PSU instead of going top 10 schools and is now applying to grad schools. I hope I have a similiar story to tell.</p>

<p>I’m going to start collecting these success stories so that others know it’s possible.</p>

<p>Sure. Geneseo has really been a rising star in the SUNY System for the past 10 years. I think more people, not just the parents, are finally seeing the value of a public liberal arts education. Geneseo is just as strong as many privates. For undergrad, unless I received an incredible package at one of the top privates, I just couldn’t see paying all of that money. Today, I am a top Executive at a healthcare system in NY. So, SUNY can get you where you want to be. I just believe in saving the money for graduate school.</p>

<p>I chose Geneseo over a private school even after being offered me significant financial aid, good decision? Time will tell. =]</p>

<p>which ones better for a pre med program SUNY Geneseo or SUNY Stonybrook .</p>

<p>^They’re both pretty good.</p>

<p>In terms of pre-med alone I don’t think you could go wrong with either. Both are pretty strong in sciences among the SUNY schools.
However they are very different in terms of location, size and just overall as colleges, so in that sense i’d go with the one you think you would be happier and more successful at.</p>

<p>thats pretty funny actually because i chose Geneseo over NYU for money but i really like it here. I’m saving the loans for law school…</p>

<p>Exactly. If you are going to grad school to me it just makes sense to graduate undergrad with little or no debt. Save the debt for grad school.</p>

<p>I’m a freshman at geneseo now and what it came down to when picking colleges was the price. I got into some good expensive schools like NYU, Syracuse, Penn State, and some others. But for the price i had to pick a suny school, so why not go to the best one? Geneseo is great, everyones pretty chill, all smart kids from NY, most kids want to be doctors, lawyers, teachers etc., so definitely consider geneseo when picking where to go to school</p>

<p>^ eaglesfan- do you feel that a student who wanted to go to SU or PSU would equally like Geneseo.</p>

<p>To geneseograd–Geneseo has been great for decades. It was a top SUNY in the early 80s when I worked at one of the other colleges.</p>

<p>Very true MD Mom - Geneseo is just great!!!</p>

<p>My “d” applied to a large variety of schools from DC to Boston. GPA 3.82 at private catholic HS. Accepted at Geneseo, American, GWU, Providence, Syracuse, and St. Michael’s and accepted as a sophomore transfer to Cornell. St. Michael’s offered wonderful merit scholarship ($20,000), SU program was amazing but they only offered $6000 merit scholarship (both parents are alum), and nothing from the others (which surprised us). Geneseo was not originally on the top of the list but in the end she made a fiscal decision to go to Geneseo and she couldn’t be happier. Great kids, challenging classes, lots of extra-circ activities, a charming campus, walkable downtown, oh and a Wegman’s. She’s thinking of changing majors (she is only freshman) and feels she will find something easily there. She auditioned and got into the student run TV station as a freshman, something she would not have been able to do at SU. She will have enough in her college fund to complete all 4 years and probably some grad school too. Good luck in your search. -UpstateSyr Mom</p>